dispatches from the National Review cruise

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Dec 25, 2012.

1. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seasick and drunk??
    you'll be lucky to have any guts left by the time you get back to port.

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Submit an alternative plan and keep negotiating until the day of their 50th anniversary. :D

minerva, dapip and bigredfutbol repped this.
  3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    My theory was that you'll get so drunk that you won't get seasick.. But, you might be right, seasickness is a tricky thing...

I personally never been seasick, but I recall the instuctor in a Scuba diving class I took telling that he used to make fun of land dwellers when they vomitted last week's breakfasts until he got seasick himself and learned how hard it can be...

4. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if it would work. I don't know if I would be brave enough to try it though - head spinning, deck under your feet swaying, stomach turning and churning - ugh, I think I might get sick just thinking about it.
    I have never been sea sick either. but I've never been in bad seas in a small craft either. I used to surf kayak (even in hurricane swells) when I lived in FL, but I'm not sure that counts.

5. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I've been in fairly bad seas but mostly in the kind of boat used for Scuba diving (20-50 feet I would say, I'm not a boat conosseur) although I'm not brave enough to try something as small as a kayak with a hurricane approaching.

But usually cruise ships are so big that it really takes a big storm for them to have a more than noticeable back and forth movement. However, it is not unheard off.. our friends sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale in the Oasis (I think is the second biggest ship in the World) right after Sandy went by Florida and they told us thtat they had to cancel some shows because the performers (ice skaters) couldn't keep their balance.

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No kidding it is tricky...

Been across the English Channel by ferry. The Irish Sea, both ways, drunk. Several times out to sea to snorkle.

But this last trip was the first I got seasick...

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being in a kayak might be okay as you' be paddleing and concentrating on things other than your stomach. Also, the movement would be slower due to the size of craft.

8. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, the most difficult thing about kayaking in a hurricane swell is getting out past the breakers - if it's a shore break - which is pretty much the only kind you have in FL. out in Cali, where you have a lot of point breaks, it isn't so bad. trying to time your paddling so that you crest the waves before they break is a tricky business. if you don't time it right, you're going for one wild ride.

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I had friends that had planned to bike across the US. They flew to Seattle where I hooked them up with a friend that could put them up for a few days while they shopped for bikes and gear. They made it all the way to Jackson Hole, WY where they found work at a ski resort. One returned home to Atlanta after the ski season, the other never left Wyoming. That was 25 years ago, 25 years is one hell of an American vacation. ;)

bigredfutbol repped this.
  10. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Made that mistake. In a gale. :sick:

11. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice! If I didn't need to live near relatively large metro areas in order to find work (commercial real estate accountant) I wouldn't have left Montana.

12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I can see a few reasons for stopping off in Jackson Hole. One, it's Jackson Hole. Two, if you bag it there, you don't have to pedal over the rest of the Rockies.

My wife and I spent one summer in Yellowstone. We were paid to for it, too. We taught a college level class each for park employees that provided transferrable credits (I taught creative writing, she taught the literature of the American West.) oh, free room and board, too. Basically, I taught on Monday and Wednesday evenings, she taught Tuesday and Thursday. Most Fridays, we'd load up the backpacks and head into the wild. We stayed at Lake Village, which was centrally located. If I could do that every summer... Hell, just having done that once makes me happy to think back on it.

luftmensch and bigredfutbol repped this.
  13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reminds me of my high school teacher. Every summer, he would go up to Yosemite and work. Did that for many years as a volunteer (the district payed very well!) and finally got a paid gig. I envied him for being able to do that for even one summer.

14. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have I mentioned before that the Park Service (national parks, forests, wilderness areas, etc) is my favorite use of tax dollars? If I ever become Dictator of America, I'm going to drastically increase the size of the budget and start buying up important land all over the place.

Then I'm going to make a law that no one over the age of 16 is allowed to go out in public in jeans so baggy that they would fall down if the wearer wasn't holding them up. I might also require a license (good for a year at a time) for anyone who wants to wear uncovered spandex in public.

15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So long as the wearing of a codpiece is still legal, I'm with you.

Have you seen this Ken Burns documentary?

[​IMG]

Damn good stuff, probably on DVD in your library. Lots of talking heads, but also lots of great scenery. And some surprising heroes and villains in the story of how we got the parks we have.

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    1) Sorry if the image is too big, but it's proving to be a major hassle to edit.
    2) Not that I need a codpiece... I'm thinking of the... erm, little people whose lives are made better knowing they're allowed to wear one. Seriously.

17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does this happen often?

I guess not.

18. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have seen that documentary - I loved it.