dispatches from the National Review cruise

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Dec 25, 2012.

1. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so what you're saying is that you enjoy something like a spa resort - not a hotel like a Ramada or a Holiday Inn or an Econo Lodge. I was beginning to wonder about you!
    me, I can't bear to just sit around and relax. I need to be doing something - whether I'm at home or traveling. I joke with people that if a man's house is his castle, my apartment is my motel 6. I basically only go there to sleep at night. I'm lucky that I live in a state that has more sunny days than Florida, or I would go nuts if I had to stay inside all day because of weather. I feel the same way when I'm traveling. I need to be outside. I need to be doing something.

2. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, too, have a thing for hotels. We stayed at a particularly nice one at the coast over Christmas. Our room was much nicer than the one in the photo - I think that they've done some updating. But it was awesome - ocean view, fireplace, mini-fridge, sink, surprisingly good free breakfast, amazing spa. I wanted to move in permanently.

3. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Staying in hotels can be adventurous, especially on lengthy roadtrips.

soccernutter and fatbastard repped this.
  4. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not me. In the right setting, I'm happy just to sit around reading and/or having cocktails. My favorite part of our trip to the coast was sitting in front of the open screen door and watching the waves crash on the rocks.

I would have been sitting on the balcony, but it was raining most of the time.

Dead Fingers, Ismitje and Demosthenes repped this.
  5. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't help but have this feeling that I'm going to miss out on something if I'm doing something.
    I know it's completely irrational. there really isn't a right or wrong way to feel about such things. it's just the way I'm wired I guess. and while others may want to squeeze as much as they can into a trip, and end up doing too much and exhausting themselves to the point where they feel they need a vacation to recover from their vacation, I don't feel that way at all. I'm strangely energized by seeing and doing and adventuring.

soccernutter repped this.
  6. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Well St. Eustatius was fun too. The airport has no lights so you have to land and take off during daylight hours. We were taking the last plane out and the plane was late so the airport folks were telling us to expect to spend the night on the island. Instead they pulled every car in parking lot and lined them up on the tarmac with the lights on. When the plane landed they said RUN! or it will be to dark to take off. We RAN!

Barbara repped this.
  7. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Well St. Eustatius was fun too. The airport has no lights so you have to land and take off during daylight hours. We were taking the last plane out and the plane was late so the airport folks were telling us to expect to spend the night on the island. Instead they pulled every car in parking lot and lined them up on the tarmac with the lights on. When the plane landed they said RUN! or she won’t take off again. We RAN!

soccernutter and Boloni86 repped this.
  8. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand what you are saying. One of the things why we like going to beach places...lie on the beach all day (SPF 15 for the wife, 150 for me ;)). We like to explore, but in a relaxing way. In Hawaii we drove around the main island's beach road and stopped at places that looked nice, stayed for an hour or two, and casually moved on. To us, that is a relaxing, calm vacation.

We've also done the more adventurous parts, too. That is more for me, though.

That said, my mom has been a bit of a hotel body. So I get what you are saying.

10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    fatbastard, roadkit, Barbara and 2 others repped this.
  11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is the balance we have. My wife would just lie around, or sit and observe. I walk around and look. I want to see what is out there that might be fun or interesting.

12. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    They're not navigating the ship! :D
    Not sure I'd want to spend a week partying with southern rock fans, but apparently, a good time was had by all!

13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  14. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We took a cruise on a "smaller" Greek liner based in Houston about ten years ago. Only 800 passengers and with a faster speed than the big ships, it featured traditional Caribbean opportunities (swim with dolphins, go to the beach) and, for those of us who were interested, excursions to several of the main Mayan ruins. One day we boarded a bus in Puerto Cortes on the Honduran coast at 6 a.m., had a granola bar and a banana on the road, and went to Copan for six hours (with a killer mixed grill in the shadow of the ruins, getting back to the ship for a late dinner. A day later we pulled into Guatemala's Puerto Barrios, bussed to a small airfield and caught a plane to within a 30 minute bus ride from Tikal's gates. We soon spent the Spring Equinox at Chichen Itza and spent part of a day at Tolum. It was an amazing way to see all of these sites.

15. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me that sounds like an absolutely perfect vacation.

16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I'm sure there was at least one jerk yelling "Freebird!" on the buffet line, in the pool, getting off the ship, etc.

minerva and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  17. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Well, if they were smart, the band got everyone to yell it once, at the departure, then told the crowd that was enough!

18. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, that's what's great about being an American. We can spend our vacations in whatever way we wish.

minerva repped this.
  19. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the very best vacation I've ever taken was more of a prolonged state of mobile homelessness. For four months, in between leaving DC and settling in Portland, we drove around the country. (I know I've typed about this before and y'all are probably sick of it. Sorry.) We were doing it on the cheap so we stayed in a lot of dicey hotels and did very few things that cost a lot of money but we covered about 30,000 miles and it was a blast.

For whatever reason, we searched out abandoned properties and ghost towns. One of our more interesting stops was Centralia, PA, which is one of the strangest places I've ever seen.

Everyone should be required to take a trip like that at least once in their lives. I wish I didn't have to work for a living or I'd do it all the time.

20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife and I spent two summers as itinerant journeyers. Camped here and there until we ran out of money, then got temp jobs for a couple of days before moving on. They were some of the very happiest times of my life.

21. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Why do you want to impose your religious beliefs on the rest of us?

22. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went for a winter kayak trip yesterday on the river that runs a couple of blocks from my house. Beautiful snow and ice. Saw a bald eagle, too. That's my idea of a cruise. I pray I never am forced to go on the other kind. Though having spent some time in Alaska (worked there summer for several years), I'd consider a coastal trip that took in glaciers, etc. Gotta be cold to appeal to me.

crazypete13 and Boloni86 repped this.
  23. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, just this morning my Dad broached the idea of an extended family cruise together to celebrate my parents 50th anniversary. My wife really wants to do it just so she say she's tried it. My sister and her family are all for it. So my feelings on the matter are likely to be rendered moot.

24. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude,it's free buffet for a week!

Take some freakin' Dramamine!!!

dapip repped this.
  25. dapip