Do you want Suarez at Arsenal?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by NorthBank, Jul 24, 2013.

?

Do you want Suarez at Arsenal?

1. Yes

47.2%
  2. No

52.8%
  1. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hes amazing, but lets not forget what hes done in the past

2. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am willing to bet that all is forgiven if not forgotten at Anfield. He is carrying this rather average team to the title.

3. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    Thats like asking "Do you want Arsenal to win a trophy?" Duh!

Serengeti_Boy, DutchCane and charlie15 repped this.
  4. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    well obviously I'd like to see Suarez at this club, but since we seem to lack depth at the end of every season and the fact that L'verpool will most likely ask 100m euros or even more for him, I don't think it's going to happen.

I'd rather spend 55-60m euros on 4-5 good players (note: good, not world-class) to strengthen the team and creat more depth and call it a day.

5. fari

fari Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Denver,CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

yes, i agree...invest in the spine of the team and perhaps a good rb if sagna leaves and we will definitely challenge next year

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't changed my mind one little bit. I'd rather finish 4th than have this cheater wear our shirt.

I could actually live with the occasional biting as that's just unbridled unpremeditated emotion. But the cheating is of course 100% planned. And up until now pretty much every match... with no real sign of going away.

That's not to say that i don't admire his striking prowess this season. Truly amazing.

daedalus and WoodDraw repped this.
  7. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wanted him. Biting and racism et al.

I knew he could score a shitload of goals, as he has done. Hopefully he can break Shearer's (,i.e. the second best ever PL striker, no Arsenal bias at all to say who is the first) season record.

DutchCane repped this.
  8. octavii

octavii Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sign him up!

9. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to know what the new contract says about Suarez re: release clause. Needless to say 40-something million won't do the job anymore, so if someone wants to stump 65 or something insane then I guess they can have him if LFC don't get back in the CL next year... that is, as long as they aren't in the EPL. Obviously he's sticking around through 2015 at the very least, though.

If I were an Arsenal fan that wanted Suarez I'd be more than a bit upset that he was probably there to be had for a fair price, but once again stinginess cost them their man. For those that don't want him, I only wish every other club in the entire world held the same standards as you do.

You can talk about the backline or the subs and I wouldn't necessarily argue, but to say "the team" is average without some kind of caveat suggests you haven't been paying very close attention. The first 11 is anything but average.

10. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #185 EruditeHobo, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    Hope you don't have an AOC kit! ;)

Honestly I don't think anyone defends diving (assuming that's what you're talking about?)... no one likes it. Everyone does it though; it's the game's problem not any one player's. If they wanted to do something about it they could, and rather easily. Until then people will take advantage of overzealous defenders to benefit their clubs. And it won't be pretty, whether it's Suarez, Sturridge, Gerrard, Ashley Young, Drogba in his heyday, Robben, Cazorla, Jenkinson, or Fabregas... because they are just taking advantage of the arbiters of the modern game who are susceptible to theatricality. Low risk, high reward.

DutchCane repped this.
  11. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That remains to be seen. ;)

12. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quick comment, not getting Suarez had nothing to do with stinginess. Arsenal matched his release clause and Liverpool, as John Henry himself mentioned a few weeks ago, refused to comply, as simple as that.
    I would concede that your first eleven may be above average as a whole, again thanks to Suarez, but they are definitely not world beaters either. Your back four, to start with, as you noted yourself, will not scare anyone.
    Anyway, more power to you guys, your team is clicking of all cylinders lately.

13. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the realities of the former clause are more complex than Henry let on, because I believe the thing was vetted by multiple sides was it not? If Suarez had taken them to court, as he wanted to at that point, he would have won were the clause "met". I think it was more involved that that. But I was actually referring to the refusal of Arsenal to mount a real bid in the face of the rejection of 40+1. Maybe I'm being naive but the sides (LFC & Suarez) were so far apart at that point in time that coming in near Suarez's value might have changed things.

I could be wrong, but like so many other close calls in the transfer market, not to mention having just witnessed an historic season, I can't help but wonder "what if"...

Don't think they are world beaters, believe me I'm not pegging a deep CL run next year or anything. In fact I expect a group of death and quick exit. But just saying, 88 goals in 32 matches is not something an average side with one extraordinary striker does in a top league.

14. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to speculate, I am merely referring to what John Henry said himself, yes, there was a clause. Why Suarez or AFC didn't push this matter further? I don't know.
    I aptly corrected in my last message that your team is above average and thanks to an extraordinary striker you may win the title. Again, good for your side.

darcgun and EruditeHobo repped this.
  15. WoodDraw

WoodDraw Member+

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll eat my shirt if he doesn't ******** off to Spain. He's caused trouble at every club he's been at. Why bother?

16. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    pretty much.

17. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Diving has to be punished by retrospective punishment where it hurts: players wallets. Start fining players two weeks wages for simulation, and that'll start to make a difference.

However, I would only agree if such an approach were also taken with violent conduct, with the fines being disproportionately larger for foul play. Diving is one thing. Trying to hurt other players is something else entirely.

18. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'll admit, I was wrong. With hindsight I would have been more open to Suarez playing for Arsenal. This isn't because I underestimated his playing ability, but overestimated the impact his on-field antics would have this season.

I was not against Suarez for ethical reasons: mainly, I didn't think he warranted the investment were he to continue to be suspended for stupid shit. This was clearly mistaken thinking.

But again, to clarify further, I also have less of a moral problem now with Suarez's shit than I did this time last year. I think it's overblown particularly in comparison to the off-field hijinks of our English boys.

HOWEVER. I have been proven right on just about every other transfer issue of last year. Gleeful. MAROUANE FELLAINI LOVERS STAND UP AND BE FCUKING COUNTED FOR THE FIRING LINE

WoodDraw, charlie15 and EruditeHobo repped this.
  19. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    [​IMG]

charlie15 repped this.
  20. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (i wanted Fellaini) :(

EruditeHobo repped this.
  21. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moyes could find a way to ******** up Thierry Henry's mojo.

That being said, Faillaini has been woeful.

22. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Guilty as charged here.....Jeez, this dude is a total waste of space. We totally dodged the bullet here. That is why I am not a football manager and just a bloke commenting on BS! :sneaky:

DaPrince84 and EruditeHobo repped this.
  23. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    I wanted Fellaini, though I saw downside risk at the time as well.

As it turned out, it's a closely related subject to one of my other hobbyhorses, David Moyes. Of all the things I've ever written here that's epater les bourgeois, the only one that I would change on hindsight is support for David Moyes as the next Arsenal manager. He's been woeful at United, and in particular what's happened at United can be a salutary experience for us to learn from before we have to deal with it ourselves.

Specifically, it wasn't just Fergie who left. It was also David Gill, the main assistant coaches (more or less fired by Moyes), and the fact that a big chunk of their key players were in or nearing the twilight of their careers at the same time. In this milieu, Moyes was not likely to succeed. Moyes excelled at Everton as a motivator and a man-manager. That hasn't materialized at United, because those players were not his. They had no particular relationship with Moyes before he was hired at United, and in many cases had significant reputations in their own right. Combined with the fact that the squad didn't like Moyes' training methods, the situation is not good there.

As it relates to Arsenal, I fear we're going to be dealing with similar issues when Wenger goes. Like United, I fear our organization is pretty much hollow as well (the thing we have in our favor is better depth in the squad imo). Therefore, even though I favor replacing Wenger, whether he stays or goes the key challenge for management is to rebuild the organization no matter who is manager.

As it pertains to Fellaini, I'd still take him here. In fact I think he'd be a much better acquisition this summer than he would have been last summer. The greatness of Fellaini is his dual-threat capability, something that is particularly ill-suited for United. If you're Everton and forced to use smoke and mirrors to generate offense, a guy who can crash the penalty area who can score goals, draw penalties and really can't be marked is hugely valuable. United have RVP and Rooney already, they need somebody to feed the beast, and that's emphatically not Fellaini. And, for the one position that he can play, they already have Carrick who may not be their best player but is probably the best situated in the whole squad.

Given the circumstances United bought Fellaini, and the poor year he's had there, I wonder if they'd let him go cheap. We have Arteta who's running out of gas and definitely need a replacement (plus Flamini only has one year left on his deal as well). There have been other options suggested of course (Pogba, Bender x2, Vidal) but none that we know for sure are available.

24. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    still a no for me. northbank said exactly what i am thinking and did it more succinctly than i can.

NorthBank repped this.
  25. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i'm one. :)

i didn't think he would have been as bad as he has been this year but i didn't think he was a match at united at all where i think he may have been a solid fit here. i don't know if he has the discipline and anticipation arteta has shown at that position - in protecting the back four - but i still don't feel like he'd be much worse than song or flamini there. (okay, that's not exactly a huge complement.)

hell, if he can be had for a reasonable price (sub-18?), i still wouldn't mind him coming over. unless wenger is willing to sign up somebody else (read: better) to understudy/split time with arteta.