Disney buys Lucasfilm, promises Star Wars: Episode 7 in 2015

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Matrim55, Oct 30, 2012.

1. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Well, now that Lucas doesn't have to worry about Star Wars anymore he can get down to working full time with Spielberg on Indiana Jones 5. Harrison Ford isn't getting any younger!

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Indiana Jones was also sold to Disney. The rights to that franchise fall under Lucasfilm.

3. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently, though, Paramount still retains a portion of the rights to Indy-- so Disney would have to either collaborate with Paramount on a new Indy film, or buy them out, too. It does seem certain, though, that George Lucas's influence over the Indy franchise is now over, also.

4. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I think there is actually the possibility of decent future Star Wars movies (not as likely as completely crap, but definitely possible), I'm not sure the same can be said of the Indy franchise.

The least we can hope for is no more of this.

[​IMG]

YankBastard repped this.
  5. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, so much wrong with Crystal Skull. Indiana Jones says he learned Quechua while riding with Pancho Villa... what?

6. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I recall hearing that Ford will only do Indy 5 if they kill off his character, as he feels they're already pushing it.

7. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That was the only thing right with the movie, as it is a nod to the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. But Shia LaBeouf isn't even close to being the worst thing about that movie. He isn't even in the top 5.

8. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But dressing him up as Brando in "The Wild One" is.
    It is exactly the sort of gratuitous and indulgent nostalgia-fetishism that helps to ruin so many Spielberg and Lucas projects.

barroldinho and Alberto repped this.
  9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Well, both the SW and Indiana Jones series are nostalgia-fetishism in their earliest origins. I think the issue with Skull was that they took it way too far.

10. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I appreciate the nod to the TV series, but it makes no sense that one of Pancho Villa's men would speak Quechua.

11. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

sitruc repped this.
  12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Someone help me. Episode 7 puts us back at the creation of the universe or when the sun goes supernova?

13. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After Return of the Jedi, the Ewoks have cross-bred with Wookies and risen to power by creating a master race of Ewooks -- highly adaptable and militarily savvy 9 foot by 4 foot behemoths of bone crushing adorableness.

Not only have they mastered the Force, but they have also developed a can't-fail path toward self-actualization and personal fulfillment, enslaving the galaxy in a never ending cycle of (very expensive) classes that promise ever-increasing levels of positive achievement and individual betterment that will ultimately lead to universal peace, harmony and rock-hard abs.

14. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Return of the Jedi killed the Ewoks. Their planet will burn from the falling debris of the Death Star.

15. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    This.

I immediately went WTF when I heard the line (in Mexico nonetheless) and thinking how crazy it is that they couldn't fact check that in a movie that cost millions.

16. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Pancho Villa had a reputation for hiring mercenaries, so much so that the Division del Norte was basically regarded as the Mexican equivalent of the French Foreign Legion.

I'm not sure if he ever specifically hired Peruvians but it seems at least plausible, and an odd thing to take issue with about a movie that features people getting nuked in fridges and swinging through the trees like monkeys.

profiled repped this.
  17. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    If so then why not say that a Peruvian soldier in Pancho Villa army and not treat it like it was a common thing for Quecha to be spoken there. Yeah it could be the complicated example you made or the common mistake of grouping everything together than people do constantly in Hollywood.

18. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Did they do that? IIRC it was just a throwaway remark. Perhaps you're overanalysing.

19. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    reference: http://www.theforce.net/swtc/holocaust.html

A technical commentary with overwhelming support for this theory. Subtitle: "What happens when you detonate a spherical metal honeycomb over five hundred miles wide just above the atmosphere of a habitable world? Regardless of specifics, the world won't remain habitable for long."

20. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Yes it was. I'm overanalysing but you aren't overreaching in trying to justify the mistake by saying it might be possible even if the possibility of it is beyond miniscule? It's a throwaway remark but it's a remark they got way wrong and it did cause a semi stink in Peru and Mexico.

21. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I don't think I'm overreaching. That was actually what I assumed when I watched the film. The Young Indy Chronicles made a big deal about the many nationalities that were part of Pancho Villa's army. I just took it as read that they were talking about some Peruvian mercenaries.

Seems to be a case of people looking for a reason to be offended, TBH.

22. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Whether they had mercenaries, Pancho Villa's armies were mostly Mexican. Villa was extremely nationalistic later on. And yes to me you're more overreaching to go about peruvians (which even Quecha isn't the main language there either) and the possibility than it was a mistake. And it's not a thing uncommon for people looking to be offended. There's is million of mexicans and other hispanics in the US, yet they constantly get stuff like this wrong. If you go and see people screw up spanish almost every time they speak for years maybe you wouldn't think so.

23. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Look, it's a plausible explanation. When I watch a movie and I have to choose between a plausible explanation and the possibility that something is a mistake, I generally go with the plausible explanation. Most people do.

I appreciate that hispanics are somewhat touchy about the portrayal of their culture in American popular culture so I understand why it caused a stir. Confirmation bias and all that. I'm just saying that from an external perspective it's a bit of a storm in a teacup.

Put it this way - if he'd said "I learned Flemish while fighting in the French army in WWI" everybody (including yourself) would have assumed he'd learned it from some Belgians he met along the way. Not that the screenwriters thought that the French speak Flemish.

24. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    The Belgian example isn't the same because it's not as confused as others. To me an example would be like a person saying "He learned Japanase when he spent a year in Hong Kong" or " I have to learn arabic because I'm moving to Istanbul" or something to that effect. Those are cultures who get confused all the time by people with limited knowledge of them. Belgium is also a border country to France and has a lot of more possibilities of interaction. Peru, especially Quecha Peru doesn't have that much interaction with Mexico. Trust me, I'm Mexican and never heard of any Peruvian influence as opposed to other migrants which you are mentioning (Americans, Chinese, Spanish immigration in the north) You say it's plausible but to me it isn't. It's more plausible that they made another mistake. If you take into account that most of Villa's army were poor mexicans of possible indian heritage or descent, isn't it more plausible that they confused the indian language they spoke or could have spoken as they historically have done.

By the way this shows it isn't just me or Mexicans who thought so.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5jDLM2NqJLgpes3NpMxbxKJ0gYmaw

25. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    True, he had a ********ing Belgian fighting for him. :D