Disciplinary Committee tracking thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by JasonMa, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Mucky

Mucky Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Manchester England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I thought Stan posted that as with the EPL Red cards can be appealed in MLS but you only get two appeals in a season.
    That seems the sensible way to go because even MLS HQ recognise that Re-refereeing games is a bad idea (not sure why they didn't extend that logic to the whole review process but there ya go)
    So, it is my understanding, the card won't be reviewed unless RSL appeal.

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'm just trying to figure out if we're going to start calling the Disciplinary Committee, "DisCo" instead of "DC" as proposed in the weekly pbp thread.

3. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok. So no one is taking the bait on this. So I'll clearly ask the question.

Does anyone think Lenhart could be in trouble for cynically eschewing a clear goal scoring opportunity to simulate a foul to get a fellow pro red carded?

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Highly doubtful.

I don't think the DisCo ( :) ) really wants to get tangled in that web full-time.

5. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Let's see.

Farfan's gotta get at least 3 games for his red card tackle, not to mention the headbutting incident.

I'd imagine Nowak will get another game or so for entering the field and pushing Kennedy.

I think Omar Cummings deserves a game suspension for his studs up tackle into Juninho's leg, luckily there wasn't a ton of speed/power behind it or it could have been worse, and the referee did yellow card him.

The obvious questionable red card on Olave possibly being overturned?

What else was there out there?

I didn't see the first Union red card so can't comment.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say that's fair, given what else the DC has been reviewing this year. If they don't review it at all though I wouldn't call it a huge miss by the DC either.

7. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not going to happen.

8. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keon Daniel was dispossessed by Gavin, went to clear the ball but came in way late, and his kick/momentum ended up taking out Smith.

http://p.mlssoccer.com/SAu5a/video/951313/mls_2012-04-22-002213.640hq.mp4

It doesn't really seem that Daniel made all that much contact, IMO. I could see it being a yellow card; a red seems a bit extreme. Farfan's on the other hand, can't argue the red.

9. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Could go either way. It was reckless, but the timing was barely off, and FWIW Donovan, Beckham and others have gotten away without additional suspension for the same basic mistimed tackle so far this year.

Speaking of Beckham, the league never will, but I would like to at least see them fine him for showing up the ref the way he did for that PK. The PK was the wrong call, but that doesn't make it acceptable to accost the ref for minutes on end, then mope around the PK box for as long as possible.

10. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nowak should get at least three matches for coming onto the field and shoving a player. Players getting into it I can kind of understand, and therefore, kind of tolerate. But coaches have no business getting physically involved, and this is completely unprofessional.

Out of control. And his team isn't much better.

11. StoppageTimeWinner

Apr 23, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I would feel much better about this committee if I knew who was on it and what general criteria they follow

12. soccersonoma10

Apr 26, 2007
    hmm. olave brought down lenhart when he was the last man...no way lenhart gets in trouble, no way the red gets overturned.

13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    DisCo now! DisCo forever! DisCo fever!

(Seriously, the use of "DC" for Disciplinary Committee greatly confuses this DC supporter.)

14. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This must be a leftover idea from 4/20.

Steven Lenhart didn't engage in any simulation. He engaged in a holding foul. That's all.

I think it stretches the imagination to say that on a full-speed sprint towards goal, with a lot of open space, that Lenhart suddenly heard the footsteps and quickly thought out: "Instead of trying to fight through the contact and get off a shot, or instead of taking an outright dive to try to sucker the referee who's 40 yards behind the play, I'm going to grab this guy by the balls, pull him towards me, and hope he lands on me in such a way that it looks like a red card foul at the top of the box."

I think it's much, much, MUCH more likely that Lenhart knew the guy was there and was trying to hold him off, or put him off balance so he couldn't defend the way he needed to. That's not simulation. It's holding.

And Olave DID fall over onto Lenhart. There's no way a panel unanimously decides there's no basis for the red card. It's harsh, but it's really difficult to see an agreement that the referee had no basis for the call, which should be the standard.

15. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    And this week, it's Panic! at the DisCo.

...I'll sneak out the back door.

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, watching the replay, I think Lenhart fouled himself. He deserves at least a blue card for that.

17. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Thank you. All BigSoccer San Jose fans need to read this.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  19. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious, did you read it?

If you did, I think you missed his point. He said it wasn't a dive and it won't be overturned.

20. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On one of the latest ExtraTime Radio podcasts, Nelson Rodriguez (MLS EVP of Competition and Game Operations) mentioned that the committee consists of 5 guys ... 2 former MLS players (1 of which is chosen by the MLS Players' Union), 2 former MLS coaches, and 1 former MLS referee. And, after reviewing the play(s) in question, they have to be unanimous on everything before taking further action.

21. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    I wondered if they would look at Dawkins' scissoring slide tackle from behind on Will Johnson (minute 43:00). Dawkins got a yellow, but it seemed like it violated the letter of the law as much as Espindola's two-footed challenge that was red-carded.

I thought that called for a brown card...

22. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
  23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids