Do You Prefer Landon Donovan At Left Midfield Or Forward?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by DaveBrett, Apr 12, 2014.

1. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    Where do you think he is more effective? I say he is more effective at the forward position.

Dave

2. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither.

Prefer him at RW above all else.

Jond

3. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    forward or on the right side.

4. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither; he should be on the right.

Auto

5. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    Guys, Graham Zusi has locked down the right midfield slot. So if Donovan plays, it's either at left wing, where he is comfortable, or forward, where he is a little better.

6. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I thought I was opening a bumped thread from 5 years ago. Or 10 years ago. ;)

Although Donovan has slowed in the last couple of years, he is still perhaps the US's best second striker, best right mid, and best left mid. It's not as definitive as in the past, but he's still got game and he is so smart and experienced that any of those 3 roles suit him.

So, I'll give basically the same answer as I did years ago. It depends on how you want to use Dempsey.

Dempsey's best role, in my mind, has always been as the floating second striker. I want Dempsey finding spaces in the box, not running up and down the flanks or pretending to be a CAM. So, if Dempsey is in good form and playing, then he starts at SS and Donovan plays LM or RM. If Dempsey is out of the lineup for whatever reason, then I'd play Donovan as the second striker.

Donovan is probably slightly more effective at RM than LM, but I don't think it matters too much. Plus, the LM and RM do swap occasionally during games. Since Zusi/Bedoya are better on the right than the left, I'd line Donovan up at LM most of the time. (And I'm firmly in the camp that wants Fabian Johnson at LB, or even RB to solidify the dodgy back line, rather than pushing FJ to LM)

One thing JK is going to have to handle wisely is the number of minutes Dempsey and Donovan accumulate. I just don't think either guy should be going 3 consecutive 90s during the World Cup. Klinsi should look for opportunities to sub either or both out late in a game or two, or maybe even not starting each in one of the 3 group games.

Konut, Berks, jaxonmills and 1 other person repped this.
  7. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, or CAM (where he was usually used in the Gold Cup). Those are places where we best can use his strengths of crossing, picking out multiple options to pass to, and work rate.

Left mid and ss are both down the list of positions where he should be utilized. On the left he typically has to cut back for crosses, allowing the moment to pass. And at 2nd striker he's arguably not clinical enough, and not a good mix w/ Dempsey in terms of target play and aerially.

I disagree. Zusi, while he tries hard, leaves us with inadequate cover on the wing because he's too slow and has some questionable defender instincts. Case in point was that senseless header over the end-line which led to a goal on the subsequent corner. And he's regularly not deep enough. He's a bad fit ahead of Evans, if we are going to use him. And offensively, his speed, or lack there of, doesn't allow us to exploit a high line or just feed him for many crosses off the dribble. He seldom gets a cross in. He's got a lot of weaknesses at that position. He's adequate, but we can do a lot better, like Donovan.

Zusi is a better option next to Bradley in the center where he can use his deft in close passing and long distance shooting. That wouldn't make him a regular starter, but he's not progressed to the point where he's a must play yet anyways. I could see a Feilhaber-esque or better effect from him off the bench or as a spot starter in the next Cup if he's used in the way I suggest.

8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Don't quite get the Zusi doesn't offer adequate cover meme. The only relatively recent match in which he's gotten burned was against Costa Rica and Bryan Oviedo, an issue easily rectified by setting a lower starting block. If cover on the right were the overwhelming concern then Bedoya would be the logical choice there with Zusi moving to the left.

Realistically Zusi is too productive not to be starting on an already limited team.

Best position for Donovan would be at striker. His acceleration and anticipation are still top class though the pace has diminished. None of the other candidates is exactly shining at the moment.

9. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Central attacking mid, with a speedy forward playing in front of him.

The thing about the USMNT fr so long is that we never had anyone that could play wide to any degree at an acceptable level(even in CONCACAF), until Zusi. Zusi stays wide and sends in good crosses but is not weak possession wise and can pop up with a goal or two. People worry about Zusi's speed on the wing but he is quick enough over 10 yards to create space for cross and that is all that is needed.

Donovan will probably be coming off the bench this WC. A guy like Zusi or someone like Bedoya who can put in workmen, Kuyt-type performance at RM are probably preferable at this point.

At this point I think Donovan needs someone to do the running for him as well when he is in midfield. An EJ, or Shea would pair nicely with him.

10. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Didn't Zusi sit the bench behind Alejandro Bedoya in the last matches that counted for the US?

11. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    No, the last match that counted for the USA was down in Panama, and Zusi scored.

12. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
  13. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. BuffaloTF

BuffaloTF Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    On the field... In 2002 they played multiple formations... And Landon was on the left wing for some. It inverts him and gives him a better attacking start... He also was used on the left on occasion in Everton, which really was a string of absolutely incredible play for him. Strengthen the team at all positions. Landon will be fine out left if Zusi makes for a stronger team on the right than whoever would be next in line on the left if Landon was in that spot instead.

15. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As of now, Left Mid. No, it's not his "Natural" position, but right now, the US is thin at LM and could use Landon. Bedoya and Zusi make for good right sided players, so, the USMNT loses a lot, for example, in a 4-4-2 where the RW is Donovan and the LW is Shea or Green and Zusi/Bedoya sit on the bench. I'd rather Landon start at LW and, much like his go at Everton, strengthens the team overall.

I also agree with IndividualEleven and I don't see how Zusi is a burden defensively. That said, I like Donovan playing with Bedoya, as the two can switch sides when need be, to change up the runs. I have never seen Zusi play on the left, personally. If we go in a 4-4-2, I like Donovan left and Zusi right, while in a 4-2-3-1, I prefer Donovan left, Bedoya Right and AJ/Dempsey CAM. That way, the three players could swap positions at will depending on the looks from the defense.

16. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Zusi started over Bedoya in the Costa Rica debacle.
    Bedoya started over Zusi in the decisive Mexico match and the Jamaica match in KC.
    They both started in Panama.

Looks like it leans Bedoya's way to me.

17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    On match makes it Bedoya? Ok.

There's still a vacancy for the starting left mid spot but I'd rather see LD at striker. Last time he played the position in MLS he scored 20 goals in 25 games.

18. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zusi plays on the left for SKC sometimes. He's actually can cross with his left foot decently and cut inside. We haven't seen it with the national team yet.

19. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It amuses me the number of posters that are sure that Zusi has the RW spot locked, and the number that are convinced that Bedoya is ahead of him. It seems obvious to me that we just don't know and can't really infer who is ahead. And yeah, it still remains possible that both are on the bench if Klinsmann decides to go with Fabian and Donovan as his wingers. Personally I hope that Fabian is in defense and that Bedoya and Zusi are platooned on the right while Donovan plays on the left.

Wessoman, schrutebuck and Mr Martin repped this.
  20. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Yeah, my point is intentionally deceptive. I was just surprised there was somebody arguing Zusi has a spot in the starting XI "locked down". Neither he nor Bedoya are in the category of guys that probably do (Bradley, Dempsey, F. Johnson, Cameron, Howard, Jones) and probably should (Donovan).

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Based on productivity Zusi is a starter in the team. I'm not sure of others' reasoning. Donovan to wide midfield has gone with the knee. Klinsmann was going to start him him up top against Mexico.

22. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, so I have heard, but I haven't seen it personally. But the fact that he can actually cross well from the left is promising, especially considering...

I am afraid you are correct. As much as I would love to start Donovan and Zusi, if Donovan doesn't recover form, and soon, he's an off the bench situational player.

Personally speaking, I like Bedoya and I have seen three broadcasts of him playing with Nantes, and he's looked solid every match, in addition to his play for the National Team.

Correct--While I think that Donovan, Bedoya and Zusi ALL make the 23, we really cannot say who the starters are with any certainty. We are simply going to have to wait for the send-off series to know that.

23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Love Ale's energy, technique, and all field tactical nous. all three could start together really.

24. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the things I;'ve seen recently is a significant amount of interchange in the three of the 4-2-3-1 from side to side and from central to flank. The three seem to be told to swap liberally, which puts the back four under pressure to mark a man and not chase a specific player, but it also allows for our attackers to find their best "fit" against the opposition back line. It requires that we have players who are able to attack from either flank or centrally, which I think we have in players like LD, Clint, Zusi, FJ and Bedoya. I think it doesn't really matter how they start the game, they'll be all over the attacking third throughout the game.

25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The funny thing about Bedoya v Zusi is that they are almost identical in their strengths and weaknesses and the position they play. Having said that, we could make their similarity a strength by subbing one for the other and have them run up and down b2b all day while using Fabian to go wide on the right side. As for Donovan, I dont see him as being in shape for Brazil and I would play Powers in the linking role instead because he can play offence, defence and positioning while letting guys like Dempsey, Aron, Zusi(Bedoya) and Bradley score the goals.

Klinsi never did develop a suitable alternative to Donovan so I guess he will play Donovan and blame Germany, Ghana and Portugal while spinning 2018.