Donovan and Klinsy

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by yankeeRoyal, Jan 9, 2013.

1. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or maybe he is not treating them like worthless bums. Maybe he is very much a player's coach like most have said. Do you think JK calling Wondo and explaining to him in detail why JK did not call Wondo up for the last WCQ was treating Wondo like a "worthless bum"?

Maybe some people on BS just get riled up over meaningless stuff.

BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  2. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And maybe some people ask some decent questions. Works both ways. Why we are here to discuss.

3. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    Your post makes no sense. Either he was a hero and should've had the job back. Or, as by many rumors, was undeservedly a hero and all credit was due to Jogi.

My understand is that the latter is true, the job wasn't really his for the taking. He could've renewed but he losing his grip and no one wants to be a manager of a team they don't control.

4. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's getting "riled up"? I think some of us are just trying to get into JK's head a bit, is all, which hardly seems uncalled-for given some of his established eccentricities as a coach.

Klinsmann seems to associate this kind of tough talk with creating the sort of atmosphere that challenges and drives players, something he feels American soccer is missing. I think a lot of folks disagree with that basic claim or that Klinsmann's prescription is the solution.

deuteronomy and Berks repped this.
  5. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323940004578258072832363036.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
    There is NOTHING about this article that i don't agree with. The US soccer community 100% accepts mediocrity. Spot on, people have low standards, living off the past, and these players haven't won shit that matters. People love to bring of meaningless moral victories like hey we beat spain in the confederations cup. That tourney has no prestige. It doesn't matter. But that's what we live off of. Cause way to many people coddle these guys.

GiallorossiYank, ckl26 and y-lee-coyote repped this.
  6. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yup

7. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    You know what, screw the great white ape, he had two unbelievable saves on landycakes then lost the final for Germany in which they thoroughly outplayed Brazil.

8. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Dempsey pretty much agrees and always has. He built a nice career with the whites, but he wasnt challenging himself anymore at that level and he knows it. JK is also blustering a bit, people STILL find it a coincidence that the team 'what' saved Clintonius is the team what JK played fur?

9. yankeeRoyal

yankeeRoyal Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgive me if I made it complicated. My understanding is that Klinsy was a national hero in Germany after their third place finish in 2006, and the job was his if he wanted to continue. I however, don't think Klinsy deserved much credit.

10. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    I think I was trying to point out that the job might of been his for the taking but it would've been a figurehead spot. There's no reason why anyone would want to be a headcoach and have little control.

So he resigned, said it was because of the stress and being away from family rather than look like a child in adults clothes.

11. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    How about when he said that the U.S. needs to get to the place where there are "eleven Landon Donovan's on the field at once." Seems pretty complimentary to me.

12. yankeeRoyal

yankeeRoyal Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds good......hope it was recently.

13. Bookmesir

Bookmesir Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    emphasis is mine...
    English 101: ...might have been, not might of been...
    This grammatical error is so very common on these boards its driving me crazy.:geek::mad:

Anyway... here's a Boston accent grammatical tense joke:

A man takes a plane to Boston and gets into a taxi after landing at Logan Airport. The driver asks "Wheah to?"
    The man says," Do you know where I can get scrod?"
    The driver replies, " I've been asked that question many times, but never in the future pluperfect tense."
    rim shot/cymbal crash

Master O repped this.
  14. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Is it possible that used the word drive when it is really a putt?:)

15. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    Thanks. I appreciated the long winded post about something I'm well aware of.

16. Bookmesir

Bookmesir Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that would be where to get scrod in Boston, right?

17. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our guys haven't done anything and a lot of them are too comfortable where they are. You can't say you want to compete with the best teams and 'just win' and do the aforementioned.

You guys feel insulted hearing that from a European but Arena said it too. If you don't like his supposed tone(the whole article was quite encouraging actually stop picking out one quote) or choice of words; stop being a wet blanket.

People keep saying that guys like Brad Davis are being overlooked but I don't that's the only explanation; these guys get comfortable with just being great players in MLS. Which is fine in and of itself, I don't think Davis ever had any great hopes of starring for the national team. But it sort of hurts when the face of ussocer has been saying things like we want to compete with the best but is sitting in MLS and for some time has just been winging it for large stretches of the season.

18. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    I didn't read anything past the correction. So.... yes.

19. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. I have no idea what the first part means as we have had a national team for years now and have players that have won awards, championships, and personal success.

2. "for some time/large stretches of the season" - Not proven in the numbers.

20. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. I'm talking about a general attitude of what happens in MLS. A sizable amount of guys would like to play for the national team but don't want to be committed to the level of excellence that it takes. Most of the USMNT does not fall into this category.

2. To me for the last two season Donovan has just looked like a guy going through the motions for the first halves of those seasons. I see a guy like Henry who brings it every game and it makes me wonder. I would expect more of the same this upcoming season after his extended 'break'.

21. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a lot of the guys in MLS would give their left arms to be on national teams. You hear it in interviews, and you hear it when they are bummed they aren't called in. I think it has nothing to do with commitment - it's the fact that some of them just don't have the level of talent necessary to be the cream of the crop. That's what the Nats should be. By nature that is going to exclude a ton of players. That's the nature of the National team.

Ah, the good ol' eyeball test. Hope that worked out well for Henry when he let Miller take an important freekick at the end of the playoffs to help his team lose while Landon was helping lead his team to the MLS Cup on the heels of a statistically solid season. He had a bad Mar-May, no problems saying that. But he made up for it.

22. SuperChivo

SuperChivo Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Do you really believe that the USA isn't on the level of Spain or Germany because the US soccer community is happy to accept mediocrity? Might there be other factors in play? Should we never celebrate a win until it is a win the the final match of a World Cup?

deuteronomy, Berks and MPNumber9 repped this.
  23. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never celebrate a win unless it's the final of the World Cup? Who's saying that?
    I do think that the US soccer community being too impressed with less than meaningful results has played a part in the US not being as strong as it could be.
    It was great to celebrate that win over Spain back in 2009. That win was a lot of fun, but it's time to move on and avoid the trap of using that match three years ago as proof of the strength of U.S. Soccer in 2013. At the end of the day, that one result was just that: a singular result in a tournament that most of the world doesn't think twice about. I still hear people boast that the U.S. led Brazil 2-0 at halftime of the final. That sort of moral victory is no longer acceptable if we want to move on the next level.

24. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Any specifics to explain your overarching statement?
    What does USSF need to do other than gloat about past performances?

25. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    YES. I do. But it's not about celebrating a win. Winners celebrate for one night then move on to the bigger goal. American soccer fans still celebrate simply playing germany, celebrate 2006, celebrate, beating spain. Do you really think Germany is celebrating making the quarter finals? Think Holland is celebrating making a final? lol. Yeah that's the difference. You want to endlessly celebrate a moral victory. We'd rather beat Mexico and brag. We'd rather defend and counter than take inititive. We'd rather claim MLS is great than call players on poor play. I'm not saying MLS sucks. But when a defender can't trap, can't pass but is good at booting the ball and heading we think he's special. Omar Gonazles? yeah he's ok but he's not playing top competition, at a top club, where he's going to be required to defend a rooney or a pedro in open field, he's not gonna be asked to play the ball with his feet like a Pique, or a David Luis, Terry, etc. We loved Onyewu but really he was mediocre. Yeah, And because we demand so little as fans coaches and as a country we get players that never raise their game. We kissed Donovan's ass, and he's a good player but the best he got was, consistently playing at midtable Everton and though he did an ok job he wasn't a great player. He didn't go from their to United or City or Madrid or Juve or pick any other top team in the world. For as good as Donvan was we tolerated him not being pushed, him coasting in MLS. That's unique to soccer. because in no other sport do we kiss the ass of a player that can't compete with the best. Nobody kisses the ass of a golfer in cue school or a minor league baseball player. In America you be the best or you're shit. Nobody cares if you can play basketball in Spain or Greece or Italy. They care if you can get it done in the NBA. And the standard is Jordan. And i'm simply sick of kissing these guys asses that don't do shit. Juan Agudelo? Seriously, He did F all last year and people are talking about loans. That's silly. Hell at least Wondo scored. And i don't even think Wondo is special. Adu, he's got skill but doesn't do squat with it. My only standard is be great. And most american players have nothing but an excuse. Why can't you dribble as good as neymar or messi? Whose stopping you from going out and practicing your technique every day for a decade. Don't i think there are other factors? Well the factors are all part of the same problem. They aren't willing to work hard enough. I'm just sick of the climate that tolerates excuses and mediocrity. And it's my personal opinion that we don't have a winners attitude.