Do MLS Uniforms Need A Change?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Beckhamcpt07, Aug 29, 2002.

1. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    Do MLS Uniforms Need A Change?

There's something unique about how the euro clubs do their commercial thing. Like you said, we aren't used to it in the states. Remember the huge flap a few years back when the purity of the Penn State football uniforms was "contaminated" (some said) with the Nike swoosh?

I'd say that the ideal case is no sponsor logos, even if it's a firm you happen to like. For example, I read where Audi is now a title sponsor for Bayern this season. Although I haven't seen it yet, I'm guessing there's the four rings across the chest of the Bayern uniform this season. I happen to like Audi (even more so if I could afford that S4) and have followed them @ LeMans the last three years and have gone to see them @ Sebring the last two years. So it's fine with me that they're going to show up on the uniform of one of my favorite soccer clubs.

Perhaps that the distinction: one of the several things that turns me off about Nascar/Winston Cup is all the crass hyper-commercial noise going on. Sponsorship is a great thing, but I would have a hard time pulling for a favorite driver or car team if they were driving around with Charmin toilet paper plastered (figuratively speaking) across the hood, or preparation H painted (ditto) across the trunk lid. Maybe in that argument is another distinction: in Formula One, Ferrari and McLaren are sponsored by everything from copy machines to cigarettes to batteries. But the level of competition is still quite pure compared to our American sports that are more driven by the drama-quotient or the quality of the tv show they put on. So it seems easier to ignore that Newcastle United has a telcom sponsor, or that Ferrari has a delivery service sponsor, because I'm watching the team in their league of their sport and not being bombarded by the blathering sports press we have in the US. I don't even mind, much, the Mastercard logos on DC's shirts, but that's because I want to see Moreno (when he plays), Convey, Etcheverry, and Rimando play well so I don't notice much of the other stuff that seems sort of superfluous.

But it is a complex debate, I think.