Wondolowski's future with the USMNT?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Scotty, Oct 29, 2012.

1. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wondo is fine, he'll get an opportunity.
    EJ will see some PT.
    Gomez and Altidore and Boyd will.
    Gordon might.
    Johansson won't.
    A very narrow pool.

2. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say Gold Cup 2013 he will play.

3. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Throw in Zusi, Donovan, Shea, and Dempsey- does Juergan have the skills to identify the best players, combinations, and lineups? Right now i have no faith that Juergan does. Its a much tougher job than Bradley ever had, as he had a relative stable crew of players.

4. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pretty much no one has faith in Jurgen. I love the right now and only if.

Look we get it he sucks hes terrible. so when we fail miserably your choice for manager can come to fruition.

I still think he can get results.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. I don't think Wondo has a role in a 4-3-3. I like what he brings to the table, and God knows I'm not reluctant to criticize JK's squad selections. But not this time.
    2. I think he has value in a 4-4-2 when we're going to be playing at home against a team desperate to get a 0-0 draw. The man knows how to finish.
    Actually, that was Buddy Ryan's way of getting rid of a guy with a cocaine problem without poisoning his future.

Marko72 repped this.
  6. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    formation has never mattered to Jurgen.

But even in a 4-4-2 wondo is just ok in the international game.

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    January call up is 2months away. Wondo has the best chance to use this to the fullest.

8. moytoy12

moytoy12 Member

Jun 20, 2008
    No.

9. Gooch_Onyewu

Gooch_Onyewu Member

Jan 30, 2008
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad there won't be a January.

10. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is my worry. Again, this is a much tougher job than Bob had. Juergan has about 5 or 6 realistic options for CB. Its tough to differentiate between the players at this point, but it is very likely that one or two of them have what it takes to succeed internationally, while the rest do not. I'm hoping to God someone in our program can tell the difference.

11. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wondo deserves to start in the 2013 Gold Cup if JK uses a 'B team'.

12. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if he does it will be a brief one. hes 30.

13. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    Wondo will be mls-good up until like 33 or 34. He's not an athletic type. He scores from nonsense because he's on one of the best teams.

But you're right, he wont have a long career. He's not Klose, he's not going to be international quality in a few years and I'd argue he's not right now.

14. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Overstating Juergen cynicism stopped being cool.

15. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    i can see wondo at best a 3rd or 4th forward

to me dempsey and altidore will be top 2..

after that it's a mixed bag, wondo is not a starter for me, try him at gold cup

16. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot can change regarding his nat'l team future depending on #1) how he plays in the rest of the playoffs and #2) if he goes to Europe in the winter transfer window. He has a polish grandparent so that would probably make it easier to get a work permit.

17. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    This year that may be true, but the past two years that has most definitely not been the case. He scored 18 goals in 2010 on a team that was at best average, and actually below average offensively. In 2011, the team was far below average and he still scored 16 goals and led the league. I understand the question about whether or not he is "International quality", but I really don't get the people who assert it as a fact that he is not. He's stepped up his play when he was given the chance to play regularly in MLS, and who's to say he wouldn't do the same if given some regular playing time with the National team?

I actually understand the argument that he doesn't really fit into the system that Klinnsman wants to play very well as a better reason for why he may not get much of a chance in the coming year. He plays best when paired with another forward, and particularly if that forward is a physical one (although he played well in 2010 without a "target forward" playing with him for the most part). But his game relies on reading the game and being in the right spot, reading his teammates and the ball and finding ways to get a little bit of space in the box. It's the kind of game that gets a lot better with more playing time and familiarity with the other players, and having the other players pass him the ball in good spaces. It's not as likely to shine through right away, he needs time to develop that understanding with the rest of the team.

He may or may not ever get much of a chance to develop that, but all of those who are so certain he could never do what he's doing in MLS at the International level are certainly jumping to conclusions.

manoa, blacksun and Foolishness repped this.
  18. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    "He scores from nonsense because he's on one of the best teams."

19. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    Fair enough.

20. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matching Lassiter's career caps number will be a longer shot than the season scoring record. Obviously, I say that knowing that he's already matched the scoring record, but I don't think Wondo ever gets close to Lassiter's caps number.

Unfortunate. He's a worthy player. But the stakes and competition for spots are too high for him to get a good run with the team......IMO of course.

21. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Well in the two biggest games of his MLS career he has been basically invisible so far.

He has 45 minutes to change that but so far... ...not impressive.

22. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Meanwhile Gordon comes in and the whole dynamic changes. JK was at the 1st game and he probably watched the 2nd. I would think he still has Gordon higher on his list than Wondo.

23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think LD/Keane showed the huge gulf between them and Wondo/Gordon. Quicker speed of thought, faster and more dangerous runs, constant link up play and threatening balls all game.

Wondo struggles to impact a game when he's not poaching. His linkup play and speed of runs are not near an LD/Keane level. He doesn't have the on the ball skill to create something. Tonight was a game where the international level players were the difference. Omar, an international level CB imo dominated Wondo/Lenhart/Gordon. That's the type of defender they'd see in the international game and they had zero answers tonight.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  24. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Wondo on three missed chances: "I let the team down"
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/11/08/wondo-three-missed-chances-i-let-team-down

25. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He lost composure on his chances and his technique went to crap.

A good striker never lets himself do that.