Don Garber's State of The League Address [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Knave, Dec 3, 2013.

1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The call Real Salt Lake "Salt Lake City", they call the Colorado Rapids "Denver", they call DC United, "Washington". I wouldn't read too much into it.

Ismitje, JasonMa, henryo and 1 other person repped this.
  2. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Those business/social circles definitely exist and Joe Roth is prime example of that. When he wanted to be part of MLS he did not go first to Seattle but to NY. It is not bad thing at all. For me amazing thing is how Jews and Germans work together nicely. Only in America!
    Also I am not fan of giving expansion to NFL owners who do not have passion for soccer. It will produce more NER situations.

3. notebook

notebook Member

Jun 25, 2002
    That strikes me as an overly negative take on things. In large sections of the immigrant community soccer is #1. In our largely white / Asian suburban area, youth football is in decline and basketball seems to only be seriously pursued in families with height (6'+) and/or a history of playing basketball. Sure there are some families who prefer baseball (or lacrosse) to soccer but there are others who prefer soccer - I do not see all the good athletes going to one or the other. In our area lacrosse is probably the more serious competitor to soccer since it draws on a similar set of athletic skills (speed, agility, similar build). A number of the serious baseball kids (not all) are bigger, huskier kids who probably would not run the field that well.

I think there really is an opening for soccer in the African American community. Seems like football and basketball have become the dominant sports in the African American community. Baseball participation has dropped off and ice hockey and lacrosse participation has really never started and faces obvious obstacles. There are some issues with seriously pursuing football (injury risk / head trauma concerns) and basketball (probably limited if not 6'+). I think kids / families could be interested in pursuing soccer as a #2 or #3 sport. And then if some kids show a talent and turn pro? I do not know the family backgrounds of recent MLS home grown signings (Yedlin, Acosta etc) but I am guessing some of them are not from immigrant backgrounds.

4. wildthing2022000

Oct 24, 2005
    Douglas, MA
    Well we will have to wait till 2017 for Kraft because if by some miracle Boston gets selected to host the Olympics the state will have to build a stadium in the city which would probably end up being the Revs new home.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's much easier to manage an MLS cap than an NFL cap because of the impact of signing bonuses on cap numbers in the NFL. There are other reasons why it makes sense to hire someone like that in the NFL but not MLS, but that's the biggest.

6. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right and by then they will have perfected the downsizing technology. :rolleyes::thumbsup:

7. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about having to deal with players who are generation Adidas players and Homegrown players? And I still can't understand why you can't sign a DP and front load his contract so he is only a DP for a year or two? Pay a player $4mil over four years but give him $2 mil., $1.5, than $250,000 for the last two years. Helps with cap space and frees up DP space while you still have a DP caliber player or makes him easier to cut.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Al Franken's book, Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot, he tells some poignant stories about anti-Semitism in Minneapolis.

Just sayin'.

9. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All in for Atlantis United FC!

the fightin Namor's!!!

Theres even leaked kits!

[​IMG]
    can't believe I actually found a picture of the sub mariner in a soccer jersey....[/quote]

Dont forget about having another expansion slot available so we can have a natural rivalry with Poseidonis Athletic! Aquaman for the win! lol

[​IMG]

10. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And of course I glance at it and keep thinking, "Hawaii? Really?"

11. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want the Puerto Rico Islanders to come to MLS.

harrylee773 repped this.
  12. aperfectring

aperfectring Member+

Jul 13, 2011
    Hillsboro, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    They need to start playing again in NASL (which isn't happening in 2014) before they'll even be considered for MLS.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's like asking why a forward doesn't just catch a cross and throw it into the goal.

Because it's against the rules.

Neuwerld repped this.
  14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    O RLY?
    [​IMG]
    ;):D

15. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. He said that, like other pro leagues, the goal of the roster rules is to help the business, and if that makes it too complicated for anyone but a capologist to understand, that's not the league's problem.

If the league needs a new rule, the league needs a new rule. Who exactly is hurt by that? Hint: it's not the team owners, because when you say "the league" you're saying "the team owners."

16. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really I never saw this rule. Players in the past have been DP's and taken a pay cut. Shalrie Joseph was a dp and stayed on the Sounders.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. The terms of the contract were altered. That's different from the contract having the pay cut built in from the beginning.

The reason for this is obvious...the elite teams financially would just sign a new crop of 2 DPs each year to, say, 3 year deals, with the first year being for a gazillion dollars and the next 2 years being for a small amount. So the Sounders would have a lineup of 6 to 9 DP quality players each year. SOME people, the Europhiles, think that would be fine, and I understand that. But the league owners don't want that kind of league, so that kind of contract isn't permitted.

blacksun repped this.
  18. gblfxt

gblfxt Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    true, but the don did say the rules were more 'guidelines'

19. Indiscretion

Indiscretion Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

21. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Orange County, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah. They also say Denver and Washinton for the Rapids and United. They're probably just trying to show the major markets that have teams in or close enough near them.

22. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    No one think that they just name cities I take it?

23. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You say it like it's a fact but is it the rule is all I'm asking? To me it would be just like a signing bonus in the NFL. You could have a much more efficient budget and add quality to the league. The league is only responsible for a small portion of the contract and the team would fave to pay the rest. What is the difference if Red Bull can manage the cap effectively and still absorb the loss, I'm sure they do that now. By the way we kind of already have that kind of league now with the DP's in LA, NY and Seattle.

24. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    That Blank article makes him seem like another NFL owner content with doing the bare minimum to be part of MLS.

I realize the league needs Atlanta for its TV footprint, but another Kraft-type ownership and more games on mashed-down fake turf is redundant--we've already got that, thanks.

25. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the other 21 owners need to vote on it, and it seems that the ones dedicated to soccer outnumber the hangers-on at this point. I'm not sure that the owners would let a team in that's going to be another NE or Chivas. LA, Seattle, Portland, KC, Orlando, NYRB, RSL, Montreal, et al, have too much invested in the game at this point to pull another Chivas move.

Also, the fact that Atlanta is building a Vancouver-esque stadium speaks to some level of commitment to MLS.