Don Garber said today that 3 of the 4 expansion franchises are "already spoken for."

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by carnifex2005, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    If I'm Don Garber I'm gonna wait on the Falcon's proposition (if it is one) to see how Orlando, Miami, San Antonio, Minnesota, Sacramento etc. work out.

I'm sure he'd prefer a team in a SSS and a city that is passionate about soccer.

Atlanta (unfortunately) has neither.

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minnesota would be the same as Atlanta.

Maybe just a better Stadium location.

redinthemorning and edwardgr repped this.
  3. MLS1FAN

MLS1FAN Member+

May 11, 2004
    Miami Beach,FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a member of "MLS Miami Bid" we also have a facebook page, on this page Tropocal Park is one of many sites locations being discussed for a possible MLS soccer stadium. But of all the locations being discussed, this site seems to be less problematic than other sites around Miami. But regardless of where the site is in Miami, it will be a uphill battle to get another stadium built in Miami-Dade after the Miami Marlins stadium deal fiasco with the city.

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    LOL if it does, otherwise LOL still. But come on, IT'S FUN! Good clean wholesome mindless nerdy time wasting fun but fun non the less.

7. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My 4 next teams ( my hope ) : San Diego, Phoenix , San Antonio and Miami.

8. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Unless they expand to 5-6 DPs, I don't see Miami being a real moneymaker. Will just reinforce MLS as a retirement league.

9. Indiscretion

Indiscretion Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barbieri repped this.
  10. skippybentley

skippybentley Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Any MLS team will have to play at Sun Life or Marlin's Park. There won't be another stadium built in Miami for at least a generation. You can thank Jeff Loria for that.

11. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean built with mostly public dollars I assume.

redinthemorning repped this.
  12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until a soccer stadium is built, the good money is on them playing at FIU Stadium.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. skippybentley

skippybentley Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #63 skippybentley, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    I mean period. Even if some ridiculously rich owner agrees to pay 100% of the land and construction costs, the people in Miami will still criticize it and the team won't get any tax breaks or incentives. You must understand, people in Miami feel very angry and hurt by the Marlins Park experience. They have no appetite for new stadium construction...no matter who pays for it. If you want a new SSS in Miami, come back in 25 years.

I am an Earthquakes supporter. We've been renting stadiums from local universities for years. It's not a great solution...even as an interim home. Garber has said that it isn't about having a SSS; its about owning your stadium and controlling the revenue sources. So, MLS is fine with Seattle and New England using NFL stadiums because these stadiums are "owned". The team gets to keep the parking revenue, and the concession revenue, and not pay rent, and can depreciate the stadium for tax purposes. MLS will be more than happy with Arthur Blank in Atlanta.

Want to own the MLS franchise in Miami? You better already own a stadium in Miami.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  14. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #64 Gamecock14, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    Of course.

Owners stopped building stadiums the day they realized that they can hold a city hostage over the sports team.

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    You can't get theyah from heah.

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only Ross owns a stadium in South Florida (SunLife). Although Claure, the real money behind Beckham's Miami idea, is on the board of trustees of FIU.

17. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm no roof, Miami spring-fall I have no idea why that could possibly be a bad idea.

Q Exp repped this.
  18. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That assumes MLS wants to start copying Bob Kraft's formula for irrelevance.

Atlanta is a terrible sports market to begin with (the Braves have the best record in the NL and they still don't draw), but the whole arrangement Blank is proposing reeks of the MLS 1996-2001 beta testing phase.

19. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #69 MM66, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    The Revs suffer from both a terrible location and an ownership that treats the team like an afterthought. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking otherwise. Brazil played Portugal at Gillette two nights ago. Bob Kraft presented Neymar with a personalized Patriots jersey.

Looks like the new Georgia Dome would be in a good location, but the red-headed stepchild arrangement doesn't work.

20. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is everyone here completely forgetting Detroit? If the Apostolopoulos family wins the bid to build the high-rises and SSS downtown it's game over. Detroit has the fanbase, ownership group, stadium plan, geographic location, and media market to succeed. The only thing that is even slightly in doubt is the corporate sponsorship since VW is a league sponsor.

Their economic situation is completely irrelevant. They do very well in attendance for all of their sports teams consistently. They're getting a team if they win this bid.

SYoshonis repped this.
  21. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not doubting you, but if the economy of the city is stalling that leaves less disposable income for soccer games. Just my 2 cents. It still may work though.

22. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Detroit's economic woes are more complicated than the media would lay out.

They are the prime example of the doughnut effect, or white flight. The poor never recovered from the recession and are the primary resident population of Metro Detroit.

On the other hand there are vast suburbs of affluent Michgonians(sic?) who are doing just fine. These are the people that go to Red Wings, Pistons, Tigers and Lions games.

Again, in the end its all about a potential owner. But if one turns up, the market in the Detroit CMA is more than enough to support a team.

redinthemorning and SYoshonis repped this.
  23. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That is because a lot of Detroit's money is in its wealthy suburbs

SYoshonis repped this.
  24. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
  25. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    San Diego has a team. It's called Club Tijuana.

redinthemorning and Gamecock14 repped this.