Do any NAIA players make it to the MLS?

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by ava0001, Jul 7, 2005.

1. ava0001

ava0001 New Member

May 9, 2005
    Do any NAIA players make it to the MLS?

2. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Orlando Ramirez

Michael Ritch, former Crew forward

Tyrone Marshall played NAIA before going to Florida International

3. seadonkey

seadonkey Member

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Diego Gutierrez (sp?) played at Rockhurst in KC

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Several NAIA players follow the Tyrone Marshall route and start out at an NAIA school and transfer to a D-I program.

Costal Carolina has gotten several players from NAIA power Lindsey Wilson including the LA Galaxy's Mubarike Chisoni.

Real Salt Lake's Dipsy Selowane started at Harris-Stowe, an NAIA school (I think they have since-switched to D-II) and then spent a seaon at Saint Louis before going pro.

(A player I would expect to see in MLS next year who is currently at a D-I school but started out in the NAIA is VCU's Left mid/back Stephen Shirley, who started off at Mobile.)

Besides Diego Guttierez (who went the opposite of the Marshall route and started at D-I Evansville) and Orlando Ramirez, cuurent MLS players from NAIA schools include:

*Stephen Herdsman of the Crew played at NAIA school Cornerstone College.

*Connally Edozien of the Revolution played at Embry-Riddle.

*Chivas USA's Jesus Ochoa played at California Baptist College at CUSA developmental player Milton Blanco played with the aforementioned Ramirez at Fresno Pacific.

Mexican international Carlos Ochoa, no realtion to Jesus, played at Azusa Pacific and Brent Goulet (now coaching in the German third division), the former US international - and US Soccer's player of the year way back in 1987 - played at NAIA Warner Pacific.

The aforementioned Michael Ritch is one of many former MLS players who played at NAIA schools.

MLS journeyman and Ugandan international Tenywa Bonesu played at Martin Methodist.

Former DC United hero - he started the 96 MLS Cup comeback - Shawn Medved played at Evergreen.

Former MLS hardman (and South African international) Ivan McKinley played at Boca Raton (which is now Lynn University and plays NCAA D-II ball).

Ex-Mutiny player Derek Backman also played at Boca Raton.

Speaking of Lynn, that's where former Rapid Neathan Gibson palyed before the school went D-II

Former Mutiny player (and T&T international) Craig Demmin played NAIA ball at Bellhaven.

Former MLS Rookie of the Year Rodrigo Faria played at NAIA Concordia (NY).

Former Clash GK Dave Salzwedel played at NAIA California Lutheran.

Ex-Burn and T&T international Brian Haynes (now an FC Dallas assistant) played at NAIA Erskine.

Ex-Burn and T&T international Mickey Trotman (RIP!) played at NAIA Mobile.

Ex-Crew player Dominic Schell also played at Mobile.

I'm sure there are others I've forgotten. So, yeah, you can make it to MLS fron an NAIA school.

For the most part, the NAIA players in MLS are foreign, though there are obviously plenty of exceptions. And since most NAIA players are a little older than NCAA college players, they are usually too old for transitional international and developmental roster spots on MLS rosters and that makes it harder for them to stick. But, obviously, there are plenty of players who sitll manage to do so.

A lot of NAIA players come from Africa: Bonesu (Uganda), Gibson, Backman and McKinley (South Africa), Chisoni (Zimbabwe), Selowane (Botswana), Edozien (Nigeria via London). Several more from the Caribbean and Latin America: Haynes, Trotman and Demmn (T&T), Marshall and Herdsman (both Jamaica via Florida), J. and C. Ochoa (Mexico via California), Faria (Brazil), Guttierez (Colombia via Missouri).

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  5. ava0001

ava0001 New Member

May 9, 2005
    Wow thanks for the info...

6. jefflebowski16

Feb 9, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i don't know if he's still in mls, but dipsy selolwane played for the chicago fire after three years in the naia with harris stowe. he transferred to slu for his senior year.

7. Rockhillman

Rockhillman New Member

May 9, 2004
    South Carolina
    if you play for lindsey wilson you have a chance, if not a little slimmer. or at least thats how it was in the past.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    What Lindsey Wilson player has gone straight to MLS?

By my count, the ones from LW who made it to MLS had to go to a D-I school firsrt.

9. hattrick_hero7

hattrick_hero7 New Member

Mar 23, 2005
    resonably speaking....im 18 playing and will be going to Rio Grande University (NAIA National champs two years ago, and i think runners up last year.), on august 8 to play for them. im also sitting the bench for a pdl team, the toledo slayers.. what kind of chance would yall think id have at playing professionaly?
    im just kind of curious what yall think. im determined to make it its been my dream since ive been 10.. yoru honest opionons would be appreciated.

10. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech
    get playing time with pdl, make some noise, make some noise with school team, transfer to ncaa, get noticed, make some noise

btw, DONT GET INJURED

11. Wildcard

Wildcard New Member

Jul 4, 2004
    US
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never give up you dream before you have exhausted all efforts or you will regret it when you are older. Go to the combines, play USL div. 1 or 2 and try to move up. Go as far as you can and then be proud of yourself whatever happens.

Realize that the players in USL div. 1 and 2 and the NCAA DI and DII players are all competing for the same thing and only a small percentage actually make the MLS someday.

12. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    Don't forget USL (formerly A League). I know a few former NAIA players who have played with these teams (and I'm sure the list would be much longer). Also, a number of these teams have open (or at least semi-open) tryouts.

I agree that you shouldn't give up on your dream of playing pro, but if you aren't a regular starter on your PDL team, you aren't ready for the next level.

Good luck.

13. hattrick_hero7

hattrick_hero7 New Member

Mar 23, 2005
    That is good advice WildCard, thanks. I plan on working my way up. I know its cliche but i eat, drink, and dream soccer.. its been my goal for as long as i can remember. I'm going to give it everything i have, and make it as far as i can. i dont want to look back someday and say "what if". and your right that is something i should be proud of.

I dont mean to make excuses but as far as raw talent goes im as good or better then most of the guys on my pdl team . what gets me is the speed of play, and the experience they have. Im coming from "small football town usa" i havent been exposed to alot of good players, or coaches for that matter. but i did spend that time developing my skills. and after spending the first half of the season on the reserve Super Y team i worked my way up. im just hoping i can put them to good use soon, and see how far it will get me.

QUESTION someone told me today that if you transfer from a NAIA school after two years to a NCAA school it only counts as one year of eligibility.. he is usualy full of crap but i was wondering if this is true.

14. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Sandonmibut is scary. Kinda like a savant (minus the idiot ;D).

I could be wrong, but I think that the two Cubans that defected from the 2002 Gold Cup team, Rey Angel Martinez and Alberto Delgado both played on or two years NAIA down in Florida after it was determined that they were never really professionals or received financial compensation after playing in and for Cuba (because of the nature of the sports economic situation there).
    They both made it to the Colorado Rapids but are now playing in the USL.

15. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    Keep an eye on Nik Djokic, an actual American (Detroit) at Lindsey Wilson. He'll be a sophomore this year, is doing well in the PDL, and might be the rare home-grown to get to MLS straight from the NAIA.

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Thanks for the tips about the Cubans. I did not know that. Did a little google serach and, sure enough, it seems they played at St. Thomas University in Miami.

Scroll down, this link talks about it.
    http://www.cubanet.org/CNews/y02/nov02/13e3.htm

I wonder if the two who defected at this year's GC will follow the same path.

17. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Thanks a lot Sandon Mibut. I really appreciated the link.
    Like I said, y'all. The man is kinda scary... ;)