1. intoronto1125

intoronto1125 Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Any guesses to what the pots might look like?

My guess:

Pot 1: USA, GBR, JPN

Pot 2: PRK, CAN, COL

Pot 3: SWE, FRA, BRA

Pot 4: NZL, CMR, RSA

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Some basic principles.

1) The top 4 teams will be in separate brackets.

2) the host country gets the easy bracket. It sells tickets.

ok, try again.

3. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    :D

lol

4. newsouth jr

newsouth jr Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Way to contribute. Oh wait, you never intended to. Carry on.

5. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Pot 1 will most likley be the seeded pot, holder,host and the top rated of the rest so I think you are right there.

But the for the rest FIFA always likes to create pots based on Confeds not ranking so I think your wrong on Pot 2 and 3, change places between BRA and either PRK or CAN and we have a likley senario, but probably with some odd FIFA twist to it.

6. Edgar

Edgar Member

Pot 1: GBR, SWE, FRA
    Pot 2: JPN, PRK, NZL
    Pot 3: USA, BRA, CAN
    Pot 4: COL, RSA, CMR

7. intoronto1125

intoronto1125 Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC

Interesting!

We can end up with France Japan USA in one group or Great Britain, New Zealand and Canada.

8. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absent some as yet undeveloped maths, this will prove impossible with just three groups. ;)

9. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Haha. it will sell lots of tickets, though.

10. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    More like the following with Great Britian(hosts), USA(holders) & Japan(top ranked after USA) as the top seeds.

Pot 1: GBR, USA, JPN
    Pot 2: FRA, SWE, PRK
    Pot 3: BRA, COL, CAN
    Pot 4: RSA, CMR, NZL

GROUP 1: Great Britian, North Korea, Brazil, Cameroon
    GROUP 2: USA, France, Colombia, New Zealand
    GROUP 3: Japan, Sweden, Canada, South Africa

11. Edgar

Edgar Member

Forgot to mention that setup was based on the 2008 Olympics.

Pot A: China PR (host), Japan, Korea DPR
    Pot B: Canada, Brazil, USA (holder)
    Pot C: Germany (WC winner), Norway, Sweden
    Pot D: Argentina, Nigeria, New Zealand

They made the pots on geographical criteria and at the request of the organizers, they've placed China, USA and Germany in different groups to maximize tickets sales.

12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Bah, they should make the pot based on rankings (at max with some corrections to avoid too much inter-confederational fights) and not based on geo-political or economical criteria...

I mean, if your prediction about pots is correct, we could get a group like France-Japan-USA-Colombia, and doesn't it sound incredibly wrong and unfair?

13. Edgar

Edgar Member

As I said, in 2008 they kept China PR, Germany and USA apart even if they were in different pots.

So you couldn't get a France-Japan-USA-Colombia.

14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ok, so what about France-Japan-Brazil-Cameroon instead? Wouldn't it look incredibly unfair if one team between France, Japan and Brazil would risk elimination (although, if I got it right, only the worse third team in the groups rankings goes home) or a dificult pairing in quarter finals? And maybe everything could be decided on who gets to score more goals vs poor Cameroon (that could in turn depend on who gets Cameroon in the last match of the group)?

15. Edgar

Edgar Member

1. FIFA might very well choose a different setup for the pots.
    2. Football seeding is not always fair. See Côte d'Ivoire's (men) draws in the last two World Cups.

16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, in this case, as a Nadeshiko Japan fan, I can't help but hope that JFA is currently "powerful" enough to not let anything really bad (like the hypotetical group I designed) happen to their team. :cool:

But I have to add that I really hate having to hope that. :mad:

17. intoronto1125

intoronto1125 Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
  18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    this article was an extraordinary interesting and enlightning read, thank you very much intoronto1125.

Unluckily, the section that is the most interesting in my eyes totally confirms all of my fears. :( The very title of the section is self explaining:

19. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh. It's a 12 team tournament. Great Britain has a chance of having the easiest run through, but all the groups have a chance of being pretty hard. I'm not looking forward to the 2011 redux if US draws Sweden and North Korea (for what seems like the third or fourth major tournament in a row).

I think Japan-Brazil and Japan-France would both be really interesting games, since they haven't played them in a major tournament. Presumably, by then, Marta will arrive for the Japan game and Brazil will have sort of sorted out their defense issues.

I like this grouping for the US:

Group G: United States, France, New Zealand, South Africa

I mean, I dunno if we win the group, but I think the games would be fun to watch.

20. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    It is just in the WWC. USA, Sweden, North Korea and Nigeria have been drawn together in all WWC since 1999 except that Sweden and Nigeria was each allowed one time of. 1999 Sweden was replaced with fellow Scandinavians Denmark and in 2011 Nigeria was replaced by Colombia.
    In the Olympics it looks like the draw is almost random (with may indicate that it is not ;) ).

21. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That would be one of the best one for France as well :) a chance to win the group for sure.

22. Edgar

Edgar Member

23. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't like this group, given it could cause headaches for France. They need to meet the USA as late as possible. It's like them playing Germany in the WC group.

As far as Brasil goes, Jorge needs to move Erika to attacking mid-field. her skill sets are closer to Daniela than Simone. Right now, they are Marta and who else thinks they can be apart of the attack.

Sweden and Brasil = current train wrecks.

24. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hmmm, I think you want France to be in a group with Brazil and Japan ;). When you step back and think about it, a top 3 group finish gets you to the next round, so in a strange way, a tough trio with a South Africa thrown in actually becomes a group of life.

If France can top 3 finish versus the lower ranked but dangerous Africans, the individual threats of Marta factor, and figure out the increasingly slick and confident system of the Japanese, then playing Sweden, USA, Canada, or GB/Arsenal Ladies, in the next round should hold few surprises.

newsouth, outside of their random Algarve Cup, I can't see what suddenly puts Sweden in similar company to Brazil's obvious defensive "train wreck" :confused:.

25. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I am not sure qualifying with 2 defeats would be a good thing to be honest.