Draft Day Trades/ Rumors

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Couchtoast, Jan 16, 2013.

1. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #30 pick was the conditional pick that we ended up receiving from Chicago for Wells Thompson, so you could look at this as Larentowicz and Thompson for #11, 2013 international spot, and allocation money. As much as those two guys didn't fit into the system we are trying to play, that deal isn't looking as rosy to me now.

Edit: I forgot to put "for Wells Thompson" in the first sentence.

2. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Which trade brought the international spot?

I still object to combining the trades in principle. The idea is to get the best return in each trade. A steal in one doesn't mean you can waste resources in the other trade.

3. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree. Jeff L and and the #30 pick (throw away) for #11, money and an international slot is a steal.

Jeff, IMO, was crap last year. He doesn't fit the system, gives away too many balls in the midfield, and has a highly overrated shot. I like his toughness, but don't rate him as a player.

I think the team did very well with this one.

crazyjon85, jdub3379 and 22SteveD repped this.
  4. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    What you think of him isn't the main thing, though. What matters is what other teams think of him, since you are trying to trade him for max value. Given that, is what they got enough?

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you can separate the trades as easily as some of you do. I don't think one trade happens without the other (why pick up LaBrocca when you have JL and why trade JL without a replacement plan?).

6. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is the LaBrocca news coming from? I can't find anything about it.

7. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JL has been on the block for awhile so this wasn't a spur of the moment deal. It isn't a horrible deal but I think we could have got a bit more for JL. That is all

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but he's been on the block for a while but wasn't traded. Then he's traded within hours of also reportedly making a deal for LaBrocca. I don't think that's a coincidence.

9. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Because despite the motivation for one trade following partly from another, they're separate deals.

It's like coming home with a new home theater:
    BS poster: I re-did our home theater and it was only $4000! That's $500 less than list for all the stuff, so I think we are big winners here.
    Wife: Uh, can you explain.
    BS poster: I searched online and got the receiver/amp and speakers for $1000. That's half price!
    Wife: How about the TV?
    BS poster: Well, we you can't have a sound system without a TV. So I ran out to Best Buy, it was $3000.
    Wife: (Does the math.) Grrr....

10. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Not that I necessarily think the Larentowicz deal was bad. Seemed like he was better thought of around MLS, but what do I know.

11. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No but that doesn't mean this was the best deal they could have made. Clearly the rapids are placing a huge priority on the draft so i dont think it was coincidence that they waited until then to move him. i just hope they can do what the need with the 6 and 11th pick.

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly I'm not sure what more we could have gotten for Larentowicz, especially after TFC signed a DM. I'm not thrilled with the inclusion of the #30 pick but after the 1st round the draft is a bit of a crap shoot. So you've got a good player who played poorly last year and the league knows isn't really a fit here. At best we're going to get a similar good but not great player back, in reality probably less than that. Instead we got essentially a top 10 pick (#11, but one of the prior picks is ours, so only 9 non-Rapids picks before it) and $75K in allocation money and an international spot and gave up a pick in the second half of the second round. Could ahve been a bit better, maybe, but I don't think we left the #3 pick + allocation money+ an international slot or a player that's a guaranteed starter on the table .

13. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a player/ system mis-match, I still think he can be a top d-mid in right situation. Thompson probably gone from Chicago now.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last report I can find on LaBrocca's contract status was when we gave him a new 4-years deal in the 08/09 offseason. That would have taken him through the end of the 2012 season. However he was not listed in any of the re-entry draft lists (and he would have qualified) so even if he was out of contract Chivas tried to re-sign him. Given the complete lack of rumors around him going anywhere else I'm guessing that he is either still under contract or he's agreed on a contract but its not official yet.

The Rapids FO, even at their worst, has been pretty good about getting players to agree on contracts as part of a trade so if he's night signed and we did trade for his rights I have no doubt that we'll sign him.

jayd8888 repped this.
  15. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like the trades so far, don't expect anymore unless its to move higher in first round tomorrow.

If Toronto doesn't take a CB, they just picked up 2 young CBs this offseason, we could still end up with Zimmerman.

16. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I don't think he's as highly rated around the league as you might think. The fact he's been on the trade block for weeks should tell you that there weren't a ton of team clamoring for him.

From my perspective, you're looking at a guy who is on the downhill side of his career, and someone who has never excelled on the pitch without a really good defensive midfielder as a partner. If Chicago pairs him up, he might be a really good player for them for a couple years. That said, he has to be in the right system for that to work.

17. FC Denver

FC Denver Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Denver
    Can I tell you how much I like this trade? Avila wasn't a great fit, Labrocca is.

18. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Thanks for going back and doing the homework on this Jason. It is appreciated.

Jasonma repped this.
  19. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    hard to say how a player wasn't a fit when he didn't play a game for Rapids?

20. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I don't want to speak for him, but I personally think it's a matter of we already have a lot of players who play Avila's role (attacking mid). So I think Avila still could fit in the team, but his role is not too well defined; he'd be somewhere around the 3rd attacking mid option off the bench, and maybe even lower if we get Harbottle.

Unrelated to that discussion: we've now given up our 3 most-recent all-stars, Avila, allocation cash, and a 2nd round pick and received in turn a total of Nathan Sturgis, Nick Labrocca, allocation cash, an international slot, and a 1st round pick. Sigh.

22SteveD repped this.
  21. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I can't keep all these trades straight. Who are the 3 most recent all stars, Casey, Omar and Larentowicz? One was released and two were traded; I thought we received rather than gave up allocation money in both trades. Did we sent allocation money with Avila for LaBrocca?

22. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    You're correct, we received allocation in both, I think I confused the details of the original deal for the #1 pick as being part of Larentowicz's deal.

In sum:

Released Casey, received nothing.
    Traded Omar for Sturgis and allocation.
    Traded Larentowicz and 3oth pick for 11th pick, allocation, 1-yr international slot.
    (Rumored) traded Avila for Labrocca - I'll wait on details to judge that particular trade, but unless Chivas has gone completely racist (and signs admittedly point to yes), I imagine we'd have to give Avila and something else up for Labrocca: cash, allocation, or draft pick of some kind.

Doesn't make me sigh any less.

23. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    chicago couldn't of thrown oduro in :( i'd thrown in akpan and what ever else we had to offer for that one :D

still i think we need a natrual pacey winger like nyassi or richards

24. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Why the sigh? Sad to see them go? Thought they should not have been let go? Thought the Rapids should have received more in return? (For which one(s)? I thought we should have received more for Jeff, but people seemed to disagree.) All of the above?

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but the alternative was to (probably) significantly overpay him. Sucks but sometimes that's the way it plays out.