Disciplinary Committee tracking thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by JasonMa, Mar 23, 2012.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: So, where's the Disciplinary Committee?

Two solid steps by the DC.

Now they need to suspend a big name like Donovan or Beckham for tackling somebody other than a Sounder. :D

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not going to happen. The Sounders will roam around MLS leaving behind it a swath of suspensions and fines behind them. Call it our bit of charity work for the other team's next opponents. :)

So, you're welcome Chicago and after Saturday, you're welcome Vancouver.

3. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX

I am ok with this, the DC is apparently saying it should have been a red. I don't think it was malicious (he slid over the ball) BUT he came in with spikes showing so fair enough red.

Man do I hope they do this for embellishment all year but I doubt it.

4. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

Yea the spikes showing is probably what got him suspended. I was watching Rangers vs Celtics this week and one of the Celtics' player got sent off for a studs showing tackle.

5. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I doubt it as well. Fernandez's fine is another example of an incident that got noticed on national TV and was hammered down. Fernandez, for one, has been doing that exact thing since he came to MLS and I'm sure he did it in the Toronto game as well.

I will also say that if Clark doesn't make his comment and if Moffat doesn't do his tackle, then I doubt Fernandez would have gotten the fine.

6. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Have zero problem with either of the actions--I think they're about perfect for the circumstance. If anything Moffat should have been sent off by the ref either for the tackle or for getting a 2nd yellow for all the dissent he did during the game. That amount of disrespect shown the ref bothers me as much as diving does.

7. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX

His level of dissent wouldn't even place him in the top 50 in this league.

8. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know that, which is why the league needs to start cracking down on it. It's downright embarassing.

Of course, the greatest dissenter in league history is now coaching Montreal--what's the odds Marsch makes it through the year without being fined by the league?

9. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So is swinging at another Player no longer considered Violent Conduct or does the Player that is hit have to fall down an pull a "Fernandez" in order for that to be considered Violent Conduct? See Minute 83 Yellow to Fernandez after swinging at Boswell.

So did the DC:

a. not get to that part of the highlight reel yet

b. disregard it's own Parameter #3:

Where the referee sees an incident and either does not act, or rules only a foul or only a yellow card (i.e., anything other than a red card), the Committee will not in general issue a suspension, unless:
    • The play in question is, in the unanimous opinion of the Committee from all available video evidence, a clear and unequivocal red card; AND
    • The play in question is of an egregious or reckless nature, such that the Committee must act to protect player safety or the integrity of the game.
    • − In determining whether a play is egregious or reckless, all factors are taken into account, including the fact of injury to any player. Where there is no injury, the Committee will not act except in extraordinary or exceptional circumstances.
    c. Does not know that Violent Conduct is defined as:

A player is guilty of violent conduct if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball.

He is also guilty of violent conduct if he uses excessive force or brutality against a team-mate, spectator, match of
    fi cial or any other person.
    Violent conduct may occur either on the

field of play or outside its boundaries, whether the ball is in play or not.
    Advantage should not be applied in situations involving violent conduct unless there is a clear subsequent opportunity to score a goal. The referee must send off the player guilty of violent conduct when the ball is next out of play.
    Referees are reminded that violent conduct often leads to mass confrontation, therefore they must try to avert this with active intervention.
    A player, substitute or substituted player who is guilty of violent conduct must be sent off.

Mind you I'm not disagreeing with the Moffat Suspension but this arbitrary enforcement and interpretation of the Laws of the Game by the DC is not exactly helping anyone other than giving the press something to write about.

10. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids

Good on the DC for taking action, but I don't understand how Moffat's tackle gets a suspension but Donovan's doesn't, aside from the fact that one guy is the face of US soccer and the other is pretty much a nobody.

11. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Donovan's tackle wasn't against the Sounders. Duh. :)

12. Ajas

Ajas Member

Sep 23, 2009
    3eattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

No, I think they changed the rules in the offseason so they could more liberally dole out suspensions and fines, which I am all for definitely.

I'm glad Fernandez got fined. His antics this year have been disappointing... It's like Montero back in 2009-- you're fantastic on your feet, cringe-worthy on your ass.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They said they were going to do that, but the rules on the Discipline page of the league's website still read what Offebacher quoted.

14. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wait... Are you saying that the MLS web crew is competent?

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm suggesting either the web crew or the disciplinary committee is incompetent. I leave it up to the reader to choose. :D

(and I don't rule out the possibility that both of them are incompetent)

16. jvilla07

jvilla07 Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Houston + NOLA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

That's the thing about some players that pull that action - they're good players that don't need to do it and only make themselves look bad.

17. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose

Interesting tweet from Alexi Lalas today:

For the record, the incident he's referring to is the foul the Beckham committed that didn't even get a yellow card. I thought he might have been referring to Donovan's foul that got a yellow, but that was later in the match.

As others have said, once the DC punishes someone like Beckham or Donovan, then maybe people will believe that they are taking a look at all players equally.

18. tomreel555

tomreel555 New Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

MLS' take on the old saying goes like this "sticks and stones will break my bones but words will hurt me even more"...

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Apparently I asked the question and now they're responding in force!

20. dynamofan

dynamofan Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Houston

So if I read the report correctly, on the same play that Benitez from Dallas threw an elbow worthy of getting a suspension, Cruz gets fined for embellishment? Seems like it should either be embellishment or a suspension for the elbow thrown, but not both.

I watched the video several times, and I actually thought that Cruz did embellish it and think the suspension for Benitez is harsh. But it's a bit hard to tell.

McDonald's tackle looked very dangerous when I saw it live, not surprised by that decision. Same with Atiba Harris.

21. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Benitez was suspended for the intent of throwing an elbow, Cruz was fined for embellishment because Benitez did throw the elbow, but he did not hit Cruz in the face.

22. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA

So Alonso's nasty studs-on-ankle tackle of Baca gets nothing from the ref (which would've meant a sending off) and nothing from the league...

The nastiest foul I saw all weekend--can't remember the game--was when someone got their plant leg (right leg) kicked with full force at the knee level while controlling a ball in the air with their left. Makes me wince just thinking about it.

I'm happy about this overall. The league had to do something, the refs simply aren't willing or able at this point.

23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia

When will the officials be suspended and fined for missing these calls? If I'm a player, I'm looking at the league and the officials to protect my health especially with the risks of concussions in sports today...

24. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Because it takes more than one bad game to get a referee suspended? I suspect the referees that have had bad games up to this point have had discussions with the people responsible for reviewing them and have been told to make the appropriate corrections or they will be suspended.

25. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids

When we have a deep pool of quality refs, that might happen. But until then, I'm okay with neither suspending nor fining referees for missing something they only get one look at from one angle, which happens at full speed. The DC, on the other hand, gets to watch it repeatedly, from multiple angles, at both full speed and slow-motion. Referees are going to miss things, or err in judgment due to not having a complete view of the situation. If you have a problem with that, maybe you should stop watching sports. Chess might be more up your alley. I imagine the officials there are a lot more likely to get everything absolutely correct, which should please you immensely.