Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    [​IMG]

be still my heart!

ah, pyongyang traffic girls! the sensible shoes, the chaste white ankle socks... and perfect posture!

2. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Thanks to france for replacing us in the 2011WWC group. It is nice to get some variation.

3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well we (and by "we" I mean Japan, if someone still doesn't know me on these threads... :p) avoided both Brazil and France. On a pot by pot basis, I was considering Brazil more dangerous than Canada (it doesn't matter if we have just beaten Brazil 4-1; with Marta on the pitch it will be a different team) and France waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more dangerous than Sweden, although slightly lower in the rankings (don't want to imply that Sweden isn't dangerous, but I said before that in my opinion France can seriously fight for the gold medal).

Canada and Sweden are not bad teams at all, but I feel quite confident: last time we met Sweden it was a 3-1 in the 2011 WWC semifinal; the little tour in Sweden just before the Olympics suddenly becomes way more interesting now... :p
    I don't remember when we met Canada recently, but since USA won 4-0 vs Canada in the CONCACAF qualifier, and we don't use to lose to USA anymore.... Transitive property, you know? ^__^ ...Oh, it doesn't apply to football, you say? O_O

Anyway, anything interesting happened at the draw (I mean the "event" itself)?

by the way, I've been said that traffic girls in Pyongyang are purely ornamental, since there aren't so many cars to create a real "traffic"... :p
    I have to admit, though, that they're good at being ornamental...

4. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Group E: Great Britain, New Zealand, Cameroon, Brazil
    Group F: Japan, Canada, Sweden, South Africa
    Group G: USA, France, Colombia, Korea DPR

Great Britain (great draw for them as home team. should make 2nd round)
    New Zealand (terrific draw. are in position to be one of the two best 3rd place teams)
    Cameroon (enjoy a major tournament. nice to see someone different. won't win a match)
    Brazil (be careful. don't take New Zealand lightly. they are much improved)

Japan (guaranteed to make 2nd round. not sure Canada can beat them)
    Canada (i like their chances to make 2nd round as best 3rd place team, won't win group)
    Sweden (the group winner will come down to the Japan vs. Sweden match)
    South Africa (same as Cameroon. enjoy being here, but won't win a match)

USA (not the easiest group. Colombia is best 4th place team in any group)
    France (will beat the USA in group play. USA will win rematch in knockout)
    Colombia (tough group for them. i don't see how they make 2nd round)
    North Korea (will lose to USA and France. Don't see them making 2nd round)

Nations that make Quarterfinals:
    Brazil (9 points)
    Great Britain (4 points)
    New Zealand (4 points)
    Japan (7 points)
    Sweden (5 points)
    Canada (4 points)
    France (9 points)
    USA (6 points)

Let the games begin.

5. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I highly doubt that, but there is no way I can know for sure, so I won't bet against you.

6. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I can see a draw between us and the USA. Depending on how we deal with the Morgan/Wambach combo that caused us so many problem at the World Cup. If our forwards are clinical, it will be a win but it is a big IF (1 goal out of 25 shots in the semi-final is poo)

7. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    ha! :D

8. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The result of the draw was fair. The groups are well-balanced. Of the six strongest sides, there are two in each group.

I won't be surprised if Great Britain and Brazil draw, but even then I would bet on Brazil topping the group on goal difference. It will be interesting to see if New Zealand continue to push forward as aggressively as they did under John Herdman in the World Cup. That would suit Cameroon well, since they have very speedy wingers and love to counterattack.

Japan are typically slow starters, so I think they will drop some points and Sweden will top the group. Canada will find a point against Japan or Sweden and get three more against South Africa to move comfortably to the second round.

The United States have also become habitually slow starters, and since they are opening with France I like les bleues to take the group. If Columbia and North Korea draw gain like they did at the World Cup, then they will both miss the quarterfinals.

9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, I quite agree. Actually, if it was possible switching GB with USA, the groups would definitely be closer to what I'd call "fair and balanced".

10. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    South Africa is going to be getting murdered in their group. Cameroon has a somewhat easier time and could possibly defeat New Zealand. Group G is going to be very tough and exciting to follow.

11. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Group E: Great Britain, New Zealand, Cameroon, Brazil
    Group F: Japan, Canada, Sweden, South Africa
    Group G: USA, France, Colombia, Korea DPR

Best overall match of all group stages
    France vs. USA (you will need lots of popcorn for this match)

Best match of Group E
    Brazil vs. Great Britain (Marta vs. Kelly Smith)

Best match of Group F
    Canada vs. Sweden (the Japan vs. Sweden match in the WWC Semi wasn't all that)

Worst overall match of all group stages
    Japan vs. South Africa (yuck, this could get ugly)

Most "physical" match of all group stages
    Canada vs. Sweden (both teams will play mighty physical against each other)

Least physical match of all group stages
    France vs. Colombia (France can play physical, but will beat Colombia with all finesse)

Best chance for "controversy" of all matches (think Equatorial Handball)
    Brazil vs. Cameroon

Least meaningful match of all group stages
    Colombia vs. North Korea (especially if they draw)

Most entertaining group stage rematch of group stage match from 2011 WWC
    Great Britain vs. New Zealand

Most likely match that no one will talk about
    Canada vs. South Africa

Most "underrated" match in all group stages
    New Zealand vs. Cameroon

12. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    US only caused your team problems because your team can't defend. Shit youth team could defend better than your team did. And I'm being serious, I'm not just taking diggs at France. It was annoying watching pros who couldn't defend or track their man or track the runner going across one zone into the other defenders zone. There was nuthing special that the US did during that game, it was the defensive lapses that caused France to be scored on 3 times. Similar thing happened today w/ Barca against Chelsea. Chelsea didn't do anything specail during the game(other than Ramires goal).

As long as your teams defensive and goalie issues get sorted out. France should be the favorite to win. During the WWC US were double, Triple and Quadruple Necib, Thiney, Delie, Abily around midfield. If France can get the US women to commit that many numbers to defend a single player in the middle third, the game should be a walk in the park. France was so comfortable underpressure and tight spaces they just dribbled their was out passed to any teammates they wanted.

13. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    1. I don't see it being that type of contest, but hey you never know, maybe the U.S. make things more even over the 90 mins this time ;).

2. Scratch that battle of the star names. Miss Smith is injured again, and she will have to be very lucky to be given a squad place when coaches can only take 18 players.

3. With the patient style Japan use, you won't see them handing out any CONCACAF style beat downs to anybody. In fact, the clash of athleticism vs technique should actually make this seemingly very unbalanced meeting quite interesting.

4. Of all the Scandinavian nations, Sweden have a serious amount of finesse to their football, and I don't ever remember them having to be reliant on physical/direct play to obtain results either?

LOL :). They were often very annoying for not defending the situations they could and should control, but I have been told that things have now changed for the better.

Yeah, but then they also couldn't get more than one or two decent shots on frame, after wasting 25 attempts at goal :eek:.

While Thiney has remained consistently dangerous, the improvements in Le Sommer, Thomis, and Delie, should raise the previously poor goals to chances conversion rate, but as we all know there are also few guarantees in football.

14. Edgar

Edgar Member

Thanks! :)

I did mention that too:

15. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since this is the opening match for both sides, I am expecting a tense, very cautious affair, rather like Brazil-Germany in their 2008 group stage match. There may not be a lot to catch the eye.

16. bissell

bissell Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Japan is pretty lucky with the draw

17. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Japan better be careful.
    If they take Sweden and Canada lightly, it's still conceivable they could end up 1-2-0 (3 points).

If the 3rd place teams in the other two groups end up with 3 or more points, Japan could be eliminated after group play, due to goal differential, and the other two 3rd place teams could have 4 points even.

It's still more realistic that Japan will end up with 9 points than 3 points, but anything is possible. Sweden and Canada are no cakewalks, and just four years ago, both Sweden and Canada were thought to be better teams than Japan, going into the 2008 games.

18. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    Are there any teams for which you would rule out such a destiny?

19. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    USA is guaranteed to make the Quarterfinals.
    Worst case is a draw against North Korea, and a win against Colombia (4 points). 4 points will get you into the Quarterfinals, even if the USA lost by 6 goals to France, they'd still get in with 4 points, because it won't come down to goal differential if you have 4 points (when 8 of 12 teams make the Quarterfinals). At least one 3rd place team will have 3 or less points in one of the groups.

France is also guaranteed into the Quarterfinals.
    They will also do no worse than a draw against North Korea, and will beat Colombia.

Brazil will do no worse than a draw against New Zealand, and will beat Cameroon. So they're in.

So the Quarterfinals look like this as of today:
    Brazil (4 or more points)
    France (4 or more points)
    USA (4 or more points)
    ______
    ______
    ______
    ______
    ______

five spots left.

As of now, no other team is guaranteed 4 or more points.
    Not even Japan, based on my explanation above, although the odds are still significantly in their favor that they'll get 4 or more points.

20. intoronto1125

intoronto1125 Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    If Canada finished third in their group and advances along with third place in group E it will be Canada vs Brazil in the qfs

21. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    LOL, so hold on a minute, all of a sudden North Korea are now significantly worse than Canada :confused:. Like you, I don't see both USA and Japan topping their respective groups, but if it's the real deal North Korea that shows up in Britain during the Olympics, it's just as likely that the U.S. and French preordained plans of 1st/2nd place group finishes go up in smoke too, and not just Japan's.

Each group could be tricky if one nation outside of the norm performs better than expected, and if any group has that banana skin waiting to happen, it's group G, not F. And come one, if Japan as a solid top 3 nation and current world champs can't survive group play where the top three can qualify for the next round, I seriously doubt they would have managed to navigate their own far tougher regional Olympic qualifying tournament either.

Two groups contain at least one team that will surprise a lot of people come the group stages end, or the first stage of the knock out rounds, but the way football often works, the biggest shock exit will come during the likely USA vs Japan quarter final clash.

22. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    Well, consistent as ever, congratulations on reaching the quarter-finals already!

I guess I will go back now to thinking about my group-of-death.

23. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Thanks.
    It's highly probable that the U.S. and France will meet in the Semifinal or Final.
    They can't meet in the Quarterfinal.
    If France is going to beat USA in the knockout round, they need to get the ball on target.

24. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Considering the recent history of the teams involved in the other groups, it's also highly probable that the French and U.S. girls only meet each other once at the group stages, never to reach a semi or showpiece final match too ;).

With team GB, for the first time in 3 Olympics we'll have a host nation capable of reaching the medal rounds. Even with all their issues, Brazil will still be a contender because of the female games greatest individual presence. Sweden are packed with gold medal potential, but not always winners. Not forgetting Japan as the world champs will be hungry to reaffirm their new found status, with DPR Korea, and Canada, both playing the background roles of the annoying party crashers.

So while it's smaller than the WWC, with all that's ahead of them, I don't see how you can be so sure of French or U.S. medal success?

25. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008

I never guaranteed anyone a medal.
    I just said that France and USA are guaranteed to make the Quarterfinal.
    Both will finish 1st and 2nd place in their group (above North Korea and Colombia). Not sure who wins the group, as it will be either France or USA.

It's not a guarantee, but I'd say the chances they'll meet again in the knockout are very realistic, maybe even above 50% chance. Still, no guarantee.

And yes, Great Britain will be strong ... stronger than England.
    Plus they'll be on home soil.
    They are for sure a dark horse candidate to win the gold medal.

Yes, never count out Brazil.
    If they bring their "A-game", then they can be the best in the world.
    The problem is, they are not as consistent as the other world powers (Germany, USA, and now Japan recently being consistent in the past 12 months).

Brazil, France, and Sweden, are all intriguing.
    They all have what it takes to be the best in the world.
    They just aren't as consistent as Germany, USA, and recently Japan.

Yes, Germany is still consistent. One loss in a WWC Quarterfinal (they're human) doesn't stop them from being a consistent Top 2 or 3 power in the world.

And Great Britain, this is their best chance.
    This is their chance to earn Bronze, Silver, or even Gold.
    They are for sure the dark-horse pick here, being the home team.

North Korea, no way.
    They're still too young.
    I don't even see them getting the Bronze.

Canada, meh.
    Their best years (2002-2008) are behind them now.
    It'll take a little longer before they can sniff Semifinal success again (2003 WWC). No way in this tournament. Quarterfinal is the best they'll do in London.

And don't sleep on New Zealand.
    I put their odds at making the Quarterfinal, at 50-50.
    If North Korea draws Colombia, or only beats Colombia by one goal, then I like New Zealand (3 points, win over Cameroon) to beat out North Korea on goal differential for the last (8th spot) into the Quarterfinal. Of course, it's no guarantee that New Zealand will beat Cameroon, but if they do, I like their chances to make the Quarterfinal over North Korea.

I see Sweden, Japan, and Canada, all making the Quarterfinal from Group F.
    They will all beat South Africa, and each will at least end up with 4 points overall (including Canada, who will end up with 4 points).

So it's New Zealand vs. North Korea/Colombia winner from Group G, for the last Quarterfinal spot. If North Korea/Colombia draw against each other, then it's there for the taking for New Zealand. Even if North Korea only beats Colombia by one goal, I still like New Zealand's chances to beat out North Korea on goal differential (if both end up with 3 points each).

This would be a "Feel-Good" tournament if:

1.) The Ferns make their first ever knockout round (Quarterfinal)
    2.) France beats USA in Group Play, and earns their first major victory over a world power (in a major tournament)
    3.) Great Britain medals on home soil, with Kelly Smith being a hero
    4.) USA wins Gold

That would be how Hollywood would write it, but that's an American bias.