Donovan in the media

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by StillKickin, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just watched the whole US bid presentation. Awesome sauce. I hope we win.

Way to go, Landon - in a way his whole career leads up to this, and he represents the entire teenager-hood of our sport in the US. Now we need to move into adulthood gracefully and powerfully. I can't believe I just wrote this crap - must have been inspired by Clinton's legacy talk.

2. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I LOVE that we got Morgan Freeman. Any delegates that don't vote for Morgan Freeman will be declared legally insane.

3. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's so true though. This is all apart of Landon Donovan's Destiny no matter how crazy it sounds. His life story is going to make an awesome movie someday and I'm not being facetious either. :cool:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe6yMPeU0DE"]YouTube - Dec. 1, 2010: USA 2022 Bid Presentation[/ame]

4. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, fellow Galaxy fans, I'm bitterly disappointed and feeling cynical about losing the bid - it seems it only makes sense in the context of bribery and/or the decline of influence of the English-speaking part of the world. Does everyone really hate us that much?

I think the WC to the Middle East is great, but . . . move it to another time of year, involve other countries, something - the idea of the Qatar World Cup boggles the mind. Every other country that bid for 2018 and 2022 made more sense than Qatar.

5. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldnt have said it better myself. I just don't get it. Air conditioned stadia aside, FIFA has got to be nuts. I can't help but get the feeling that money talks here.

And even Russia over some of the other bids for 2018? The country has been a mecca for organized crime and racketeering since the fall of communism. FIFA must feel right at home there:(

6. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. Corruption wins yet again.

And it's like FIFA just doesn't really care if everyone knows it.

7. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's so repulsive, and the feeling is made even worse because there's little anyone can do about it, everyone's so busy scratching each other's backs.

8. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Qatar makes no sense financially, logistically, or any other kind of "ly". It just doesn't. Money talks in FIFA. Apparently, though, not the kind of money you earn legitimately by hosting a successful and packed World Cup in a free state in a stable region such as Australia or the US. Apparently if it's not handed to you in a briefcase in a back alley, it's just not FIFA money.

Like others I really pondered flipping FIFA the bird and getting the hell out of it, but its not practical nor logical. All governmental entities become corrupt given enough time. Power (which is really what money brings) corrupts. Any new formation would eventually turn into what FIFA looks like today. An idealist might say that we could prevent corruption with transparency and other measures, and for a while it may work, but in the long run we can't. On the other hand, fixing FIFA is basically impossible. The guys who would step up to replace Blatter would be just as bad as he. So I don't know what to do. Just grin and bare it I guess.

In the past I knew FIFA was corrupt, but it really hit home today. I lost a lot of my excitement for future World Cups as a result. I used to be country over club but now I'm thinking that could change.

I will be toasting to the ExCo contracting cholera tonight.

9. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we could do something. Tell FIFA that the 2022 WC TV rights in the United States are now valued at $6.98, take it or leave it.

10. propeller74

propeller74 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it a little tough to believe that Donovan will stay put and not go on loan to England. Even though, that's what he needs to do.

However, where do you think he will go?

Everton?
    Toon?
    Fulham?

I hope it's back to Everton if anything (even as a Liverpool fan).

11. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know why he would go out on loan and not hold out for a sale. I suppose nobody wants to afford him, or the Galaxy won't sell. But the good news is if he goes on loan, we get him back. The bad news, he'll be tired again at the end of the season, but probably not as exhausted as he was this year. Stay healthy, LD!

12. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLHnpIf5pWA&feature=sub"]YouTube - Dec. 14, 2010: Studio 90[/ame]

13. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for posting that, Ghosting. My question is - what are they doing to the seats in those two sections at the HDC? Looked really weird.

14. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
  15. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but you know that FSC would start a bidding war and drive that shit up to, like, $158, $160 bucks. Plus a bunch of free Penny Talk phone cards.

17. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woman you crack me up. You mean you don't "buy it for the articles"?

18. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha! "I just called my brother in Antarctica and we talked for three hours!"

19. strike

strike New Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Did you like the soccer choos that I sent you, bro?"

20. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donovan wins USMNT Player of the Year:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzl9GNrApTw"]YouTube - Dec. 20, 2010: Studio 90 Reveals 2010 Athletes of the Year[/ame]

21. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simply amazing, but not surprising. His 4th time for this award, and the video says he led the team in goals for the year for the 5th time, and in total points for the 7th time, and he led MLS in assists in only 24 games. Yikes. I wonder if he has another Honda for his garage this year, too? That would be #8, I think.

22. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. SupraEA

SupraEA Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    surely he either makes the same as her or more?? is he just trying to stick it to her for dumping him?

25. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC

"Say, er, I don't want to sound rude or ungrateful, but is there any chance you could make sure it's not mentioned, like, at all that I've won this car?"

He should sign it and put it on Ebay.