Draft Day Trades/ Rumors

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Couchtoast, Jan 16, 2013.

1. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No! you are right on! Every deal must be predicated on what is best for the team not for an individual player. Classy management always factors the club 1st.

2. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    There is some value in having players tell other players that Denver was a good place, and they worked with them when it was time to leave. You also don't hear as much dirty laundry either.

Jasonma repped this.
  3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is one of those borderline cases to me. If its a top player/club legend (like if Pablo were to be traded) I can understand giving him some say in things. If its a bench player/journeyman then he just goes where ever the team sends him. In this scenario I think I would have gone for maximum value but I can't completely fault the club for at least trying to help Jeff out.

4. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it will help establish a reputation around the league that if you come and work hard for the team, they will work with you when it is time to move on. I think the Rapids have had a negative image around the league, but with this and the treatment of Pablo, they are working on changing that.

5. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It also depends on just how much of a disparity there was between the different offers. I'm guessing there wasn't that much difference.

Jasonma and jayd8888 repped this.
  6. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Actually, I believe these type of positive dealings go back further than just today.

7. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this and with those saying that classiness pays off in the end. Perhaps in unexpected ways. I know that all sounds a little touchy-feely, and I certainly understand taking a "business only" view, but ultimately I think it's good they let Jeff have some say.

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point, if we're really talking about a difference of $15K in allocation money or something then the goodwill is probably worth at least that.

COMtnGuy and jayd8888 repped this.
  9. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. A "better deal" is subject to someone's opinion. Someone else might have thought the Chicago offer was superior.

10. WJMarx

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, the deal revolves around draft position not money. I would always select the better draft position. If the issue was only a reasonable sum of money, then I would always accommodate the players wishes.

Jasonma repped this.
  11. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing as Dallas needs a D-mid and at least their talking head reporters and BS fans were all clamoring for JL trade. #7 v #11 pick is not subjective at all to me.

12. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    really like seeing Nick LaBrocca returning back to Rapids.

13. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But we don't know for sure that they ever came to an agreement. Maybe they came to an agreement with Vancouver for #10 and $60,000. Maybe they did come to an agreement with Dallas for #7, but no allocation money. Unless we find out what the other offers were, we really can't make a good judgement on whether it was mistake to be nice to Jeff or not.

14. Couchtoast

Couchtoast Member

May 22, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure it makes up the gap between a #7 and #11 pick, but I imagine we didn't really want to send him to a conference rival.

15. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ives now reporting NE has deal for their #1 (4th overall), then guesses maybe Rapids involved.

Brian Bilello@RevsPrez
    Looks like we may have a deal in place for tomorrow stay tuned #nerevs fans #tease
    Retweeted by Ives Galarcep

16. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its easy in my mind, higher pick trumpets allocation since we will never ever know how its used, amount given, etc.

But your right, we will never have concrete evidence of what trade options were.

17. Couchtoast

Couchtoast Member

May 22, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jayd8888, Jasonma and COMtnGuy repped this.
  18. Couchtoast

Couchtoast Member

May 22, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And now the Revs have traded with TFC for the #1 spot. Guess we could still try to trade for the #3 spot if we think it will guarantee us Zimmerman.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So now its LaBrocca, the #11 pick, an international spot, and $75K for Larentowicz and the rights to Avila?

Anyone objecting to this needs to have a really good argument...

jdub3379 repped this.
  20. SoccaJ

SoccaJ Member

Colorado Rapids
    Jun 25, 2007
    Firestone, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes me wonder for sure.....the fact that the RFO was purportedly trying to secure the #1 pick means they had someone they really liked in mind up there....gotta wonder, now, if they will go after TFC's pick #3

21. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt TFC will trade. It sounded like they wanted one of the two CBs and Bekker. They guarantee themselves that with 3 and 4. If they trade to 6, they might lose Bekker to Vancouver at 5 and we surely would take whichever CB New England doesn't take.

EDIT: Sounds like I might be wrong about New England wanting to make sure they come away with one of Farrell/Zimmerman, because still rumors swirling about us swapping picks with them to get Zimmerman.

22. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taken as a whole absolutely. Viewed as two separate deals the JL deal doesn't look that great. It isn't bad though and I doubt we had much leverage as everyone knew he didn't fit the new system

23. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    One question, is it LaBrocca for the rights to Avila? Or, is it the rights to LaBrocca for the rights of Avila?

24. WJMarx

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right 0n. As you have clearly pointed out 2 separate deals. LaBrocca for Avila rights was a very good deal, whereas, Larentowicz for #11 & cash not so good!

25. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States