Don Garber: Unhappy with Buck Shaw Profanity

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Socarchist, Nov 29, 2012.

1. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Maybe he's trying to distract us from the corruption rampant in the league.

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Exactly!

3. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F*** Censorship.

bsman repped this.
  4. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    G**ber can k1$$ my a$$.

bsman and falvo repped this.
  5. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

6. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I agree with Colin.

After teaching 8 year old kids in public school for 34 years I have been able to observe the results of thousands of "parenting" styles (and to compare that with what those parents ASSUME their own results are), and this does shade my opinion somewhat.

I'm not asking for outside censorship, just hoping the Ultras consider Colin's points. Also, Ultras sometimes ask why other fans don't get behind them like they (in the Ultras view) "should", as if anyone who does not appreciate/support Ultras style are not soccer fans or are inferior EQ fans without whom we'd all be better off. It could be that the F-bomb turns off many of those fans.

When the Ultras began leading "Earth"..."Quakes!" chants I got the impression lots of fans got into it. That isn't a particularly "clever" cheer, but it is a great ice-breaker and fans enjoy (and I think appreciate ) Ultras doing that. The inventive things Ultras do much more of are also attractive and bring a positive response. But the "F" chants make it a case of one step forward and one step back.

IMO making that one change would change it to two steps forward. I have stood with the Ultras several times, and when I did I noticed at times (when the stands were not full) kids and parents being attracted towards the Ultras. Then, when the effs started, the family got up and moved away, or, as some have told me, got seats at a future game far away.

The Ultras didn't seem to notice or care, of course. To me it seemed like wasted opportunities to increase Ultra influence and bring more of a "Club" feel to the place where everyone could participate in the passionate atmosphere.

If deleting f**k from their chants is too much to ask, so be it, it is up to them. If, on the other hand, it was able to increase Ultras influence on and off the field with fans (and, I suppose in disputes with the Front Office) and make them perceived as the game-day leaders of the entire new stadium, it might be worth it for them.

Maybe FQK's use of German is a way forward here. Dan can teach the Ultras some Romanian equivalents of "F*** Beckham" to use instead, and perhaps finesse the whole issue.:)

Just my opinion, the Ultras (and you) are free to ignore it of course. ;)

QuietType and DotMPP repped this.
  7. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're still alive and kicking, if our style better suits anybody. There's the 1906 Ultras, the Casbah, and any others if any fans want to form another SG or two.

markmcf8 and QuietType repped this.
  8. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You don't really believe that, do you?

9. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wow. You really were trying to tell me how to be a parent. Or are you joking? I can't tell. Somebody who knows better help me out.

10. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So the "drawing false equivalencies" post by Quietype went over your head, I see. I'd be interested in seeing some Youtube clips of organized fan groups of each group yelling "********" loudly and in unison so that the whole stadium can hear it, and then them NOT getting kicked out of the stadium

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My dad swore to and at me every day of his life in 3 different languages. It was called discipline back then though.....

12. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    'We ******** LA' and 'We don't give a ******** about LA' are a couple of the most retarded, facepalm-inducing chants I've ever had the displeasure of hearing. They sound like a bunch of 10yo boys who just learned how to say the word '********' and decide to use it all the time because it makes them feel older.

I like the idea of profanity to pepper some chants. But for God's sake find some creativity or risk sounding like petulant douchebags. Here's an example for you:

"Tim-timminy, tim-timinny, tim-tim-teroo...
    We've got Tim Howard and he says '******** you.'"

Same sentiment, expressed far more eloquently.

Edit: I don't have parenting advice but I do have a great story. My 2yo daughter once greeted me with "daddy, please get me some ********ing water." What could I say? I chuckled and complimented her perfect grammar.

Beerking and QuietType repped this.
  13. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Adding "f*ck" to chants doesn't make you cool. It's weak sauce and drives off families with small children for zero benefit.

One can be more edgy and effective without profanity.

QuietType repped this.
  14. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    So now you're exacting your revenge on all the other small children in the audience?

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm not saying I swore or swear at a game or at anyone else when I am at a game but how is Don Gabrber going to prevent swearing at a professional sporting event? You have adults smoking (outside) and drinking inside and everyone gets agitated at a call or at a ref or at a player or their girlfriend or someone else sitting next to them or the food they are eating or whatever, so we are going to come in and say stop swearing? I mean are you serious? How in the world can this be prevented and who exactly will put a stop to it? I mean what can he do , kick out the entire Ultras section? I don't think so.

16. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Individual swearing would be tough to ban, but coordinated fan group obscenities that get broadcast? I actually don't think it would be that hard.

You know, the Ultras could have fun with coming up with alternatives, just to tweak the league. Flogging the four-lettered warhorses is sooo uncreative.

QuietType repped this.
  17. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One wonders if this swearing paranoia extends to languages other than English?

18. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Christmas Eve, many years ago, my wife surprised me with a Kawasaki Ninja - key under the tree, bike in the garage. I opened the garage door and in stunned disbelief blurted "what the ******** is that?", my two year old daughter, pacifier in mouth, repeated the same question.

Put about 60K on that bike and still have the wife.

19. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alternatives?

I propose ********.

It's really offensive. :) Perhaps the most offensive word in American English.

It could replace ******** and YSA on goal kicks.

Yooooouuuuuuuuuuuu ********!

While not as flexible as ********, which can be used as a noun, verb, adjective, ... it's strength lies in it's sheer shock value.

It sounds Euro too!

markmcf8 repped this.
  20. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On our side are the San Jose Earthquakes
    Good looking and perfectly fit
    Over there are the Los Angeles Galaxy
    Ugly and they play like Shaving cream
    Be nice and clean
    Shave every day and you'll always look keen.

21. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking the same thing while watching the Liga MX final last night. No one seems to have a problem with it in their league. Of course at half their stadiums the fans are behind chain link fences with barbed wire...

22. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because is part of been fan, I'm sure that if I will understand or speak any other language and watch their (any) sport league, there will be a lot cussing going on.

23. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cute and all, but I don't know if you guys know, the majority of the Ultras chants DO NOT HAVE ANY CUSSING WORDS !

24. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My six year old and I are big fans of the "San Jose Earthquakes, you are my team, until the day I die" chant. He knows all the words and sings along in the stadium.

25. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure that if they existed there will be more than just youtube clips !