Does anyone have globecast?

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Globalusation, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Globalusation

Globalusation New Member

May 17, 2006
    NY
    With Champion's League, EPL, and Euro '08 qualifiers on setanta it's impossible for me to be content with fsc and espn.

I don't want to hear "just get directv" responses. I was looking at globecasts web site and it looks kind of sketchy to me. After reading through everything I still didn't fully understand all of the costs.

So can anyone with this inform us what the startup cost was and any fees you had to pay?

2. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While it doesn't answer your questions directly, I suggest you go through this thread:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=57790

There are links about getting Globecast receivers cheap from eBay, from retailers like sadoun (instead of directly from Globecast) etc. I would suggest going through that thread completely to be aware of bunch of other issues, even though they may not be directly related to your questions above.

As far as installation costs are concerned, if you know how to do it yourself, you can minimize them. Otherwise pay the one time installation fee advertised on their website. That's it, no other hidden fees.

P.S. I did make a statement in that thread which said : I'll tell Globecast I would go to DirecTV instead due to competitive advantages. It was more of a negotiating talk. I have no intention to go to DirecTV at this time.

3. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005
    While referrals to threads providing multiple issues and alternatives is appreciated, my problem is getting overwhelmed by it all.(Postings mentioning different receiver models and capabilities unfortunately mean nothing to me). My aim is solely to be able to receive Setanta Sports, hopefully minimizing the hassle and expense in the equipment purchase and installation phases. I have eliminated DirecTV from consideration because I do not want to pay nearly $60/mo. for one station (I do not want 'HD-Lite', so I am sticking to my current provider for that programming). That leaves only Globecast. I would prefer to have a fiberglass dish on a pole mount behind my house, rather than install on my roof. I own a home DVD-recorder with hard disk that (hopefully) can be configured into the setup in lieu of a DVR. Can anyone out there suggest what they think is the easiest and cost-efficient procedure for getting setup? (Realizing that there are many alternatives)..Thanks.

4. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would suggest going through a list of various installers in your area from the following link:

http://www.globecastworldtv.com/installers.htm

What you're asking for doesn't sound like a big deal at all, and should be doable by an experienced installer. If you don't have luck with good installers from that list, you can look for "FTA satellite installers" in your area through various means - yellow pages or otherwise. Here is a starting point:

http://sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/Professional-Installation.htm

Be sure to find out that the installer does in fact have experience with FTA and/or GlobeCast installations. Ask them specifically how many such installations they've done, and if there are possible referrals from satisfied customers. You'll need to point to the IA5 bird which carries Globecast programming (including Setanta USA). It goes without saying that you (or the installer) will need to know precise calculation for azimuth and elevation for your location to point the dish at this bird.

5. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Thanks, Chandu, though I was also referring to what equipment to buy. If I was to buy euipment on an auction site, I wouldn't know one receiver from the other, and even if Globecast would 'accept' it. Does buying from Globecast get you a fiberglass dish (possibly the model with a pole mount) or do they send you a metal dish? Are you really saving by buying elsewhere if you still need to purchase the smartcard (which Globecast is charging $75 for). In the area of equipment, I was hoping someone could pinpoint what equipment to buy, and hopefully who to purchase it from...

6. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A metal dish

Sure, if you have done your research and are knowledgable about this topic. If you don't have the bandwidth or are just uncomfortable, just get it through Globecast, even if it may cost more.

http://www.sadoun.com

7. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005

All this info is good, except I don't understand the part about bandwidth...I understand it in the context of, for example, cable tv broadcasting capacity, but where does it come into play when buying a satellite system (is it the receiver?)

I know I want the fiberglass dish with pole mount, so I cannot purchase from Globecast, at least not entirely. Will a vendor like sadoun be able to sell me all items I need to get started including the smartcard? What receiver would you recommend?

8. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why you want a fiberglass Ku-band dish, I have no idea. I think you're confusing it with big C-band dishes, which used to be made with fiberglass. Even that is an older technology with many disadvantages. Even newer and newer C-band dishes are made of wiremesh or metal. You would have a hard time finding fiberglass Ku-band dishes. And even if you did find one, you would have to deal with its disadvantages. Such as fiberglass dishes hold more water than metal dishes, and considerable problem with rain-fades.

As far as what to purchase from sadoun, the exact link for that was included in the other thread I pointed you to. But you said you were getting overwhelmed with information. Anyway, here is the link again.

http://sadoun.com/Sat/Products/GlobeCast/GlobeCast-receiver-New.htm

As far as I know, the smartcard won't be included if you buy it this way. That's because sadoun doesn't know or care that you want only Setanta USA. (I could be wrong about this, and you can directly verify this with sadoun.) In any event, even if the smartcard is not included, you can get it by directly calling Globecast. It's not a big deal and there should be no extra charge for that.

9. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Chandu, here's where I get confused. I previously spoke to a satellite retailer and installer who was auctioning receivers on the internet, and asked him for recommendations. One thing he told me is to not get the Globecast metal dish, get the fiberglass one and possibly the 36" one instead of the 30". I was under the impression that the fiberglass was the preferred model.

Unfortunately,that is not so. Globecast charges you $75 for a Smartcard !(I had called them and asked when considering buying stuff off of ebay) That is why I wonder if saving on the hardware by buying elsewhere will be really worth it.

10. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry for the delay in replying. This had somehow gone off of my radar screen.

I have no idea why he recommended fiberglass over metal. Some preliminary research I've done states fiberglass dishes have more rain-fade problems than metal.

I completely agree with the recommendation for a 36" dish over 30" dish on the other hand.

If you buy a receiver off of eBay, I think you're correct about the extra charge. I still believe, there should be so such extra charge if you buy new from sadoun. Sadoun is an authorized retailer, and buying new from them should be equivalent to buying from GlobeCast. You're better off buying from GlobeCast (or a new GlobeCast brand receiver from sadoun, which is exactly equivalent).

Only money-saving deal you could find is: if someone is selling a GlobeCast receiver with smartcard already included in it. Even though the smartcard may not be specifically setup for Setanta, you would have to call GlobeCast and get it activated for no extra charge. I have no idea if any such deals are available, however.

There are couple of additional things I would like to add (not necessarily related to any questions in this thread so far):

Since the last activity in this thread, another internet TV provider ITVN has emerged which will also carry Setanta USA. Based on today's broadband bandwidths, I would expect the picture quality on GlobeCast to be far superior to that on ITVN.

In another thread, Oliver posted that Setnata has reached a special arrangement with DirecTV, whereby they could open up an extra channel in case of live match overflows/clashes. While this has not yet been confirmed, if it's true and there is no such arrangement for GlobeCast, this would be a slight advantage for DirecTV over GlobeCast.

11. Neutral Fan

Neutral Fan New Member

Dec 27, 2000
    Interview with Shane O'Rourke on EPL Talk

Here is an interview with Shane O'Rourke, the president of North American operations for Setanta Sports. He talks about Dish and other ways to get Setanta Sports. Here is the link http://epltalk.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=117046

Aaron

12. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    That I don't worry about. It's very trivial for Globecast to open up another channel on IA5 as the Setanta overflow channel. As a matter of fact, I think there are already multiple Setanta Sports USA channels on IA5, and I am not talking about the Setanta pub (Premium) channel. If you look at:

http://www.lyngsat.com/ia5.html

Transponder 9 (11898V) has a Setanta Sports USA, VPID=752, APID=703; while Transponder 15 (11991) has nother Setanta Sports USA, VPID=701, APID=257.

13. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great, thanks for the info.

14. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005
    I had my Globecast equipment installed yesterday and the picture looks great. Thanks, Chandu, for the information you provided me as I was deciding what to do.

I bought my equipment through Globecast, but there is another seller from Ohio, who was getting rid of 2000 Globecast receivers on eBay, a few at a time, who would sell you the SmartCard for an additional $25.

That seller is the one who recommended the fiberglass dish...when I subsequently called Globecast, they told me they send a fiberglass dish with their kit. I believe Andrews is the manufacturer.

I'm getting set to watch the Man Utd-Sevilla match at 9:30 on Setanta.

15. caaarlo

caaarlo New Member

Aug 9, 2006
    If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for installation? Thanks.

16. shanks909

shanks909 Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    The 11991 signal is the bars/clubs channel...It's only ever in-the-clear when one of the subscribing establishments is having equipment problems.

That said, Globecast has done an overflow before, so let's hope they do it for the EPL.

17. kstuart

kstuart Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Northern California
    Re: Interview with Shane O'Rourke on EPL Talk

Grrr... I hate audio interviews... I have to sit through 20/30/60 minutes of yammering when I could scan through a text interview in 30 seconds and find the information that I need...

18. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005
    I am sure it depends on where you live...I live in a "high cost" area (NJ in the NY metropolitan area) and it seems to average $150 ($125-175). I called several people off the Globecast list to find more than one had quit installations years ago, yet Globecast had not removed their name from the listings. I did find some that still do the installations and they were in that price range (although one local guy wanted $275!!! ouch).

19. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    In 1999, I had both DirecTV and Dish Network installed in my house. It cost me around $300. The good thing about that was two poles (just 1.5" pipes) were put up in my backyard to put the little round dishes on.

In 2000, I decided to installed an MPEG2/FTA system, with a 32" KU-band dish, for FTA. I had already took down the DirecTV 18" dish. So I put the 32" dish on the same pole. It took me < 5 minutes to get the signal from T5.

It's the same satellite that has Setanta Sports USA now. The bird is renamed IA5. So when I subbed to Setanta last year, I didn't even have to install any dish. I just used the same dish and LNBF.

As long as you know the azimuth and the elevation, pointing the dish is the easiest part. The most difficult part actually does not have anything to do with Globecast installation: putting a pole on the ground and plumb it, or drill holes on the wall if you want to install the dish at the side of your house, and run the cable from outside to inside.

Make it a Do-it-yourself project will save you a lot of money.

20. kstuart

kstuart Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Northern California
    I just wanted to give the following update for Forum or Google searchers about Globecast and/or Setanta.
    The situation has changed 180 degrees at Globecast since Neil's post.
    Globecast requires:
    - Globecast SE830 receiver (the current model). No earlier Globecast receivers (such as the aforementioned DE997) are allowed and Globecast will do nothing for you if buy one. They can be used as paperweights, doorstops, boat anchors or landfill.
    - Globecast requires the V2 smartcard (blue on front, V2 on back), and will probably charge you $75 to replace the earlier smartcard.
    Pictures of the SE830 and the V2 smartcard can be found in this thread:
    http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=74126

Unfortunately, when Globecast replaced the DE997 receivers and the earlier smartcards, they were too cheap to require the subscribers to send back the old equipment. As a result, there are hordes of Denebian slime molds who are selling the older receivers and older smartcards on ebay. Globecast does not have any information on their web site about the receiver and smartcard situations, with the result that many innocent people are being ripped off.

By the way, other scams I see on ebay, are people selling the current model SE830 receiver with either the old smartcard or with no smartcard. They will trumpet "Brand New Current Model" but either not mention the smartcard in the list of included features, or else will trumpt that it is included, but not mention that it is the old one.

PS Also note that I have talked to people who owned the DE997 and earlier Globecast receivers, and they are trash - with frequent problems like freezes - they are not even worth buying for $10 as FTA receivers.