Drogba confirms he is leaving chelsea

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Fanaddict, May 22, 2012.

1. Jdgedwill

Jdgedwill Member+

Jun 15, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Fire supporter and a Chelsea fan I would love it if we got Drogba, my dog is named Drogba. We named him that because not only is Drogba one of my favorite players, he also fakes injuries when he doesn't get his way.

2. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'll bet ya he would, actually. Isn't he a Chelsea fan?

3. Jdgedwill

Jdgedwill Member+

Jun 15, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    14-15 million seems crazy unless its 14-15 million Yuan. 1 yuan is about 16 cents, maybe his agent didn't figure in the conversion rate and that's why he's unhappy in China.

4. sWo97

sWo97 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His and many other agents are just after the big payday. Unfortunately they are being paid (or not sometimes lol) huge salaries to play in leagues that can't compete with our PDL division.

5. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago

With both him and Anelka splitting from China as fast as they could, I'd be surprised if anybody ever goes there again, even for the massive amounts of money they made.

6. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember he's all talk, I don't think he's EVER going to sign that so called Keane money player.

LocoGueroFutobolista repped this.
  7. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

You know who would disagree.

8. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I know... Well until it happens, we are right and he is wrong...

9. Jdgedwill

Jdgedwill Member+

Jun 15, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not convinced that Andrew is at all willing to spend Keane money let alone the 3-4 Keane price tag of Drogba. However I would be very happy to see the day that Andrew made us all eat our words and prove us wrong. Honestly as much as I love Drogba I would rather him sign 2 players in the 3-4 Million range over a 10+ million dollar Drogba. That kind of money for an aging player has LA or NY written all over it, I wouldn't be surprised to see Drogba at NYCFC.

10. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Drogba to NYCFC doesn't make any sense. They aren't beginning play until 2015. Why would they be signing players now? Why would players be joining a team that doesn't exist yet?

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of the league are bad, but the top teams can be good, not MLS good but about NASL good, plus they now allow 5 foreign players, so the teams will get better.

It was the 1 team, that is the issue when the league does not own and pay all the players, I think the owner of that particular team had some financial issues so he could no longer pay the high salaries.

But the China league is still pulling decent talent (and a lot of not so good talent)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Chinese_Super_League#Foreign_players

12. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

That is a whole lot of mediocre players. The only player I really recognize is Kanoute, and to a lessor extent Dembele.

13. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Any chance Andy or anyone from the Fire made an effort over the last few days? It was a meaningless "game" but you had Osvaldo, Maluda, Levezzi, Song and several other great players IN Chicago for the Messi thing. When I talk about establishing relationships, this is what I mean. Make contact with these players now and IN Chicago. Get them thinking that they could see themselves playing here one day and then maintain the relationship. In addition, Pablo Aimar was here and is currently out of contract. He is an attacking mid who has played at a high level. He is 33. Any contact? Hell, it would even be cheap as they were already in town and already had hotel rooms.

14. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Pablo Aimar would be a nice addition to the Fire, an attacking mid and would be a good DP. Not the most known commodity (in terms of being a household name) but a terrific resume, really expensive previously (had really high transfer fees when playing in Spain), and just about the right stage in his career.

Dump MacDonald, sign Aimar.

Edit: He would cost a lot more than MacDonald.

Chris M. repped this.
  15. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He might in 5 years if "Keane money" is considered below DP salary.
    Remember what he did to for Stoitchkov?

16. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I remember the red carpet treatment the last time Hristo was here.

17. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    fyp

ratdog, loonixxx, bunge and 1 other person repped this.
  18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes most are iffy, but they do have some player that would be DP here in MLS and 1 that was (Salihi)

Lucas Barrios
    Kanoute
    Conca
    Keita
    Giovanni Moreno

19. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. RadioGonzo

RadioGonzo Member+

Nov 16, 2009
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    xtomx, IU Gooner, loonixxx and 4 others repped this.
  21. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    lol. good one!

22. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I would suspect we could make a case for Chicago. It would take some nudging but I bet a little birdie could chirp in his ear and make him listen. Is he worth what he's still asking? I'm not sure about that one. I never thought he was worth the money he got in China.

23. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or

Andy could show us that he cares and isn't as cheap as every thinks he is.:)

LocoGueroFutobolista repped this.
  24. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

As a fan of the World's Greatest Football Team, I despise Chelsea ( though am thrilled that The Special One is back if it means the return of the greatest football show ever).

But, this is the kind of player the Fire should be courting. Send the Andell private jet and pick him up and fly him to Chicago. Take him to the Signature Room on top of the Hancock for dinner then walk down Michigan Avenue to the Nike Store where his image is emblazoned on the facade while wearing a Fire jersey.

Show him he can live a relatively normal life here while enjoying the amenities of a world class city. Run him out to Navy Pier and catch a shuttle to the Andell company yacht. Sail around the lake front, stopping near Oak Street Beach, and then head back to the city.

Drive to Toyota Park where you have invited all Fire fans to greet him.

Then pay him what he wants and let's start winning some f'kin championships.

25. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Why should Fire fans hate Chelsea?