Do you want MLS to become a top league?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Bonus_Game, Dec 20, 2012.

?

Do you want MLS to become a top league?

1. Yes

63 vote(s)
    79.7%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    20.3%
  1. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    There is no doubt that this league is positioned to be financially dynamic and will likely join a new group of global elite leagues along with England, Germany, Russia, Spain, France, Italy, Ukraine, Brazil, Mexico, Japan, South Korea and perhaps one day China. Does this mean our league will produce better players than a league like Holland or Uruguay? Probably not. What we will have though is an ability to retain more of our top talent and buy better international talent that those secondary leagues.

Since I think this is inevitable, I spend more time worrying about the composition of the league. Since our league is still in a process of innovation, invention and re invention I care more about the nuts and bolts of the league. I know it's a long shot, but I hope one day we start to eliminate some parts of single entity. I just don't want this league to turn into the soccer version of the NFL. Nor do I want this league to be the American version of the EPL. I think there is plenty of room in the middle between those 2 extremes where MLS can flourish as a truly unique entity.

Hachiko and Mucky repped this.
  2. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "A top league" yes. "THE top league", not necessary. However, able to compete with the guys at the top of Premiership, Bundesliga, and Italy, and Spain yes. Just to be competitive with them should be the real goal. Then it should become evident if there will be the money and support to spend the astronomical amount needed to be number one.

I think MLS is doing a great job of not stretching themselves thin and keeping the league stable and competitive league-wide, which is important to so many people.

3. christie3

christie3 Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Rising Sun, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want MLS to be talked about on a daily basis over here in the states. I could care less about whose mustache is better on Sportscenter in the morning.
    Someone said earlier they like seeing the local players grow and do well as they go over seas. And thinking about that now, I feel the same way. We will have teams that will go and be competitive in the CWC but i don't want MLS to end up over spending on the best players in the world. I like the intimacy of the league. The fans are close to the players and the players are close with the fans. The way it should be.

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Give MLS 50years and it will be the best league on the planet. The next 10-20years should be excitinf as we become the best league outside the top10 in Europe in talent,wages,competition.

5. Wazzu Gunner

Wazzu Gunner Member

Mar 21, 2008
    Ballard, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This, x eleventy billion.

6. Klogon

Klogon Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Basically, some people want to be soccer hipsters by supporting MLS when it's not cool and not mainstream to support MLS. Give me world-class soccer in the backyard any day of the week over that.

Oobers repped this.
  7. NYRBA1

NYRBA1 Member

Feb 4, 2011
    I voted no. I'd settle for a stable league full of passionate fans that live and die with their clubs, even if it's not the best standard. I'd like to at least have the mid-tier American players able to stay instead of going to FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN FC with a reindeer logo. It would be like the Brazilian league or Eredivisie. Our little secret.

8. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be in the minority, but i DO believe soccer is on the right track here in 'Murica.
    1. We have a league (Didn't have that for over a decade)
    2. The league is, for the most part, steadily growing (Attendance record for the 2nd straight year)
    3. 24x7 Soccer TV channels
    4. There is now a 24x7 soccer channel on SiriusXM

I guess I'm not as gloom and doom as Sepp Blatter when i look at the soccer landscape in the US.
    And even IF soccer was the most popular sport in the US we'd STILL be on BS bitching about something or another.
    Just my $0.02

9. AZUL GALAXY

AZUL GALAXY Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Based in wath ?
    in order for me to anwser the survey.
    top league on
    LEVEL OF PLAY ?
    ATTENDANCE ?
    SALARIES ?
    MORE TEAMS ?
    MORE SSS ?

10. UpstateFan

UpstateFan Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda mixed feelings on this. Of course i would like the league to grow in stature and be respected world-wide.

But i also know doing so would lead to ticket prices that are unreasonable, like the rest of the american pro sports landscape. One of my biggest draws to MLS is that i can actually afford to be a fan and go to games. My seats are decent, and the season tickets fit in my buget. Right now i would settle for Soccer Specific Stadiums and better attendance league-wide. I can live with the league not being top tier worldwide, but more overall attention locally in the US would make me much happier.

itcheyness and aztec21bas repped this.
  11. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to agree with the above post. I do not need MLS to be a top sport world-wide. I like the fact that i can afford to sit three rows form the field (and afford it). I like having some access to the players and staff. It would be nice if MLS received more attention in the sports media, but for now we are continuing to grow, and that is good enough for me!

12. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of MLS have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory.

I pity those that accept mediocrity.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you need to aim higher and stop accepting mediocrity in your posting then...

FlipsLikeAPancake repped this.
  14. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    doesnt change that we should aim higher. I am just one person.

It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of MLS have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory.

I pity those that accept mediocrity.

these words are golden. even if I am not. I am just an ad hominem attack for everyone.

doesnt change the fact that garber gets it. aim high. always aim high. to dare is to do.

15. Zxcv

Zxcv Member+

Feb 22, 2012
    I want MLS to fail, and for us to revert to promotion relegation in every city in America played on high school fields. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll get my wish, and much to my dismay MLS is going to become one of the biggest leagues in the world.

itcheyness and Klogon repped this.