Donovan and Klinsy

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by yankeeRoyal, Jan 9, 2013.

1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
  2. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    No, that's not it. This was the problem in 2002:
    [​IMG]

LGRod repped this.
  3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He was thirsty. I don't see the problem. It can happen to anyone.

4. yankeeRoyal

yankeeRoyal Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena says LD will be back for the Galaxy. Klinsman not as well informed on LD's return to USMNT.

5. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He did not say "for the galaxy" in the quote I read. he said "back on the field."

6. yankeeRoyal

yankeeRoyal Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point, but either way.....Arena seems to know more than Klinsmann.

7. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena just recently talked to Donovan so of course he knows more than Klinsmann who last talked to Donovan a few weeks ago.

8. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He doesnt know when or how either.

I am sure Landon comes back to USMNT when he comes back to galaxy too.

9. Bookmesir

Bookmesir Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man oh man, does anybody have Donovan's cell phone #???

All this hearsay has gotten me dizzy.

Crap, I'd even prefer to watch us play a friendly against Canada or something.

10. yankeeRoyal

yankeeRoyal Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whaaaat? I swear this is an Onion article:

Really?

12. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See the Klinsmann Coaching thread, we've been talking about this article.

13. Bookmesir

Bookmesir Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that's what I'm talking about!

You know JK is right about the mindset here. We feed our kids at an early age everyone gets a trophy, nobody's feelings get hurt. Played in college, ...don't mean sh&t...played in MLS don't mean sh&t...quarter-finals...sorry, they boo you as you get off the plane, if the plane is landing in Rome, Madrid, Berlin, Rio et al

Do you remember how good Klinnsman was in 1988 and then in 1990?
    His debut was filled with promise and he met it and then some thereafter. His teammates weren't too shabby either.

Katreus, BimmerBenz95 and y-lee-coyote repped this.
  14. yankeeRoyal

yankeeRoyal Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you remember the reason Klinsy didn't continue to coach the German National Team?

"Klinsmann declined to renew his contract, informing the DFB of his decision on 11 July 2006. The decision was officially announced by the DFB on 12 July 2006. Klinsmann said "My big wish is to go back to my family, to go back to leading a normal life with them ... After two years of putting in a lot of energy, I feel I lack the power and the strength to continue in the same way."
    Jeez, Jurgen......you needed a vacation after just 2 years? Suprised you didn't continue to push yourself.

15. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh. That's wonderfully ironic.

16. Bookmesir

Bookmesir Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not just to be a dick or devil's advocate, but he was coaching Germany, and in the media spotlight everyday. His California home afforded (and affords) him an anonymity that doesn't exist in Europe. I bet he can pretty much still go most anywhere in the US without being hounded by fans, critics, paparazzi...and when he goes to Germany, he still retains his celebrity status. Probably would be the same in London and Milan, too.
    Dempsey and Donovan mall surfing in middle America, dressed in jeans and nondescript hoodies probably wouldn't draw a crowd.

BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  17. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zzzzzzzzzz.............

Doesn't mean Clint and Landon have other issues with media and fans. As we are well aware of. Let's stop trying to compare our climate with Europe. They are different.

18. yankeeRoyal

yankeeRoyal Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think these are good points but they don't really address my main arguments. Let me elaborate.

1) If Klinsy thinks that it is valuable for himself to have time off in a safe haven like SC where he can be anonymous......why does he deny the value of time off for his own players?

2) If Klinsy is unimpressed with MLS and Tottenham and urges Donovan and Dempsey to push themselves ever higher to play CL footy in europe, with the added pressure of the fans and media.....why would Jurgen himself, go in the exact opposite direction? Quiting a top 5 national team to later run a top 10 club (after 2 years off) and then a top 30 team (after another 2 years off) would seem lazy and complacent regression compared to Dempsey's ever upward progression. No?

Berks repped this.
  19. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    Are you really taking a press released statement as absolute? What he said there was a shit ton better than saying, "I'm practically being pushed out in order for Jogi to take over. I'm not really wanted here."

20. yankeeRoyal

yankeeRoyal Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? Klinsy was (however undeservedly) a German hero after their 2006 3rd place finish. The job was his if he wanted it.

21. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's sort of a lame stereotype. Haven't we been saying the problem with soccer at the youth level is actually that there's too much emphasis on winning and getting a result? In general, it's sort of weird for a Western European to characterize the US as a place that coddles people and children.

Having said that, there's a significant difference between the way we treat our sports stars here and elsewhere, I guess. It's not that we coddle them but we aren't constantly critical of them, either, as they seem to be in Europe. Maybe that's the culture Klinsmann is trying to bring to the US, but I'm curious if you can't get results without treating players like they're worthless bums all the time no matter how well they perform.

Berks repped this.
  22. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry but just off the top of my head, do you believe that Howard is one "of the best GK in the world" or "Fab is the best LB in the BL". ;)

23. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we use that as criteria, then Brazilians are the most coddling nation in the world, since they think all of their players are the best at any given time.

Berks repped this.
  24. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given that those are JK statements, is he trying to treat them like "worthless bums" while "coddling them" at the same time?

25. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he's got split personalities?