News: Duke's Finley Suspended

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by *Oracle*, Nov 18, 2010.

1. *Oracle*

*Oracle* Member

Apr 11, 2008
    Lancaster
    Anybody else see this?

Wow - There's never a good time to be suspended but on the very first day of the NCAA's?

Feel for his teammates!

Finley Suspended Indefinitely From Men's Soccer Program
    11/18/2010
    - Duke Sports Information

Courtesy: Duke Sports Information
    http://www.goduke.com
    DURHAM, N.C. - Duke University men's soccer head coach John Kerr announced on Thursday, Nov. 18 that sophomore forward Ryan Finley has been suspended indefinitely for violation of team rules, effective immediately.

The Blue Devils open NCAA Tournament play on Nov. 18, hosting Coastal Carolina in the first round. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m., at Koskinen Stadium.

- d - u - k - e -

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Wow.

I'm gonna guess this increases the chances he turns pro. That, or transfers.

Assuming the suspension is legit, gotta give Kerr some dap for sticking to the rules and punishing the kid for what he did. Take some balls to suspend the nation's leading scorer heading into the NCAA Tournament.

3. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think if Finley has the chance for GA contract this makes it more likely he takes it. I agree, that Duke's coach has to get some serious props for sticking to the rules he set out for the team and the consequence that come with breaking them.

4. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Will this hurt his GA chances as there is usually only one thing that gets you suspended for "violating team rules"? See Kyle Bethel. I would think a little red flag for pro scouts.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    At Duke you can get suspended for other things. Maybe he didn't get a good rating on someone's Fu(k List.

6. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009

Quote of the year.

But really, anyone know what he did?

7. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care who are, that's funny right there!

8. bytheshore8

bytheshore8 New Member

Jan 22, 2005
    I had him several years ago in ODP program.... Really really nice kid... cant imagine what he did

9. eastcoaster

eastcoaster New Member

Nov 23, 2009
    So does anyone know what Finley did to get suspended.

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Sounds like there's a chance he might play Sunday and that the infraction, whatever it was, wasn't so bad that he was kicked off the team or out of school or anything like that.

From the Duke student paper:

When asked why Finley would be suspended at Duke’s most important time of the year, head coach John Kerr was curt.

“Just a little bit of a disciplinary issue,” he said.

-SNIP-

Kerr was short when discussing if Finley would be allowed to return for Duke’s second round game or any other matches the Blue Devils might play.

“I don’t know yet. We haven’t gone there yet, and we’ll see.”​

http://dukechronicle.com/article/finley-suspended-indefinitely

11. Bid&Offer

Bid&Offer Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Ryan Findley transferring to Univ. Notre Dame for fall.

12. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so does he sit out a year?? :confused:

13. bisbee

bisbee Member

Sep 9, 2010
    I don't think so as long as this is his first transfer.

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    In soccer, and most non-revenue sports, players don't have to sit out for a year if the school he is transferring from releases him from his scholarship.

Basically, because these are non-revenue sports, keeping a player on scholarship when he isn't playing is expensive and few schools want to do that. I mean, they'll do it for redshirts but they don't like to do it for transfers.

With very few exceptions, soccer players get released from their scholarship and can play right away when they transfer. One of the few higher-profile of examples of a player transferring and not getting released was when Mehdi Ballouchi left Creighton after his freshman year and Warming and Mimms didn't release him. They were pretty miffed because Ballouchy didn't tell them he wasn't coming back till the summer and they didn't have any time to find a replacement.

So, Finley should be able to play right away for Notre Dame. No way Kerr makes him sit out a year as it will make him look vidictive and potentially give elite players pause to sign with Duke and Kerr can't take that chance in the ACC or to compete nationally.

And with the 5 starters they lost to graduation, including leading scorer Steven Perry, I imagine he'll have little trouble cracking the starting lineup.

Anyone know if Finley looked into turning pro rather than transferring? And, has it ever been announced what he did to get suspended in the first place?

15. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the clarification. I had heard recently that Canada schools require a 365 day sit out. But NCAA div I doesn't have any restrictions, unless the player is not released? And no school should be able to afford to burn a scholarship like that, right? It is "expensive" in terms of opportunity lost by not being able to provide the scholarship to another player or is it literally a financial burden as well? How so?

16. Vilhelm

Vilhelm Member

Sep 9, 2005
    Is it just me or has this happened every year with one/two kids since Kerr has been at Duke?

Kyle Bethel is the obvious one, but there have been others.

17. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Still haven't heard what he did to get suspended. He trained with Randers last summer. I think this was before the rule change where college players could play with and against pros and still keep eligibility. I think he ended up training with the U19 team or something to be safe eligibility wise. Randers had a friendly while he was there but he didn't play, Randers said it was because of the college rules.

Kerr was the one who helped set up the trials. http://www.yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=6452