Do You Think MLS Will Ever Pass One Of The Big 3 American Sports?

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by jquintero10, Jan 14, 2012.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over 20K average for the first 2 weeks, nice try, but this season will probably be better than last year.

2. DaisySibyl

DaisySibyl New Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Honestly, I do not think so. The only sport which it might be able to surpass would be hockey, but even that is very unlikely.
    flower wedding favors

3. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://www.lenscrafters.com/

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he only goes to Chivas USA and San Jose games (games played in their actual stadium) :p

5. jimmy2823

jimmy2823 Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well i have season tickets for the fire. the attendence is ok here, but when i see highlights from other games in mls.com the stadiums look pretty empty. like red bulls at columbus and revolution at dallas last week

6. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so in other words, you saw probably two of the three worst places in terms of attendance (well not sure about fc dallas, but columbus has pretty miserable attendance from i've heard)

7. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It can not happen now. Red Bulls have 24 players on their roster. There are only 10 American born on that team. They can't even field a team of 11 players with all American born on it. When I first noticed this I said that can't be right? I was going to go to last nights game, but changed my mind after noticing that.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Baseball going the same way?

You must also hate Hockey with all them Canadians in the teams.

I think the Blackhawks have 2 Americans in the team.

9. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a team in north London called Arsenal that a few years ago fielded a starting 11 with precisely zero English players. Somehow, I think the sport is still sort of popular over there, don't you think?

10. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Really, no quotas? In Italy there was a quota of the number of none Italians allowed. Maybe that has changed as well.

11. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a different situation. There was a time when the NASL required 2 Americans on the field. Today, American baseball fans seem OK with teams fielding lots of Carribean players. And soccer fans are more more sophistcated today then we were in the 1970s.

Soccer will never pass any of the Big 3, though never is a long time. Still who cares. In a country as big as ours, being 4th or 5th is still a big deal.

Hockey is a Canadian plot to destroy America

12. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not as long as the entry salary is 42k.

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Serie "A" must not have a quota either because Inter Milan often fielded starting XI's that had 0 Italians in them the past few years.

14. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Italy at one time had resturctive rules against foreigners playing in their league. Those rules softened over time, but the real softening is that under EU laws, citizens of one member state are permitted to work in other members states without restriction (though I think with recent members, they have negotiated phase ins, so not everyone immediately moves to London or Paris). So even if the country has quotas, they cannot apply them to EU (and also EEA I think) citizens. So a German player can play in France without being considered a foreign player. Becuase they are all one happy European family.

The Euros can and in many cases try to limit non-EU players. There had been limits in some countries, such as Germany or Italy and the UK on non-EU players on the field at one time. I think it had been 4 -- but the rules were so ridden with holes that I doubt they are honored anymore. Italy for example has relatively easy rules allowing descendents of Italian expats to get an Italian passport. They do for non-football reasons -- the Italians are not having children and frankly to pay for the welfare state need immigrants to come there. Politically it is easier to claim they are allowing the Italian diaspora to return home, but it is silly -- at least I have 4 Italian grandparents if I wanted to claim the status (which by a strange quirk in Italian citizenship law, I cannot). A decade or so ago, these South Americn players were showing up in Italy with a passport claim which basically was that they once knew some guy named Giuseppe

Not sure what the rules are now -- it seems that there are no real rules, so long as the player can get a work permit.

15. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah this pretty much sums it up... unfortunately the MLS won't get more popular until they get better players (among lots of other things), and to get better players they need to generate more revenue so they can offer higher salaries. And to generate more revenue the league needs to get more popular. So yeah its a pretty vicious circle right now.

16. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was sort of my point, though--how is the presence of foreign talent in the domestic league a sign that the league can NOT be more popular? I would think quite the opposite.

Truth.

17. revolution1776

Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question was will "MLS ever pass one of he big 3" If were talking about soccer in general IMHO it already is in the top 3.
    For example when Celtic came to boston last year they sold out Fenway in 12 minutes. Then there is all the Mexicans and central Americans it would be hard to measure the popularity against other sports. It's something you cant measure with only t.v ratings.

18. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry i dont see how is that valid, Tv ratings do mean alot and alot of events can have alot of people, soccer isnt consistent in north america, inparticular, here in the uS where alot of americans dont follow it alot, there are many other major sports happenning.

19. ShevaDani

ShevaDani Member

Jul 14, 2009
    MIGHTY EUROPE:D
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    the fact that espn and espn2 will broadcast man city-man utd,helps the growt of soccer in USA.

20. Racomando

Racomando Member

Celtic and Rangers
    Jun 27, 2011
    The World
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    Tonga
    yes..."lots" is not the same as "majority of the team." besides the only Caribbean export nations are Cuba and the Dominican Republic. "South American players" would have been a better example. More players have origins in Panama-Columbia-Venezeuela.

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then look at Hockey.

What % of all NHL players do you think are American?

Do you think Hockey fans care?

22. Racomando

Racomando Member

Celtic and Rangers
    Jun 27, 2011
    The World
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    Tonga

Yeah that's what I'm saying. I don't think Americans really care whose playing. I was saying, foreign players don't hold the majority in any one baseball team like they do in European soccer clubs. It's not as prevalent. BUT...If one baseball team DID happen to field majority foreign born players...it wouldn't matter.

23. sav19

sav19 Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Ya know, i have a lot of friends who don't follow soccer at all, and don't know much about it. But they love watching the world cup, maybe it's the way it's advertised, the nature of the tournament and the high level of competition, or a combination. im not sure. i could definitely see soccer passing baseball, given that baseball is like 3 hrs of standing with the ball actually in play for about 8 minutes., but i just dont see MLS as competitive enough to make it grow. Although it is on its way with the talent on teams like NY and LA.

i think the thing is that when we sign big players like henry and pretty much everyone but david beckham, the people that are interested are soccer fans, so it makes he league better but doesnt necessarily make it grow. I think C Ronaldo could be a difference maker in the league though, like the next david beckham.

24. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Panama isn't South America. And Puerto Rico, although reducing the amount, is still a Caribbean exporter.

25. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    And is colombia...no columbia