Don Garber: Unhappy with Buck Shaw Profanity

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Socarchist, Nov 29, 2012.

1. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The four letter one that starts with "f" and ends with "uck"

2. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don' cuss ada commish!

3. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard one of Quakes Partners is 7up....I can see my banner now:

Hey Garber : make 7 UP YOURS ! ;)

4. futurequakekeeper

Feb 14, 2008
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I come in peace, but two points.

1. Depending how old they are, they probably say profanities regardless.
    2. They will eventually learn them anyways, so fighting it won't do you much good. As a matter of fact, suppressing a kid from those thoughts just makes them all much more rebellious when they get older.

Really, we should not be getting Anal hernias over this word. fcuk. ya know, every kid 7 and older uses it. It is just a word really. Maybe parents should be parenting instead of telling grown men HOW TO ACT at a SPORTING EVENT, which includes ALCOHOL.
    Maybe, I dunno like..uhm..ya know. tell the kids when it is OK and NOT ok to use those words?

Pretty much yall are lazy. and you want the league to baby your little ankle biters.
    But sorry, this is football, not baseball or basketball or eggball. we have chants. footy culture is all about insulting the away team at any given moment of chance, No matter the profanity(just no racism...seriously uncool). My parents didn't mind it when I was 8 years old at a Schalke game and I heard supporters section constantly shouting "fick dich, Munich!". They just told me to not mind the language. It also helped that my dad would smack me if he ever heard me cuss. even to this day I rarely say anything like that around my parents.

moral, learn how to be a parent and train your kid, don't rely on grown people to suppress themselves and have the league raise your kid because you paid "good money" to sit and eat a hotdog.

Just saying

/rant.

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  5. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol. FQK giving parenting advice.

6. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    But he comes in peace.

7. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And now I know how to avoid getting "anal hernias".

krudmonk repped this.
  8. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Gerber you ignorant slut, please refer to my avatar.....

bigdumbgod repped this.
  9. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Look I know you really didn't mean to say up there for me to "learn to be a parent." You couldn't really have meant that. So I'm going to ignore that part, even though I shouldn't.

Here's a point - they're aged 3-7. They don't say it already. And here's the other point, something I am trying to instill in my children. Just because somebody else is doing it doesn't make it right. In most circumstances, i.e. almost all, profanity is not ok. Words are important. Why should I take my children to a game where I know for certain they not only will hear words I don't want them to hear, but in context which is exciting, and alluring? Would it be a good thing if my five year old said "********" in her kindergarten class because she heard the Ultras doing it? She could just tell her teacher that it's ok because everyone says it. Do me a favor and think before you "rant."

"Grown people to suppress themselves"? Please. You act as if swearing is a part of everyone's moral fiber. "I am an Ultra and I must swear." The Ultras I know are more complete human beings than you suggest. My original point was that you can swear but be unfunny and you can not swear and be funny. The very best supporters chants are the witty ones. Most often, the witty ones don't include profanity.

Dan is the best Ultras leader in MLS. Full stop. The Ultras are the best in game supporters group in MLS. Full stop. I'd like to see them raise their game and be an example for all others in MLS and voluntarily end the repetitive and excessively profane chants, such as "and we ******** LA, seattle, chivas, whomever."

dcole, NedZ, QuietType and 3 others repped this.
  10. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry but for what I'm reading here, EVERY Ultras Chant has the "F" word ...and this is not the case ! :)

Also you have to take the words from whom they coming from, Garber refer to the last game against the scum in regular season, the one with the "groung breaking" event, the same game the some ACB members were arrested and thrown out from Buck Shaw. Is it there any word from Garber about this incident ? No, ask yourself why ? Just let that roll around your brain for a few minutes....

bsman repped this.
  11. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Maybe because they didn't see the ACB fights on national tv, or indeed, most of the stadium, and one can clearly hear the f-bombs in the stadium, and dare I say, national tv.

gveli001 repped this.
  12. Rick Kane

Rick Kane Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I agree with Colin. I am a huge fan of the ultras. I think the make the game day experience infinitely better. But, I also have three kids all under 7 and I also wish the ultras would choose to self censor.

We f*** LA is not funny or clever and it is not even particularly edgy.

And for those of you who are ripping on garner for commenting on this, you fail to even acknowledge the situation he is in. He is responsible for growing the league. No doubt he realizes that the ultras groups are a key component of driving that growth. He has stated this publicly. But he has many other constituents he needs to keep happy including the tv networks, the sponsors, and the non ultra fans many of whom are families.

This is one of the reasons that his comments have been relatively mild and he hasn't as of yet taken any heavy handed action. He is caught between a rock and a hard place.

dcole, NedZ, QuietType and 1 other person repped this.
  13. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Points well made. Though I use the F-word on occasion, I feel I have situational control of it. In other words, I don't use it among people who I feel may be offended by it. And I agree, the Ultras are the best supporters group in the league, and I don't think that having a couple songs with the f-word in them is what makes them the best.
    And as far as ripping Garber, for many Quakes fans it's just a reflex action.:)

NedZ repped this.
  14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Poor baby Gerber needs an ear plug! :rolleyes:

15. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Profanity, I think, is something you need to expect in professional sports. If it crosses on the line to vulgarity, then I think the stadium/league has a right to do something about it. Hopefully the two sides can meet in the middle, because both sides clearly need each other.

16. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't really care for Don Garber... so we'll just call it even.

17. futurequakekeeper

Feb 14, 2008
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

WOW YOUR CHILD IS 3 YEARS OLD?!

So is mine. Anyone want to hate on me being a parent now? good, I didn't think so.
    I never said ultras are not human beings. I just said, simply its professional sports, people cussing is NOTHING compared to what you get in other countries, so you know what? its a free speaking world in the U.S.A so get over it.

Your 7 year old son, trust me, he will be cussing sooner or later. and he will even say it to your face, and behind your back. get over it. suck it up, its the 21st century.

What is next for you guys? you can hear a professional athlete cussing on the field so you want him to be told to stop because your little bungalows hear it?

Take your kids to a liverpool, manchester united, chelsea, arsenal, roma, milan, schalke, munich, any other damn team outside of the U.S and listen to the words, it will make you feel like a saint.

It is a cuss word, once again. YOUR JOB as a parent to teach your kid when to and not to use it(though i don't condone that language outside of a stadium for anyone).
    If your kid uses that word, period. You give them a spank, your daddy did it to you and you turned out just fine, so don't gimme that "no violence" crap. then they will understand not to say it, even if other people say it. Why do you think Americans are considered some of the worst parents compared to others, you let kids walk all over you and make/want other people to deal with your child other than YOU.

Its a word, they will learn it eventually. P.S notice how in most other leagues you don't see 3 year olds in the stands too often?

Now. I do agree, that. The chant "f--- LA" is a little excessive, but its a rivalry, so I let it slide. Though if I am at a game, and i am drunk, i will cuss as loud as I want and if you turn to me and tell me you have kids, YOU will get cussed at. simple as that.
    Instead of feeding the child a hotdog, teach them to zone into the game so they don't hear anything around them. :)

Just ya know, my parenting tips, from my 3 year old to yours.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I just want to know exactly which professional sports league in the world doesn't have swearing on or off the pitch from players, fans coaches or whomever? Its beyond ludicrous and a dream to think profanity doesn't exist in sport.

19. Pcp Yoko

Pcp Yoko Member+

Jun 2, 2002
    Mid Peninsula
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Garber wants to reduce swearing he should improve the quality of referees. Horrible/amateur calls would reduce the need/urge to swear.
    The players skill level has greatly improved since 1996, but the refs are still 1996 level.
    Oh, and F*** L.A.

Beerking repped this.
  20. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drawing false equivalencies, I see.. Even assuming that's a defense of using profanity, there is an old adage which is true here.

dcole and ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So tell me this, who exactly doesn't ever swear?

22. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Profanity is just the scapegoat for Garber, there are bigger issues to be fix in the league like the refs

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah like the continual favoritism of some teams over others.

24. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NFL for sure is not it !

Nor NHL...

25. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No luck with he NBA either...

even NASCAR

MODS, please accept my most sincere apologies for all these videos, but they are relevant to the topic at hand, you can delete them or re-arrenge the thread title with an [ R ]