Djair Parfitt-Williams at NK Rudar Velenje (Slovenia)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by BostonRed, May 15, 2013.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club...-hopeful-signs-with-west-ham-academy_aid28798

Looks like Djair Parfitt is moving from San Jose Earthquakes Academy to West Ham. Born 10/01/1996, he has been in camp with the US U14s, but doesn't have citizenship yet.

He's been in the US since age 7 or 8, so he should be pretty close to citizenship (depending on a lot of factors we don't know right now). Citizen of Bermuda, so he can move to the UK without a problem. He scored last week for the U18 against Stoke.

“For the past two months or so, I have been playing with the U18s and also been training with the U21s,” Parfitt told TopDrawerSoccer.com. “Next season, I will be a U17, which means a ‘first year’ in the U18 team.”

USSF is keeping in touch while he gets his US passport. Also shows up as Djair Parfitt-Williams on some rosters.

http://www.ussoccer.com/teams/youth/us-under-14-ndp/2009-boys.aspx

2. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tom Collingsworth and Testudo repped this.
  3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve is a Yank (Dan Potts' dad), so maybe he can make sure the give us the inside scoop.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  4. genom

genom Member

May 27, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can vouch for his technical ability. I remember watching him play in 2011 with the Earthquakes Academy. I believe he was playing two years up, and was the best player on the field. Played as a two way CM back then.

5. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    "Tuesday, May 07, 2013
    Bermudian Shines For West Ham United

Djair Parfitt and his West Ham United teammates completed their Barclays U18 Premier League season with a hard-earned 2-0 victory at Stoke City.

West Ham ended the Tier One Stage campaign with a fourth victory in five outings against Stoke City through goals either side of half-time from trialist Joe Ward and schoolboy forward Parfitt.

Academy Director Tony Carr praised his young squad ... "Our second goal came from Parfitt-Williams and was another case of us up their play and winning the ball back. Parfitt picked the ball up and ran through and poked it past the goalkeeper from close range with about ten minutes remaining...."
    http://www.islandstats.com/sport.asp?sport=42&assoc=1&newsid=25648

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update from WHU Academy and some info on his citizenship status:

http://www.whufc.com/articles/20131004/djair-making-himself-at-home_2236884_3478708

After netting three goals in four appearances for the U18s last season while still a schoolboy, the first-year scholar has netted once in six Barclays U18 Premier League appearances so far this term.

Looking to the future, Parfitt-Williams is hoping to reach the top with both Club and country. While Best went on to play for Bermuda, the teenager is close to receiving his US citizenship and is targeting an international future for the Stars and Stripes.

"When people ask me where I'm from, I tell them California most of the time because if I say Bermuda they start asking loads of questions about where it is! I want to play for the US soon but I don't have my citizenship yet. I am a resident there, but to play for the US you have to have your citizenship.

"They have been calling me up but I've had to say 'No' because I haven't had the citizenship, but hopefully I'll get it in the next few months or something like that.

7. HopperKowalski

Aug 16, 2012
  8. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Testudo, Tom Collingsworth and drgonzo repped this.
  10. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since he's not living in the US how is that affecting him getting his citizenship?

11. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    If I remember correctly, as long as he keeps a residence in the US and comes back at least once every 6 months he's fine. Being that he's under 18 I'd imagine the residence requirement falls to his parents. If I'm wrong, feel free to bring the hammer of pain down on me. ;P

12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since he is under 18, the physical presence aspect falls on the adult(s) gaining citizenship. If his father/mother gets citizenship, he can pretty much join them and get instant citizenship.

If it happens after he hits age 18, then it's more complicated and he has to qualify on his own, which does mean 2.5 years physical presence in the US in the 5 years since he gained his Green Card.

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's kind of a rule of thumb for a Green Card holder. If you are on the 5 year plan (not married to an American citizen), you need to maintain a residence in the US (not necessarily a house, but show that you plan to return with bank accounts, paying US taxes) AND you need to have 2.5 years of physical presence in the US during your 5 years. You don't have to return every 6 months, but you do have to get permission if you are going to be gone longer than 1 year. Some Green Card holders have no immediate plans for citizenship and will bounce back and forth between countries, so they have to work harder to prove that they aren't abandoning residency in the US.

14. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone in the Lletget thread mentioned that West Ham will be fielding an u21 team for their upcoming FA match.

I'm sure there's a close to 0% chance he makes an appearance, but just thought I'd mention it because he made the bench in the last u21 game

Tom Collingsworth and USAMEX10 repped this.
  15. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    General note on the Hammers :

the English tabs are purporting a major riff between the club owners - mainly David Gold - and Sam Allardyce (often referred to as BFS on the various social media sites) over the Andy Carroll transfer. They speculate that the gaffer will be given through October - while Carroll is out injured, mind you - to keep up with the league. Should WHU struggle, Allardyce will likely be fired. His contract is up by the end of the season anyway.

The betting services have David Moyes as the most likely replacement.

18. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #18 Tom Collingsworth, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    That would probably be good news for Seb Lletget. I think (hope) a different manager would give Seb the opportunity to show whether or not he's got what it takes to play first team football at West Ham.

Of course that's under the assumption they don't go out and hire another hoofball type. If that's the plan I don't see his status changing much, if at all.

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and Testudo repped this.
  20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Testudo, Tom Collingsworth and bungadiri repped this.
  21. shockbldxz

shockbldxz Member

Jul 15, 2014
    USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #22 Tom Collingsworth, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
    It would be nice to get some more information on Parfitt's citizenship status.

If he doesn't have his citizenship yet he has to go it alone since he turned 18 in October. That will be a much more complicated process with him out of the country most of the year.

On the other hand, if he does have it, then why hasn't he been called up by the U-20's yet?

23. shockbldxz

shockbldxz Member

Jul 15, 2014
    USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    West Ham Wikipedia page shows American flag, sounds official to me

24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Don't let your freshman U.S. history professor hear you say that...

25. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    [​IMG]

stonej16 repped this.