Drillers?

Discussion in 'FC Edmonton' started by ChuckDzzNutz, Nov 21, 2013.

1. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Florida
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm certain this is nowhere near a new subject around these parts, but I haven't been through the FC Edmonton thread thoroughly enough to have seen it. Is there any kind of local outcry up there for the team to bring the Drillers name back, or are people just content with with the status quo.

I do not know if it may be a licensing issue or what, but I figured with the Rowdies and Cosmos back it would be fitting.

Digging the old kits as well

http://nasljerseys.com/Rosters/Drillers_Rosters.htm

brentgoulet repped this.
  2. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Quite a few casual fans call them the "team with no name", and I've heard some wanting the nickname for the team, but there hasn't been any big outcry to change the name to "Drillers". Guess they could add it on the end of the "FC Edmonton" possibly to give the team a traditional NA nickname the casual fans could identify with more.

They have used the special 3rd "Drillers" jerseys this years and last year, mostly against Fort Lauderdale Strikers, and they look pretty sharp. They may even own the name but I'm not sure.

ChuckDzzNutz repped this.
  3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they don't have to have an official name, it can be up to the fans to call them what they want and make it an un-official nickname.

4. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Seems like Eddies has been used quite a bit as an unofficial nickname.

The obvious solution here is for the club to create a mascot named Eddie the Driller. :D

ChuckDzzNutz repped this.
  5. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    I read in an interview with the owner that he did not want to bring the Drillers name back because lots of people in Edmonton associate that name with a franchise that only lasted a few years (79-82)

6. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Florida
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's ridiculous . . . Four years in the original NASL was far above the average existence for other teams in the league. I want to see the Drillers, Kicks, and Chiefs! (Although the latter won't matter once MLS comes to the ATL and the NASL team folds).

7. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    okey, but Fath has the money so makes the decisions

I don't know but probably he is not a soccer guy so probably he was never a fan of the old Drillers

8. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, will Eddie be a rabbit?

9. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Has to be. So FC Edmonton will have a rabbit mascot that drills for oil in his spare time. I like it.

10. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Florida
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it's the Florida Gator in me, but I really dig the second kit there. Anyone know if they are available for purchase anywhere?

11. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    no idea, maybe on Ebay ?