News: Drunken, Promiscuous College Roommate of Other MLS Teams' News Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by kgilbert78, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I disagree. LD is not as good as he was a couple years ago and a half hearted LD is just taking up space.

Also, I really wanted to type coxswain.

2. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

3. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it isn't. Not even remotely. It's more like cutting off an annoying ingrown fingernail so you can deal with the pus.

U.S. Soccer is trying to transition into a different style of play. (Or so we keep hearing.) Bringing someone from the old guard back into the fray who hasn't been around for a while could hold that back.

If Landon Donovan were to come out and say "Not only am I in, I'm all in, for this year and for next year," I'd feel differently. Because Landon Donovan is still probably the most talented player in the entire U.S. pool. But the problem is that historically, we've seen LD pull disappearing acts in U.S. kits off and on for years now. And that was BEFORE coming out and saying that his heart may not be in it anymore. Plus, he's older, and less physically reliable than he was in the past.

I'm worried that if we started playing him in Qualifying, we'd be setting ourselves up for a scenario where Landon carries us into the World Cup, as the focal point and our most important player, only to see him throw up his hands at the end of the Galaxy's season and say he doesn't need it anymore. And then, look what we've got -- we're going into a World Cup year needing to change how we play and who we play through again, and no meaningful matches to prepare us.

If I actually had serious doubt as to whether or not the U.S. is actually going to qualify for this bitch, I might have a completely different take. I'd be saying yeah, bring in whoever it takes to get us in, and we'll figure out the rest later. But deep down, the U.S. is still in the top three on paper, and even if they slipped to fourth, they'd probably wipe the floor with whoever they got in a playoff. And that being the case, I don't want to risk bringing someone in half-assed. I'd rather play the guys who WANT to play in Brazil '14, and let them take their lumps and improve their games.

Draghignazzo and kgilbert78 repped this.
  4. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Well said. And what's more, I think it could be even riskier than merely a guy taking up space.

I go back to those comments late last year when he basically all but called out some teammates in the program for possibly thinking he was faking injury, coasting, etc. Of course Klinsmann denied that, and covered for LD, but that is one helluva serious claim to level at one's teammates. Yes, there are certainly fans that think that, and probably some in the media, too. And yes Landon, God forbid, maybe even some of your teammates. I understand he's only human and he was hurting and for all we know still is, but come on, man!

5. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would agree with all of this...
    If I believed this
    I think we are in danger of not making it. Grave danger. After all, is there another kind?

I haven't seen very much positive out of the national team in many months to make me think we are going to get many points on the road.

TrueCrew repped this.
  6. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gross. You're gross.

Got to pick your battles right? Transitioning to a different style of play seems like a secondary concern to QUALIFY FOR NEXT WORLD CUP.

This is stupid. Landon Donovan isn't a "not only am I in, I'm all in" kind of guy. He's an enigma. He's unpredictable and non committal. He gets home sick. He doesn't have the "drive" all of us think we'd have if that was our life. Well tough cookies. He's one of our three best out field players. We need him far more than he needs us. Sorry if that makes you uncomfortable.

Play your best players. This shit isn't complicated. You'd think Crew fans, if anyone, would have learned this lesson.

The above scenario is preferable to not qualifying.

Ah, I see. You are just miscalculating the risk of not qualifying and taking some bullshit nonsensical "principled" moral stand like you normally do. OK.

7. foozer

foozer Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indy
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, it's simple: if Donovan's head and heart are in it, he plays (rather, I think he should) for the US. If not, collect a paycheck for the Galaxy and let the team continue its transition. An in form, motivated Donovan is a game changer for the US. But, as others have said, if he's not in it 100% then I wouldn't even bother.

Edited to say only LD knows where he's at we'll have to trust his judgement on this. The ball is at his feet.

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  8. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the Landon thing:

1) KC's insistence we don't need our best player to quality seems misplaced. We are in danger of not qualifying. Grave danger. This is always more of a struggle than newbies and fanboys seem to remember/think it will be. And the other 4 teams in the Hex contain no minnows this time. There are no easy points on the road. We've already lost Honduras, we've already lost in Kingston in the previous round. Azteca and Costa Rica have been houses of horrors historically. And Panama is no picnic either. We better not choke away points at home, or this is going to be real interesting.

The future is uncertain and the end is always near. You play your best team until you qualify, then fiddle around. You don't fiddle around while you are trying to qualify.

2) You actually think JK is changing the way we play in some meaningful way that LD can't adapt to? If you mean by playing somewhere between 3-5 DMs/CM types every game, with at least one wide right/left (or sometimes both), then you are onto something. But we have very little creativity in CM. Never a #10. Two 6s and an 8 lines up as one six and two eights is hardly revolutionary. And none of it makes a bit of difference to LD, who will be wide anyway.

9. ZipSix

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does this mean? What's a 6? What's an 8?

10. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems to me you would call him in. Let him practice with the Nats and if he is better than the other guy he plays and if not then he doesn't

11. NewEnglandClamChowder

Jul 28, 2012
    The Eyetalian Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  12. ZipSix

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I still don't get it.

13. invalid

invalid Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Landon's just picking up where Beckham left off.

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  14. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    6 = DCM
    8 = CM/ACM

ZipSix repped this.
  15. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Bingo. And to me that's the irony in all of this, he was the one who publicly questioned Becks' commitment in the first place. Not to say it wasn't warranted at the time, because it absolutely was.

So in a similar vein, did any US regular publicly challenge LD at any point last year? I'm not asking rhetorically, just saying I must have missed it.

16. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. That's why I was against hiring Klinsmann in the first place. I thought he was too interested in revamping stuff than actually coaching. But we are where we are. And I don't think we're going to fail to qualify, LD or not. You disagree? Fine -- we can disagree.

It's NOT stupid. All the things you said to describe him -- unpredictable, non-commital, etc -- do you think that might have something to do with the various uniformed no-shows he's pulled over the years? He could get away with it for a while, because he was not only our best player, he was our best by leaps and bounds. But now we also have Dempsey and Bradley who are not just good, they're great, and Donovan is becoming less reliable and has had some lingering injuries. He's certainly not too old -- he's only 31-ish -- but when there's a four-month long stretch where the topic of conversation is whether or not Donovan's going to retire -- I'm entitled to be concerned.

And by the way -- being non-commital and half-assed isn't something Klinsmann is going to put up with like Arena and Bradley did.

Really? Like I said -- we can disagree on our chances of qualifying. But calling my opinion "bullshit" morality -- what? I'm just saying what I think is going to benefit us most when we get to Brazil. Playing a guy that I honestly don't believe is going to be a part of that squad doesn't fit that.

Hey, I'll be happy to be wrong. I think a USMNT with a Donovan who cares is better than a USMNT without Donovan. But I don't want the guy around if he's wondering the whole time if it's really worth it, or if he's going to be a distraction, or if other players are questioning his committment.

People worried we weren't going to survive the last round, too. Guess what -- we lost one road game, and won all our home matches, and advanced. Nothing has happened until we drop points at home to a team other than Mexico.

17. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012
    I think Landon should have taken the whole year off. The guy is burned out and you can see it in his eyes. At times last year he had the "1000 yard stare." One offseason isn't going to be enough time to recoup his mental and physical fatigue after so many straight years.

18. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think, for the first time, you and I are in complete and total agreement.

LD doesn't sound like he needs a break because he's tired and burnt out -- he sounds done. And I can't even blame him -- he's been under the bright spotlight as a pro and a full national teamer since he was 19. He's had multiple seasons where he went overseas and had no offseason. He pretty much bore the brunt of the blame (along with Arena) for the 2006 World Cup disaster. And now the national team is in transition to a new style with new players and a new coach. I couldn't really fault him for not wanting to go through it again, when he's already been through three World Cup cycles. I can understand not wanting to fly to Honduras and Mexico City and Panama City, along with the domestic travel from a long MLS season.

The guy's just gassed. He's said so himself. If being off for a few months was all it took to recharge his batteries and find his love for the process again, OK -- I'm in. I'm just skeptical.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what any of us think. Donovan, Klinsmann, and the people who are actually involved in this thing know a hell of a lot more about it than we do. We just have to trust that they make the right decision.

19. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Brazilian investor to provide $80M to build Orlando major league soccer stadium

!!!
    !!!
    http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/brazilian-investor-provide-80m-build-orlando-major/nWRkR/

20. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    My favorite player of all times used to wear #6 back in the 80's. He was a CB.

21. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This is obviously not a hard requirement in the modern game and is only loosely adhered to and only in certain situations anymore, but there are those still that make references to the positional #s (like was done here) for the purposes of discussing tactics.

You're "#10-shirt", certainly does not have to wear the #10. A lot of people understand what is meant by this even if they had no exposure to the full positional #s before because it is still used quite frequently to describe a playmaker and even today a lot of playmakers are awarded or request to wear #10 as a badge of honor, so people know what that means without knowing the entire 11-man schema. Similarly #9 is still in use, though not as much. And even though no one really talks about why, #1 is still the most common # for a starting GK.

No there is no rule that says any position has to be any #, but as evidenced here, you can still talk about player roles via a field # in a logical, if not literal sense based on this old-school numbering.

23. Macgruber

Macgruber Member

May 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Orlando can get a deal in place to beat out NYC2 for team #20.

Orlando would fill the need of a franchise in the Southeast. They've had good attendances for a USL team.

24. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, they probably won't be a big draw as a "Southern team." In Southern minds, Florida exists entirely on its own, somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic, so there wouldn't be a whole lot of residual regional interest like there is for the Atlanta teams in other sports.

25. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012
    He clearly has not done his due diligence. This will not amount to anything.