Does Landon have 2 more World Cups in him?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by RobtheAggie, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It is sexist. Whether it's universally accepted as "correct enough" right now does not detract from the fact.

Just like 50 years ago using "man" to mean "humankind" was common usage.

Some day soon, it will be unacceptable to use the male version of a competition in any sport as the generic version.

tab5g repped this.
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Landon is starting to sound quite confident on that he is going to Brazil, though. Just a few weeks back he wouldn't have said "more likely than not I will be used as a midfielder in some way."

So that means he feels quite confident now that he's on the list of 23.

tab5g repped this.
  3. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Seriously that's your response?

You're ignoring the link from where that quote comes from and every other quote on the page?

Talk about selectively quoting something...............

From that same link:

"The FIFA Women's World Cup 2011™ in Germany took the feminine side of the world’s most popular sport to a whole new level and will remain forever in the memory."

"Germany became the first team to successfully defend a women's world crown when they overcame Brazil in the final of China 2007."

"Now the FIFA Women's World Cup USA 2003 has finished, women's football fans are now turning their attention to the next global showpiece in 2007. And after one of the most thrilling women's tournaments in history, once-and-future hosts China PR will be hoping to repeat the success of this year's footballing festival."

"The final FIFA Women's World Cup of the century launched the beginning of a new era of success for women's football and was a milestone in the history of women's sports."

"Women's football celebrated its true coming of age in November of 1991 when the Women's World Championship was brought to life on the ambitious initiative of Dr. João Havelange, FIFA President at that time."

Honestly @tab5g I expect better from you.

4. Last Line of Defense

Jul 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon will be done after this World Cup. Just won't have it mentally after this one. In all honesty it will be quite sad seeing him in his last World Cup. Talk about a USMNT legend.

5. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    It looks like all of those addition quotes are talking about World Cups.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It will depend on the pool, too. He started playing professionally very young, so that is going to take its toll. On the other hand, I think Landon's humor is a very subtle brand of self-deprecation. That he says in four years he may be "barely walking" is, of course, a tongue-in-cheek reference to his age, to the fact that at 31 people treat him as if he were a very old, legendary character, someone expected to go away and die soon. Something like that.

I think he leaves the door open with the "may be." In case of need, he could do like Cuauhtémoc Blanco and come back at 36, for a last rescue-and-salvage operation. Which would mean things are not going well with the US program, probably.

DiscoWarrior11, USvsIRELAND and tab5g repped this.
  7. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    No it's not sexist.

One came first, one is worldwide known as "The World Cup"

Just like the NBA and the WNBA.

No one thinks that the Miami Heat and Minnesota Lynx won the NBA last year.

Miami Heat won the NBA.

Minnesota Lynx won the WNBA.

Please stop being a member of the PC Police.

Are we supposed to stop using "he" and "she" too? What about "him" and "her"??

8. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Nice job editing your post after I've already responded.

One is the FIFA World Cup. One is the FIFA Women's World Cup.

There are 19 FIFA World Cups.

There are 5 FIFA Women's World Cups.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    I'm glad the women won. They did great. I cheered when Brandi Chastain hit that penalty.

But they aren't FIFA World Cup champions. They are FIFA Women's World Cup champions.

9. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    FYP.

10. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Both have arrived.

Both are known as World Cups.

11. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    By adding the descriptor "Women's," FIFA isn't making it "not a World Cup."

12. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    By?

Please provide evidence for this claim?

This is simply not true. Go check FIFA's website, google, wikipedia, the dictionary.

You mention "World Cup" to someone and they're thinking about the FIFA World Cup.

Or the Rugby World Cup. Or maybe the Cricket World Cup.

The FIFA Women's World Cup is known as the Women's World Cup.

I guarantee you if you went out on a street with a video camera and asked everyone "what is the World Cup?" you'd die of starvation before someone mentioned the women's world cup.

13. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Yes it is. It is a Women's World Cup. A separate tournament. A separate trophy. It's different in every way.

Like I said before: NBA, WNBA.

Who won the NBA last year?

Miami Heat says everyone.

Minnesota Lynx says no one.

14. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    It would certainly depend on the street and the year. If it was a street in Montreal or Ottawa in 2015, I suspect your guarantee would be very wrong.

Fwiw, according to Wikipedia:

15. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    LOL. Maybe. But that would be extreme cherry picking.

Either way sorry to everyone for derailing the thread. It was mean of me to try remove @tab5g and others from their fantasyland where they believe USA is a 2-time world cup winner.

Like I said before, I wish I believed that.

But hey according to these nutters Landon can always play in his fifth world cup next year in Canada right?!?!?

I mean they're all the same...........

16. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Not sure of LD's plans, or FIFA's regulations on transgender players, but I would suggest it is not impossible for Donovan to file a one-time switch and play in his 5th senior World Cup in Canada in 2015.

ATLfirefan and USvsIRELAND repped this.
  17. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Only quoting this because you're straight out lying and misquoting wikipedia:

Then there is a huge list where FIFA Women's World Cup is listed among such well known events as the PBR World Cup (sounds fun!) and the Show Jumping World Cup.

18. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I bet you FIFA would list it as his first appearance though!;)

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #144 IndividualEleven, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    That would be s good transition for him at MLS level. The MLS equivalent I see him ultimately playing for the Nats(if continues on to '18 would be Kyle Beckerman's role at club and international level).

20. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    sure, when women's team sports draw the same amount of viewers and sell as many tickets as the men's equivalent, that might happen. since historically women's team sports don't draw, i don't see that happening.

as far as it being sexist to say the world cup refers to the mens only, i find that just silly. the world cup predates the women's world cup substantially. there was the world cup, then many decades later they introduced the women's world cup.

i imagine segregating women from competition is more sexist. as i alluded to earlier, i wouldn't have an issue removing the segregation. outspoken pro-women people don't want that though because by and large women can't compete with men in physical endeavors. i find it ironic you call the usage of a sports term denoting the mens version as sexist, yet don't seem to have any issue with the segregation of women in sports.

btw, "man" is still widely used to mean all of humanity and i don't hear anyone get ruffled about it. i'm not saying you don't see what you say you see, i'm just sharing my experience to let you know your example might not be as definitive as you think it is.

21. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's nothing he's said in this article or any other to suggest that you'll be right. But go on hoping. I would definitely bet a lot of money that 2014 will be his last WC. Not sure whether he'll retire straight away, maybe he'll do it after the Gold Cup or maybe as an overage player in the Olympics (if we make it).

22. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    #147 tab5g, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    You are misreading what you are quoting. See what Wikipedia returns when "2015 World Cup" is entered.

The year is important to the query and investigation. You have such a small and closed mind in this discussion.

23. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    A) you are not paying attention, then, and

B) it is great how the response to this (silly) claim was included in its own paragraph.

24. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    So your claim and logic is based on the "commonly referred" group versus the "also referred" group.

This whole discussion is about "also."

When someone notes that Lothar Matthaus and Antonio Carbajal each have 5 World Cup appearances, it is correct to note that Kristine Lilly also has 5 World Cup appearances.

To claim that Kristine Lilly has 0, as you do, is incredibly wrong, inaccurate and insulting to the player.

25. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    It is happening.

Here are two figures approximately representing the average attendances at FIFA's 1998 WC and FIFA's 1999 WWC.

37,300 and 43,500.

Guess which average attendance goes with which tournament.

Regardless, both events existed and both sold a good number of tickets as World Cup competitions.