Don Garber: Unhappy with Buck Shaw Profanity

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Socarchist, Nov 29, 2012.

1. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is precisely the ONE motion that the knees of Merryl and me will not allow. :^)

2. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course. His mouth drips with Anshits.

3. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  4. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm envisioning a feckin' big Feck Robbie Keane sign for the next Galaxy game - I think he'd understand the reference.

5. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feck-yu is an old form of martial arts in Scotland.

6. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marital art too!

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sometimes profanity is not merely appropriate but laudatory.

The Ultras held their annual post-season "Heart of an Ultra Award" party last weekend. Unlike your typical awards banquet, this was an excuse to drink and get rowdy in a bar (in other words, it was more fun.) Jon Busch won the award this season, and was serenaded with his double-entendre chant, "Some Like it Shaved, but We Love Busch!,"while standing on the bar stooped to avoid the ceiling. ("This is the first time I've ever had to duck to avoid bumping my head," the diminutive goalkeeper joked.) Among the bill of particulars cited by the Ultras for giving him the award (including soldiering on after taking a cleat in the head from Cam Weaver and countenancing no shenanigans from a KC ballboy) was that he was once caught on TV giving the finger to the ref while the Quakes were being robbed by the phantom Saborio PK at RSL. :)

krudmonk repped this.
  8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Is Garber still unhappy with Buck Shaw Profanity even though his beloved LA Gals & Becks & LAndy are now MLS CUP Champs?

9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we really give a flying ********?

markmcf8 repped this.
  10. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you don't want the team punished, we should give a flying ******.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Gerber will punish us? How so? Will he deduct points or games? I'll bet he won't have the guts to do either and its never happened before so I seriously doubt he will start now.

He was mad at TFC fans a few years ago about how they were throwing confetti or something but nothing changed or at least he didn't punish the team. I mean seriously, what will or can he do? Not much...

athletics68 repped this.
  12. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Falvo beat me to it. How do you propose he would punish Quakes fans?

13. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Send Alexi Lalas back.

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He is actually looking better these days....

15. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    It's not about how he looks. The problem is what's in his brain, or what isn't, as it were, and what comes out of his mouth :--).

16. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What can he or will he do? Not much? The guy is the commissioner of the league. He can do whatever if he feels warranted. If the Ultras and other fans repeatedly use profanity or otherwise upset the league (and more importantly, its sponsors) after repeatedly making their disapproval known and repeated warnings, he will do the only thing that will make it stop - take it out directly on the club. Game forfeitures, suspensions, point deduction, what have you. Again, it's their product. It's their private event. They don't owe you or fans anything. It's a business first and foremost, and if they are losing money because people just have to use profanity then they will do what it takes to curtail it.

17. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't you heard? He shaved his mustache.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He won't do those things because he doesn't have the guts and because he wants the stadium built and he can't afford to do that stuff with any of the clubs across the league. Can you imagine what repercussions it would lead to , especially with sponsorships and TV and SUM money? That will be the day he deducts points and forfeits games. I'll believe it when I see it.

19. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would never reach that point because the club would have taken care of it long before then.

20. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Maybe this was all about The Big Buck Shaw As MLS Cup Venue Scare :--)? Gerbs was putting this in his back pocket in case the Quakes got too far and The Shaw was the only viable venue.

Cut, cut, cut!! OK, due to excessive "swear words" emanating from the stands here, we need to ask San Jose to forfeit a couple of goals (or ask Victor Bernardez to mysteriously leave the game so that LA can score 3 quick goals and advance).

21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  22. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Something like that. From a Garberesque view, it's ok to diss the fans because of their language, but banning people for using the kind of four-letter words that today's tots imbibe along with their Enfamil? He would be the laughingstock of the sports world, and I bet that doesn't appeal to him.

23. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he doesn't have the balls.

But if he did, he might arrange to have OUR team on fewer national broadcasts. He might make sure that the fans are not mic'ed on broadcasts. He might try to ban the Ultras for a match or two. (Which would directly impact the bottom line income of the league, so chances are he doesn't have the huevos to do that.)

I would prefer that our nation not go the full on potty mouth route of England, where everyone cusses like mule skinners, but I also wish we could get over the Puritanical bullshitte of freaking out over some swearing at sporting events.

GO QUAKES!!!
    F#$% Garber!!
    F#$% el-lay!!

- Mark

bigdumbgod repped this.
  24. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'd actually dispute the notion that this chant is "profane." I wouldn't put it in that category because it's ambiguous, and certainly nothing a 3-5-7 year old kid would even pay attention to. If they did, you could explain it away about being the hair on top of one's head. This is actually precisely the type of chant - ambiguous, slightly dangerous, Earthquake-centric and clever - which the Ultras should focus on, while eschewing the directly and obviously profane chants of "******** <insert rival team here>"

QuietType repped this.
  25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Busch's one-finger salute to the ref was profane.