Do you want Suarez at Arsenal?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by NorthBank, Jul 24, 2013.

?

Do you want Suarez at Arsenal?

1. Yes

47.2%
  2. No

52.8%
  1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal's reported bid for Luis Suarez, most recently raised to 40 million, has become the most divisive topic for supporters in years. It would be fascinating to know whether the majority want him or not.

This poll is a simple YES or NO. It's not about any nuances about the pricetag vs his value, or his skill vs his integrity. It's about whether you'd like to see him wear an Arsenal shirt or not.

p.s. Never started a poll thread before so hopefully I did this right.

2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    i voted no because he is a cnut, but if he wasn't, his ability is more than good enough

3. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Initially, NO.

But since the other options are not available (,i.e. Higuain, Cavani, Falcao, Rooney), then yes, so be it. Suarez has baggage, but not everything is a perfect situation.

4. BigEffingGooner

BigEffingGooner Member+

Apr 25, 2012
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    When we first were getting linked I was in a no camp, but I have come around (and this well before Higuain was off the table and done for Napoli - even moreso now that Higuain is an impossibility).

I think he is just the kind of player we need and are missing, I think he fills a number of roles for us, I think he is an outstanding talent and was probably the best player in the league last season, or at worst second to Bale.

We have had other bad people in our team before, we will again in the future (with or without Suarez). I think the racism bit is vastly overblown, there is some other very concerning behavior, but ultimately he is a world class player and would immediately vastly upgrade our squad and make us contenders for silverware. Hell yes, sign him up.

5. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not really keen on bringing in Suarez but I prefer that over nothing as I think that our offense needs something more to score against the top teams.

I don't really care about the racism claims or the biting other than it means he is missing 6 games this year.

6. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003

thanks for playing!

EruditeHobo and Fifty repped this.
  7. BigEffingGooner

BigEffingGooner Member+

Apr 25, 2012
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Only 5 league games, one will be a league cup match.

8. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    on balance of talent vs price vs baggage i'm going to have to vote "no".
    it's a pity, because i fought his corner on here for ages before he moved to liverpool and there's little actually wrong with his football, but you have to keep your dignity and also have to try not to put all your eggs in a flawed basket.

9. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Boondock

Boondock Member

Jul 21, 2010
    For those saying yes now that other striking options are no longer available:

Would you not rather spend the money on a DM, CB, GK, and CAM instead? Many would much rather strengthen those four areas with the money saved and play with Giroud/Walcott/Podolski rather than blow our load on some fcukhead and leave gaping holes in other areas of the team.

11. BigEffingGooner

BigEffingGooner Member+

Apr 25, 2012
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    CAM - I think that Santi, Rosicky, Ox is plenty good enough. Would I love to have Cesc back? Sure. But I think the three above slotted at CAM are superior quality-wise to our striker options.

DM - I think we still need. But if we have 70m to spend, dropping 40-45 on Suarez leaves plenty to address this area.

CB - Two months ago I was fine and didn't think twice about. I wouldn't mind someone brought in because of losing Vermaelen for 3 months or so now. But I wouldn't howl if we don't have any signings here.

GK - I still would like Ceasar brought in. Or someone better than Fabianski.

Now as crazy as this signing season has been, who knows what happens. Who knows what signings we actually complete. But Suarez dowsn't prevent anyone else from coming in. We could easily get something like:

Suarez 45m
    Gustavo 18m
    Ceasar 3m
    ((young cb)) ??

That would be under what our transfer kitty supposedly is.

12. Boondock

Boondock Member

Jul 21, 2010
    And hypothetically let's say its an either or question. Either you get Suarez or you get to spend 50ish mil on other areas. Which do you choose?

13. BigEffingGooner

BigEffingGooner Member+

Apr 25, 2012
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Either is a risky prop, but I go for Suarez. Why?

Because Shez is good enough as a keeper, we just need depth and someone to back him up. Because our CBs need depth only because of injury at the moment. CAM is good enough. DM/CM is rough with only Arteta, Ramsey and Willshire, but if the three of them stay healthy then it is better than what we have striker wise.

I actyaly like Giroud alot. But I don't think he is good enough as a cf to win titles for us. Poldi I love but he is not a cf, and I think somewhat struggles to find his true position in our formation and style of play. Walcott is inconsistent and is NOT a cf in our system of play.

Suarez adds multiple things to us. He has a creativity and flair that we lack somewhat outside of Santi. So he ticks that. He is a great forward who can play anywhere across the front three spots. He scores goals. He has the confidence and quality to put us over the top in tight games when we are struggling. He has technical quality.

Basically I think EITHER no Suarez or only Suarez is flawed, but I think no Suarez is more flawed.

14. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel Suarez is the type of player who Wenger can rehabilitate......just like the rapist RVP or the alcoholic Tony Adams. Suarez's competitiveness and culture might make him seem like an evil person in England, but he is just one of the many douche strikers out there. He is not a dumbass like Balottei; he will adapt and help us win silverwares the Arsenal way.

BigEffingGooner repped this.
  15. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    In a heartbeat because he's a top 5 striker talent.

ps. Also because if we don't sign him there aren't other top talents we can go for and then we'll be forced to only have YAYA or some other futuristic type talent.

16. RitztotheRubble

RitztotheRubble Member+

Apr 15, 2011
    guess it's time to sell cazorla.

DK021 repped this.
  17. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    if you are honest with yourself, you know how stupid that sounds.

this be damned....

18. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    After 30 votes, we're all tied up.

I voted yes.:whistling:

19. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I voted no. I couldn't care less about any character issues, or how he has conducted himself in the past. People often change when put into a new environment.

At this point, with 40m being forcefully rejected, I'd walk away. He is not worth more than 40m with no other club interested, and given our history with injuries, I'd rather not put all of our eggs in one basket.

I'd rather get 3 ~20m players, Cesar and any other second division up and comers on our radar, than Suarez and some Squillacis and Silvestres.

Swhchu10 repped this.
  20. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    This gets you 4th place.

21. Rojinegro1

Rojinegro1 Member+

Jun 26, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I never liked Suarez (personality-wise) and was reticent when we put in the initial bid but for reasons aptly stated by others in this thread I voted yes. His ability is of course undeniable, and I am warming more and more to this transfer. If we do get him I hope very much Wenger can knock some sense into him though.

Suarez, César, and a DM would be the baseline for a successful summer.

22. Boondock

Boondock Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Signing Fellaini, Bernard, Cesar, and CB cover gets us fourth place? You speak as if you know but really you don't. Quit taking the piss.

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far I'm not too surprised at the results. I figured it'd be close to 50/50. It seems to be the most devisive issue fans have faced in a long time.

24. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My only thing is the price tag. He isn't worth £40 million.

25. djdustn

djdustn Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Olympia, WA
    No

1. He's a diving, racist cnut.

2. The money could be better spent elsewhere to improve the squad. Spending 40m (minimum) on one player leaves us with how much to spend on other areas? And we didn't really have that much trouble scoring goals last season (72 in the league - 3rd in EPL ahead of Citeh and a few short of Chelsea). Just don't think he adds that much to the team for 40m. Seems like we've bemoaned our lack of quality depth in seasons past. Blowing half(?) our budget on one guy won't help that situation.

3. He further divides Arsenal fans, which isn't really what we need after the past few seasons. The Gazidis/Wenger summer spending spree seemed like it was aimed partially at uniting the fan base behind a strengthened squad. (All talk so far of course). But one player, and especially Suarez, is not the guy that makes this happen.

deaner1971 repped this.