News: Disney holds Combine During Pro Soccer Classic

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by patricksp, Dec 28, 2012.

1. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think a lot of people saw this item about the Disney Pro Soccer Classic. Disney will be holding a tryout with pros and College players for MLS teams that are at the Tournament. I thought this might be the MLS Combine but that is held earlier and at a different city and Field. Why do this after the draft? And is this unfair to other MLS teams? Does any one know if the Desert Diamond Cup has something like this.

From the Orlando Sentinel (with the IPad I can't use the Bigsoccer quotes)

"The incentive agreements require each team, in addition to participating in the Pro Soccer Classic tournament, to send a "head scout" to a six-day "international trials" event, during which unsigned professional players will audition for new deals, as well as a three-day "college combine," during which college players will perform in front of agents and other talent evaluators in hopes of landing professional offers. Both events, like the main soccer tournament, will be staged at Disney's Wide World of Sports venue."

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Sounds like it might be the USL combine (I believe the NASL combine is earlier).

3. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    Here is the Orlando Sentinel article. Some interesting information.

MLS is aware of Disney's plans for a combine. They reported it two years ago.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/disney-has-grand-plans-pro-soccer-classic

4. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the players trying out will, presumably, be paying Disney for the privilege of trying out in front of MLS scouts. And while they're there, at least some of those players will be staying in Disney hotels, paying admission and parking fees for Disney parks, buying tickets to Disney Pro Classic games, and noshing on Disney concessions.

Disney wants some of these players to get deals with MLS teams, but only because it will guarantee more players paying to get in front of those scouts next year. Disney is not doing this as a benefit to MLS, they're doing it because in this instance, benefiting MLS also helps Disney make a profit.

As for being unfair to the other teams...unless there's a provision that other teams can't send scouts--and I seriously doubt there is such a provision--then there doesn't seem to be any unfairness. Even if the teams that are going to Disney have an advantage, all other teams have to do is outbid the current teams for the rights to participate next year.