DP's

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by TX Bill, Dec 2, 2012.

1. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if GDS just preferred going to LA over Houston?

JC507 repped this.
  2. dreamingawake09

Jun 12, 2010
    Just gonna have to suck it up and move on. Houston: If you work in energy of any kind, you'll love us.

3. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Great question. The way the league works (remember Boyd) is as long as Houston has him on discovery or has made him an offer he cannot go where he wants without us receiving compensation. If our FO agrees to compensation fine. If he just ends up there, I better hear we passed on him else the result is a complete end around.

Oh, and of course he prefers LA.

4. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Compensation? First round draft pick? Late first round pick?

If GDS goes to LA, I don't think it means anything about AEG willing to sign for LA but not us. It could be he prefers LA like someone said, or maybe at the time we were trying to sign him he really didn't want to come to MLS. But now he sees how Beckham and Keene have been doing and thinks it could be good for him as well. I would love GDS here but I always thought it was far fetched, it's gonna be a long time before we get players like that here. LA, NY, Chicago will always be the first places the players will wanna go.

5. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I didn't say it was an indication of AEG and their willingness to sign someone. However, the rules are in place and my hope is they are followed if he ends up in LA. Which means, we would have either given up on him or allowed LA to sign him for compensation. Either way, I want to know we made the choice. If things are done by the rules, we could block him from going to LA but nature of our discovery rights and previous contracts talks (if still in place). So if the process is not followed; I will be floored. That is all I was saying. As for the level of compensation . . . we got a first round for Boyd-I would expect more.

JC507 repped this.
  6. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotcha. I thought compensation was equal. Didn't know it would depend on the player.

7. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Add my name to the protest petition, boycott, soccer riot or whatever we have scheduled if GDS goes to LA.

I remember Glenn having all sorts of reasons why he should come here. It seems like he used to come here when he was younger, his uncle used to play for the Hotshots and is a friend of Glenn's and still has ties to Houston, and it seems like there were other family ties to Houston. I might be off on some of those details but it went something like that.

jvilla07 repped this.
  8. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I think it is a negotiation.

JC507 repped this.
  9. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    No to mention that GDS would only be a direct 1hr 45min flight to his hometown from here in Houston.

10. cougarclaws

cougarclaws Member

May 8, 2006
    Lucky's Pub
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We made GDS the 2nd highest DP offer (2nd to Becks) to date a few years ago and we were told he had zero interest in playing in Houston.

11. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Actually I think we were told he had no interest in MLS.

12. cougarclaws

cougarclaws Member

May 8, 2006
    Lucky's Pub
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not what I was told.

13. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    well you said "we." If "you" were told something different . . . . . :)

14. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's true, I remember that too, but wasn't it more like he had no interest in coming to Houston compared to where he was at the time? Not necessarily that he was against a move to Houston.

15. cougarclaws

cougarclaws Member

May 8, 2006
    Lucky's Pub
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PM sent. Can't out this source. I have him saying "no" to Houston on pretty good authority.

troutseth repped this.
  16. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we could cough up 100M USD, then we could get him.

17. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why I said from "a European perspective."

I completely understand that's he's well known in Central and North America. I knew who he was before he came to us.

18. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    cash or charge?

19. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking more along the lines of an installment plan.

1MM a year for 100 years.

20. huesocolorado

huesocolorado Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It always come down to money. Generally, you pay a guy enough, and he will play where you ask him to play. The whole idea of job satisfaction is does your employer pay you enough to put up with the crap that you have to do in your job. If GDS plays in LA at this point after the Dynamo went after him, it means that AEG is offering the right $ amount to convince him to come.

If AEG really cared about the Dynamo and they really wanted him in TX, then this is what they should be saying now... "GDS we aren't interested unless you are playing in Houston. We gave you an offer to play there, and that was rejected." That is the ethical thing to do, but then again... Ethics don't seem to be a common thing amongst corporations these days.

Now, I won't give up my Orange. The slogan is "Forever Orange"... but it doesn't mean I like the owners, or the fact that they are trying to maximize their assets in preparation for their sale. Thus, the rejection to the Rocket's owner. I will still be a Dynamo fan, and I will still watch Dom be the greatest coach ever (better than Arena who has always been handed talent, and never developed it) doing much more with less.

Hungryjack repped this.
  21. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    better to be loved back by Brian Ching than be tolerated by Kaka.

22. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish we could just give all our guys a raise honestly instead of paying some over-priced dude that does not have his heart in Houston and probably won't work as hard as our guys.

23. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    Gio is so stuck up/arrogant he even rejected an offer to play for Granada CF in the 1st Division La Liga and be their star.

He isn't setting the World on fire in Mallorca either.

Pass.

dadcoachref repped this.
  24. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Gio has had bad luck with injuries at the moment isn't he coming back from his third injury after the one he got in the Olympics?... Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

25. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Bump

Do we need another one by this summer?