Drogba confirms he is leaving chelsea

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Fanaddict, May 22, 2012.

1. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yeah but there's also a cost to silence: apathy.

2. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I disagree. Unless you let it die with that rejection and don't keep trying to fill your holes. Drogba is getting older right now, but he is playing at a high level and is one of the most recognizable players on the planet, particularly after his Champions league success. I remember when we were rumored to be trying to get Zidane out of his retirement soon after he quit or was in the process of quitting.

I think fans and players were excited by the rumor and were not embarrassed when it never happened. I get your point, and if you are linked with every player in the world and it never happens, it can be embarrassing. But I think we are at the other end of the spectrum right now. We need some excitement, even if it is just an offer that never gets accepted. I don't think it would be a problem in the locker room, in fact, I would hope the players would be excited about that type of potential commitment by Andy. If Orr's feelings are hurt because we are chasing another big target guy, I can live with that.

3. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    If Orr wasn't excited by the prospect of learning from a great player I'd kick his ass off the team.

And yeah, Forlan and Drogba would be a fantastic pairing. The other 8 field players could basically just watch those two play. :)

4. I PINCH!

I PINCH! Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

HAHAHAH from your mouth to Gods ears.. unfortunately he is going to Wolfsburg

5. Brad Cox

Brad Cox Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Elgin IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. evilmonkeycmand

Jun 29, 2011
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  8. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. sWo97

sWo97 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was always going to the payday.

10. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  11. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I know we will never know, but I'd love TO know if we ever even put out a call to his agent to gauge interest.

12. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope he enjoys the smog.

13. TheButcher

TheButcher Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stop smoking the cheeb. Drogba was freaking fantasy land...

I don't know how it's possible for some of you to be so ********ing negative, and then think the Fire would go sign Drogba...

Does not compute.

14. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

Why? He's going to ********ing China. Yeah, if he were considering offers from Inter, Barcelona and Man United, I would agree that it is fantasy land. While I know we can't offer him China money, we could likely offer him a better quality of life, a good chunk of change and some hefty marketing opportunities.

I don't think I ever implied that the Fire should be able to sign him, only that they should try. We tried to sign Stoichkov. We tried to sign Blanco. While they were farther down the back end slide, the MLS world is a bit different now as well. Theirry Henry came to MLS straight from Barcelona. So did Marquez. Torsten Frings came off of six straight years at Werder Bremen. Robbie Keane was still Tottenham property although he was last on loan to West Ham. It is not inconceivable that a guy like Drogba would at least consider a move here for good money if not China money. My list of DPs rang from 2-5 million a year. Had we contacted Drogba and offered him something in that ballpark and he turned it down, then fine. I'm good with the notion that he was just looking for max pay. Is it fantasy simply because we no longer believe that the Fire can compete with Red Bull or Galaxy? If that is the case, then we all need to start smokin.

15. TheButcher

TheButcher Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keane money is not $5 Million a year.

16. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Well, if Andrew intended that one comment to be a ceiling or cap and is implying that we aren't interested in competing on a NY or LA scale, then I guess that is a comment on him and what he thinks of our club, isn't it? I would hope that when he said that (without having a particular player in mind) that it was a general comment and that an ultimate decision on what he would invest would rest on all of the factors related to the player in terms of potential productivity, costs and revenue streams.

I like Robbie Keane, but I think Drogba would contribute more in all three categories. He would cost more, he would likely produce more and I think he would sell more in terms of tickets, gear, etc. But hey, we would never know without a phone call, and we will never know if there WAS a phone call, so its just idle speculation about water under the bridge.

17. TheButcher

TheButcher Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because you want something to be true, does not make it true.

18. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Amen. You just defined the last decade of being a Fire fan. :D

Anyway, what IS true is all up to Andy. Let him put his money where his mouth is. I don't care what money he spends, I want him to make us better.

19. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If I recall correctly, it was Hristo's family that got him to come to Chicago. They loved the City. So maybe the Fire should offer plane tickets and Great America passes to all the superstars they want to sign.

20. TheButcher

TheButcher Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really, Fire made the ECF and were an MLS cup contender for 3 years 2007-2009...

In reality, you've had 2 bad years, cry me a river.

21. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Gee, don't set the bar too high there fella. As a fan, you should demand better. 2003 was our last truly outstanding year with a supporters shield, US Open Cup and MLS runner up.

22. TheButcher

TheButcher Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha. Whatever Bro.

This is kind of like saying:

1. I only date Models.
    2. I only drink Johnnie Walker Blue.
    3. I only eat at Alina and Everest.
    4. I only go out on Lake Michigan in my 120 ft Schooner.
    5. I only fly in Private Jets.

Sports teams have cycles. Fire were really good during The Blanco/Best Buy years. It's too bad we can't change a few ********ing PKs. But them's the breaks in sports.

You are not playing FIFA 12 where you always win. Keep on smoking...

23. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    We have a new poster child for accepting mediocrity. You're on the payroll, aren't you?

loonixxx and LocoGueroFutobolista repped this.
  24. TheButcher

TheButcher Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool Story bro. Good Luck in the future.

25. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]