Do atheists hope they are wrong?

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by Fanaddict, Feb 29, 2012.

?

Do atheists hope they are wrong and there is a heaven?

Poll closed Mar 30, 2012.
  1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do atheists hope they are wrong and there is a heaven or afterlife?

2. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  3. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What? That there is a sadistic creator that has no problem with the vast majority of humans burning in hell for eternity.....hmmmmm, let me think.

Or are you creating some alternative where there is an afterlife of bliss for all, not rooted in any of the current religions?

4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do understand the longing for some sort of afterlife. A dear friend of mine took her own life last week; the grief was almost overwhelming at first. One reason why it was so hard to handle the news was because I never got to say "Goodbye" and I am left wondering if she knew how much I truly cared about her.

It WOULD be a comfort to think that she's 'up there' and that she can see/hear me; to believe that she somehow knows how terribly I miss her.

So...in that limited regard...yeah, it would be nice. But that's not the "afterlife" I'd been taught about. The sitting-at-the-right-hand-of-God/going to the "bad" place if you don't believe the "right" things--I'm VERY happy not to believe any of that crap. No thanks.

1 person likes this.
  5. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm an atheist because I believe the facts I have been exposed to here on earth do not translate to there being a god.

That said, at times, I have wished that there was some sort of "psychologist in the sky" that would "debrief" me after my life was complete. We'd talk about the good and the bad. What I could have done better to avoid the things I don't like about myself, etc.

It's a neat thing to want, but there's no reason I can think of to believe that, or any, god figure exists. Or, for that matter reincarnation, which would provide us,maybe, with a way to have a second chance at life, and at the decisions that need to me made in life.

I accept there is likely no afterlife. As a result, I try hard to make this life acceptable, for me and those that need to deal with me.

6. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Screw that, I want to know the really important stuff. Like what's the deal with Bigfoot/Loch Ness Monster/D.B. Cooper, is there or has there been alien involvement on planet earth, what exactly happened with the Kennedy assasination....I'd much rather get a download of life's ridiculous mysteries than hash over my own personal drama.

7. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As echoed above, I can't imagine many atheists wouldn't think it'd be nice if people went to heaven when they died, and were happy and lived with their loved ones for enternity etc.

I can imagine a fair few on their death bed hoping they are wrong and they won't just cease to be any moment now.

Beyond that, not really.

8. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, but you have to explain what heaven is and how it works before I can answer whether I hope that it exists.

9. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I could then I would be god.

10. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    i am an athiest and i masturbate nightly to the idea of valhalla, and being taken from behind by thor, odin, loki, loge and all manner of oiled up scandanavians. furthermore , heaven does exist, and its based in farringdon. http://www.heavennightclub-london.com/

11. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    only if I could get in

12. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    If you mean the Christian heaven and its maniacal leader, then no, I don't hope I'm wrong.

13. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

The only regret I have is that it is very, very, very, very...infinitely unlikely that I'll know the true nature of the universe and our existence. Where it came from, how it got there, what it will become, how can it be either forever and always or finite in duration?

These are the only questions I'd really like to be answered before I die.

Oh well.

1 person likes this.
  14. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to a poll cited in Robert Putnam's book "American Grace", more Americans belief in heaven than believe in an afterlife.

I'm not sure how that's possible, but maybe the difference is made up of atheists who wants to believe in heaven.

15. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ?!

I thought heaven was an afterlife.

16. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe there are a lot of really stupid people who think "the afterlife" sounds just a little too non-denominational for their taste so skipped it in favor or the unambiguous (for them) "heaven".

Or, more generously, maybe the difference is people who believe heaven is a place on earth. Kumbaya.

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I think its more likely the difference is made up by illiterate believers.

Anyway, I guess I do hope I'm wrong. Because even if I'm wrong, everybody else will still be wrong so I have no reason to fear what many religions predict my after-death experience will be like.

18. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Such an alternative would make more sense. I think if indeed there is some sort of afterlife, it is much more likely that it would be something we all end up being a part of based on our nature, rather than something that some people will inherit exclusively and others will not based on some human sense of justice or grace or belief.

19. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Or maybe some who believe Christ is coming during their lifetime so they will continue living without an afterlife. :D

20. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Okay, sign me up:D..

..wait. Do I get my 72 virgins as well?

21. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to find out that our consciousness continues after death, especially if it means being reunited with loved ones who've passed, and/or increasing our understanding of the universe, and/or a state of bliss.

At the same time, I have no interest in "heaven" in any way it has ever been presented to me. First and foremost, as others have said, I'd be disappointed to find out that indeed there's a system of eternal reward & punishment based on earthly faith or even earthly choices & behavior. That would suck. But even if heaven is a place everyone gets to, I do not find the concept of eternal bliss appealing. In fact, it's an oxymoron, a nonsensical idea. You can't have pleasure without lack of pleasure to define it. Perfect, eternal bliss is as meaningless as not existing. So I would not be particularly pleased to find out that after we die we experience an eternity of sameness.

22. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I understand what you mean, but surely by it's very definition you would neither have feelings of meaninglessness or displeasure....once experiencing such bliss.:p

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Eternal bliss is an oxymoron, but you have to put yourself in the shoes of the people that fueled the wide-spread belief of heaven. I mean just knowing you'll have a bed to sleep on every night in a climate controlled environment for the rest of your life instead of sleeping next to a flowing stream of raw sewage under a tarp is probably good enough to qualify as "eternal bliss" by some.

In general, a developed nation on Earth in 2012 AD probably looks like heaven compared to Earth in the year when the idea of a heaven was constructed.

24. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    i mixed k and shrooms once and i think i pretty much severed any connection from mind to body for a good few hours. it wasnt a pleasant experience by any means but it has left me ever so slightly more open to the idea of a different place where our conciousness resides, though i am still convinced there is no such thing beyond the physical.

25. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Depends. Are you a virgin yourself?