Downton Abbey: Series 3

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Matrim55, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you know? I mean, it was a really well-executed Chekhov's gun - they only showed the car once, and even had the nice last-episode misdirect.

Anyway, season 3 was enjoyable. Much better than season 2 almost front to back, though not even close to season 1. I'm not sure how season 4 will be relevant, however, since they've answered all the real "class" questions that Matthew joining the family brought up waaay back in the beginning, and because the two interesting characters (Matthew and Sybil) are now pushing daisies. Seems all that's left is interpersonal drama.

Oh, and Cousin Poochie arrived right on time! Just perfect!

2. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet -- as I'm sure was true for many if not most viewers (who didn't already know what was coming) -- the instant it came on screen, I shouted:
    "Oh Lord... WHY are they showing him driving that car....No, no, no, no!... surely this cannot be happening...."

<cut to a truck>

"....Wow... this is happening...."

I guess Mary's just gonna be that much more icier henceforth? She may as well be the Lady of Winterfell.

By the way, after I watched it a few weeks ago, I looked into the reaction of British viewers -- and found out the episode actually aired in the UK on Christmas Day! People were furious!

Kinda funny, now. . . .

3. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have not watched the series. At first glance, the series appears to be a knockoff of upstairs downstairs.

4. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Just an inspired guess.

Matt in the Hat, Matrim55 and frasermc repped this.
  5. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now now, no need to be sarcastic.

I never understood, why someone would want to be so bold as to create a copy of an original. It's not as if it's been 50+ years since Upstairs Downstairs was on TV. Do producers think that people forgot or they all died that no one would notice?

6. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could, you know, reserve your opinion until you watch it. That's what normal people would do.

Matrim55 and usscouse repped this.
  7. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He wasn't responding to you.

8. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The show might well be well made and acted. However, it is a copy of Upstairs Downstairs.

9. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    No it is not!
    Totally different story, totally different settings. Up and down was set in london with all it's side stories. Downton is set in the country at Highclair Manor.

But I guess you've already made your mind up...without seeing any of it. Funny, This doesn't sound like you at all.

Never mind.

Sort of like saying, I've seen the godfather so all other gangster movies are copies.
    I saw the longest day so any other WWII movies are just copies. Etc etc...:)

10. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Locations are different, but isn't the plot the same? Story of the high brows and their servants.

11. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't the plot of everything really the same? Stories of people and their lives...

usscouse and Matrim55 repped this.
  12. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Yeh and gangsters use Thompsons or baseball bats. While WWII stories use Thompsons, Garands or Lee Enfields.
    C'mon Alberto, I expect better from you..:)

13. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all 100% the same. You shouldn't watch it - you'd hate it.

usscouse repped this.
  14. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about you watch it and find out, you old crotchety pain in the ass.

15. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Some of the characters and stories have been reupped or changed around.

For instance the Cook andtThe Scullery Maid are direct copies even down to personality

They also riff on the same periods - pre war, ww1 etc.

But Downton is way more of a soap where as UD showed much more of London life and the political aspects

16. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing is that Upstairs Downstairs is one of the great series in the history of television. It's context was always framed by commentary that set the tone for the episode by late great Alistair Cooke. Upstairs, Downstairs appeared on Masterpiece Theater.

So when I see a show that is set in the same time period, with the same theme, the class contrast between the Aristocratic homeowners and their staff it does raise questions as to why someone thinks they could improve on the original.

People criticize remakes of great films all the time. Remaking Upstairs, Downstairs falls into this same category. It's an entirely fair criticism.

Here is an interesting article where Jean Marsh commented on Downton Abbey.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...airs-Downstairs-makes-Christmas-comeback.html

Now granted at the time she was busy acting in the sequel to Upstairs Downstairs and took a shot at Downton, but I must say this borders on outright theft of intellectual property.

Interestingly enough Marsh was the co-creator of Upstairs, Downstairs.

If you are under 45 years of age, you probably would bash me, since you never saw or heard of Upstairs, Downstairs.

17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're saying it has more or less been 50+ years since it was on TV? ;)

18. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    As someone who watched all of Upstairs, Downstairs last year - Downton doesn't bother me at all as it is far less serious.

Yes you think from time to time that stuff is blatantly ripped off.

But there is a completely different vibe.

Upstairs, Downstairs is miles better. Its like comparing a proper period drama with Melrose place.

Alberto repped this.
  19. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Wind-up merchant! :D

20. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, your math is a bit askew. ;) However, it has been 38 years since Upstairs, Downstairs completed it's run on PBS's Masterpiece Theater.

21. TxDynamo

TxDynamo Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Houston
    It wont.

After killing 2 characters on the episode their babies where born in 1 season, ill be surprised if Downton can recover from that shoddy writing. If they wanted to kill them off, Matthews death should have been pushed to season 4. imo.

22. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don't think it was a matter of wanting to kill them off. I thought it was because the actors wanted to leave the series. Maybe it could've been done better, but I don't think it was solely the writers' decision so much as a practical one.