dispatches from the National Review cruise

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Dec 25, 2012.

1. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a runner and someone who had a crush on Suzy in the early 90's, I found this story horrifying...and intriguing all at once.
    :whistling:

2. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    If you get to Norway I'd also recommend taking the train from Oslo to Bergen. The view out of the window is breathtaking.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  3. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm loving that article.

My favorite was the lady who was yelling that she disagreed & then got cut-off after Michael Walsh stated that Mike Huckabee is like Elmer Gantry and shouldn't be on Fox. I guarantee she has no idea who Elmer Gantry is but was disagreeing that Huckabee shouldn't be on Fox any more.

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Who is Elmer Gantry?

5. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    He invented glue for cranes.

Zamphyr, bigredfutbol, russ and 2 others repped this.
  6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    See now, I know with googling that you're putting me on. I'm smart that way.

7. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You know, if Ayn Rand knew she was writing satire, that would be brilliant (as in "Who is John Galt?). He's a huckster preacher first depicted in the novel "Elmer Gantry" by Sinclair Lewis, then subsequently depicted in the movie mentioned in the article, and most recently appearing in an opera, also called "Elmer Gantry." I'm sure that's the version of the story to which Michael Walsh was referring.

Edit: What I meant to say was, "google, ************************!"

8. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    does Elmer Gantry belong to the gentry?

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    heh heh heh

10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    hahahaha... Well.. We meant it that way too.. but it did not happen that way... 1st Cruise was in April, 2nd in October... Conception time I think was around Mother's day. :ROFLMAO:

11. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would totally dig that kind of Caribbean trip. Totally.

12. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can do the same thing in St. John. Stay there and then take little day trips to the various nearby BVIs like Jost van Dyke, Tortola, Virgin Gorda, Peter Island, etc., etc.

13. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Writing it? You jest, we are living it.

JBigjake repped this.
  14. ElasticNorseman

ElasticNorseman Member+

Apr 16, 2004
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    A trainride from Oslo to Bodø (last time I went meant a train change in Trondheim) is also good (and top it off with a boat ride to one of the Lofoten islands.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    It was fun and you would have enjoyed it. We took a boat to Anguilla and were warned that the last boat back left at 5. We rented a car and the “rental agent” warned us the gas gauge didn’t work. Well after a wonderfully romantic day on a secluded beach we head back to the ferry only to run out of gas (despite the fuel gauge on full and we’ve driven maybe 5 miles). This was before cell phones, so we are stuck in the middle of nowhere and wondering what to do and thinking we’ll be sleeping in this crappy car when a truck comes by and offers us a lift. We abandon our rental and jump into the back of the truck with two goats make it back to the dock just as the last boat is leaving. Everything is cool because the guy with the goats knows the guy that rents the cars.

The trips to Saba and St. Eustatius were more "dramatic". Saba claims to have the scariest airport.

soccernutter and bigredfutbol repped this.
  16. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile

Lol. I used to live on Statia. Have a blue bead for my time diving there. Statia is small, Saba is smaller. Hope you enjoyed hiking around and at least went to Smoke Alley for a drink.

One of my classmates is from Anguilla and I visited him there in 2008. Great place.

FYI - Saba only has 3 family names....yeesh o_O

17. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really love hotels. Sometimes I feel like a cruise would be fun because it would be a vacation where you just stay in the hotel.

18. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    The Saba landing/take off can only be described as "pants-shitting fear." The "drama" is usually caused by the puddle-jumping WinAir. They are known to cancel a flight for no rhyme or reason. Sometimes they tell you, sometimes you have to figure it out. Had an intern once who arrived without her luggage, lost by WinAir. It took approximately 2 months to find, which I found sad because Sint Maarten is only 30+/- km away. Yep, in 30 km, they managed to lose the luggage.

19. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I hiked the mount on Statia. It was pretty cool. how the entire climate changes when you get into the bowl of the volcano.

My brother was trying to restore some of the ruins.

20. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Depending on the timeframe you probably met my brother. He surveyed these islands, talked to people living on the islands, all in an effort to restore some of the original architecture.

21. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    A long time ago, people used to cultivate cacao and banana plants there with mixed success. Also, when a storm would come, farmer would take their cattle for protection.

There is a lot to restore there. I remember doing a transect survey on Tumble Down Dick Bay and came across a coral-encrusted anchor and part of the hull of a ship. I couldn't tell what it was until I took (swam) a bit back and looked at it from a bigger perspective. Never found it ever again and since it was on the Terminal property, we couldn't exactly saunter back in again.

Dr. Gilmore who runs the only archaeological digs there, has a whole treasure trove to himself. When it would rain, you could find broken pottery on the roads or walking paths that led to Gallows Bay.

VFish repped this.
  22. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. While I agree with pretty much everything else you posted, in my experience, progressives of means (at least those in the DC area) do everything possible to get their children out of public schools and into private ones. All of the talking heads certainly do -- where their precious offspring are protected from the unwashed masses of DC, and secured by gun-toting security (ironic, no?).

The key difference is that GOPers want to home school their kids to keep them safe from liberal ideology and other corrupting ideas -- like science, for instance.

23. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Hmmm. Thanks. In the unlikely event I ever get hooked into an unpalatable cruise, I'll take this approach.

24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [uote="yossarian, post: 26970608, member: 4830"]You can do the same thing in St. John. Stay there and then take little day trips to the various nearby BVIs like Jost van Dyke, Tortola, Virgin Gorda, Peter Island, etc., etc.[/quote]

As mentioned elsewhere...which reminds me, I need to write up my experience.

And I thought the creater of Gynostar would be adventerous.

I wonder if that is typical small(er) island Carib. Had a similar experience in Turks (Provo). We were waiting for a taxi with a guy who was waiting for his brother. The brother pulled up with his two small kids and asked if we had called a taxi. The feeling was that if not, he would figure out how to put us in his car with his brother, two kids, and all the luggage. Meanwhile, the guys who had dropped us off from the boat were hanging around until the taxi got there (it was after dark). We are far from niave travelers, but it was a nice feeling, and echoed a lot of what we experienced from the various local/non-tourist (re: white) people.

25. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am somewhat. But I also enjoy vacations which are pure relaxation. To me, there's travel, and then there are vacations. Two different things. Not that I've ever been on a cruise or have any particular desire to try one. If I'm going somewhere interesting, I want to travel. But as I said I really, really like hotels. So, I could kind of vaguely imagine enjoying a vacation where there's literally nothing else you can do besides enjoy the amenities of the hotel. No pressure to go anywhere or do anything or see any sights. It has a certain appeal.