Drinking and Driving Hypocrisy

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by minerva, Jan 11, 2012.

1. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    studies have shone your suspicion is correct. statistically the most dangerous particular moment is answering the phone. even more than dialing an outgoing call... probably because most people who are careless enough to use their phone are still sensible enough not to dial a number while moving.

it happened to me one morning a few months ago; i was behind a car going very slowly (phoning) and when i started passing him he veered absentmindedly towards me... so i went ape on him... and as i'm trying to get by he's retorting... and at the very instant that it all dawns on me... that it's not a cellphone but a 2-way... his buddy is looking through impega binders of documents... a hip looking beur and a black... in leather jackets... driving a beat-to-crap 10 year old clio...

rhwheeeeeee... the fuzz. and they're pissed off. but i hope you know old guignol well enough by now not to be surprised that 5 minutes later it was a contest to see who could be the most conciliatory and amiable... if i hadn't been in a hurry on aurait claqué la bise...

Boloni86 repped this.
  2. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends a lot on what neighborhood though. Biking in Park Slope was pretty safe. Biking down Manhattan's 2nd Avenue in the 50s (which I used to do, weaving back and forth between lanes) was taking your life in your own hands. Early on after moving to NYC, I made the conscious decision to be the aggressor on my bike, while remaining ready to react to oblivious drivers, and felt like that mindset allowed me to venture into situations that others never would. It also helped that I'm a fairly big fella and ride a tall bike so the drivers were usually aware of my presence. The one physical confrontation I had with a vehicle, I ended up in better shape than the car did. :)

I will admit that I've done this as well. Although I'd only use one hand to text and would only do it on paths or nearly-deserted streets.

3. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    http://www.thejournal.ie/kerry-councillors-drink-driving-764005-Jan2013/
    Timing is everything. Wait until everyone leaves, then move the vote! Also, the councillor who introduced the bill, is a pub owner!
    I guess designated drivers are of no help ... to his profits, that is!
    I would expect that to be the case, pretty much everywhere.
    http://bloodalcoholcalculator.org/
    One beer over an hour, while eating, would peak at .01 for someone weighing 160 pounds.

4. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anyone catch the Taco Bell ad during the superbowl last night with the old people going clubbing? is it just me, or did anyone find that kind of glorification of obvious drunk driving a bit suspect? I couldn't believe Taco Bell went with that ad.

5. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, you'd think they'd be targeting their true audience of grubby stoners.

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Talk about a stable brand. When in high school, Friday night stoner drives were either for doughnuts or the Taco Bell at the bottom of the hill.

7. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Krystals or White Castle.

8. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's like youse guys had no place to get a slice.

I feel bad for youse.

Moishe, crazypete13 and GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  9. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    One pundit: You eat enough Taco Bell, you're not going to see your 85th birthday.

10. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i like another quote : if you think beef is real food for real people you'd better live real close to a real good hospital.

11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Something's going to kill you eventually. I'd hate to subsist on a diet of whatever seeds and nuts the hipsters are currently pushing only to get hit by a truck. A moderate amount of real food isn't going to do that much damage.

I guess I kinda get why soccer's not doing so well here- there's a lot of other stuff that people associate with the Game that we do but don't have to do. For whatever reason, we don't have the same demographic watching/playing the Game here that the rest of the world does.

12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The two are not the same. Krystals are cooked in front of you. White Castles come frozen at the convenience store unless you live in one of those places where there's still a restaurant.

13. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having had both, White Castles win hands down if you get them fresh.

14. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a little warning for this weekend's festivities...
    seems to me that requiring one of these things for a first time offender is a bit much.
    I get why they're doing it, but it's just another example of how DUIs have been singled out for more severe punishment than other forms of impaired/distracted driving.
    it seems like smokers and drunk drivers are always good fodder for politicians wanting to seem like they're tough on crime or for raising revenues.

15. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    http://www.sternlawnj.com/2013/01/3...rlock-devices-main-penalty-for-drunk-drivers/
    "At present, the penalty for drunk driving is three months’ suspension for a first-time offender with a blood-alcohol count of .08 percent to .10 percent, seven months to one year for first-timers with a BAC of more than .10 percent, two years for a second offense and 10 years for a third offense.
    First-time DWI offenders could continue driving with the mechanism, which blocks a vehicle from starting unless the operator exhales a clean breath sample into it. Second or subsequent offenders would need a restricted-use license — allowing only work-related or other travel set by a judge — for at least the first year the interlock is in place."
    Of course, if drunk-drivers are going to whine, like the ones quoted in your link, they should just take the suspension, refrain from driving & STFU.