Dilly Duka

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by ZipSix, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    It's like getting Andy Herron back - all over again...maybe it'll work out better this time.

Kayak repped this.
  2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately Jay Heaps isn't playing anymore.

cam5fc repped this.
  3. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should trade Duka to New York. He would fit in perfectly there.

4. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this trade goes through it makes the 1st round draft pick even more useless.

5. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Oh I think so, too. That's why I mentioned him last night.

It's easy to forget that Oduro had a career year for them in '11 (even getting called into Ghana's setup, no easy feat considering their array of options), but he really struggled in '12 through the spring and mid-summer. So that's why they brought in McDonald. Once he came aboard, he started immediately and the writing was already on the wall for Oduro if it hadn't been already once Rolfe came in.

To Bill's point earlier, I also give Klopas a ton of credit for the job he did last season. He almost completely changed course last season on the fly first by getting rid of Grazzini (who had been playing well), getting Rolfe, bringing in Fernandez and benching Oduro, I thought it would take time and might not work out, but for the most part it did.

But I prefer to go back to '11 when Oduro along with Nyarko IMO were arguably one of the most impressive combinations in the league. Oduro's power, speed and finishing with Nyarko's speed and trickery, they were lethal and I hate to admit it but that duo was fun to watch.

So yeah, I really we hope we get Oduro and he can rediscover his '11 form here.

6. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oduro has been traded 3 times already. Hope this deal is not for real.

7. BrickStreetBoy

Oct 3, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm ok with it. We give up a player who obviously has no future with the club for one that can contribute and add depth

8. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    We're all now apparently operating under that assumption, but remember he was their MVP in '11. He wasn't sharp in the early going last year and Klopas changed things around pretty quickly, but it doesn't mean he still can't get goals in this league as a starter. Go back and watch the goal Grazzini served up for him against us last June. Now imagine Higuain threading it through.

9. BrickStreetBoy

Oct 3, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Well, I don't see him as a starter without injury to Arrieta

10. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    He could and would start alongside Arrieta with Higuain in behind. It would be really narrow, but that suits Gaven and we've done it a lot in recent seasons. The key is we'd have to bring in a top-class DM, but we should have the money to do that assuming Milo doesn't return.

kgilbert78 repped this.
  11. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Applebee's waitress on Twitter said that we would be sending them allocation money in a Duka / Oduro swap.

12. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Not surprised about that, they were the ones balking about Duka's salary.

13. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Evidently Vancouver is shopping Omar Salgado, 19-year old striker. Strong, big kid...

Lets just give them Duka. We'll take Salgado. Call it a day.

14. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love love love this move.

15. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Which is why it'll never happen. It makes too much sense for our FO to do...

soccerusa517 repped this.
  16. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    I thought they would have been a good trade partner, I think he could be really good, If they don't want him I'd gladly take him.

17. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or possible Van. not wanting to take on Duka's salary (not sure if/how much the Crew would have to eat of it) or just not wanting Duka to begin with.

18. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    who would not want duka? do all rights to the fist pump go with him, or stay with us?

19. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Eff this.

Did we trade him yet?

20. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Why is this thing dragging out so long? He has no reason to agree to a paycut so if it's a matter of how much of his salary the Crew are willing to pickup, that should have been settled last week.

21. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    I think Duka and his agent are trying to get him a longer term contract. Bliss basically flat out said our side of it is done and we told Duka, the Agent, and the other team to figure their stuff out.

22. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    You would have to think the Oduro deal is now dead in the water. I'm thinking Dilly to NY for Roy Miller + hopefully either a future pick (like a 2nd rounder) or maybe a small bit of allocation cash. Not saying I like the move, but I can see it as a possibility, although there does seem to be two stories out there regarding left back. But Miller's cheap, experienced internationally and in this league, and you could pencil him in, which is what Bliss' main caveat was.

23. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012
    He could be taking a huge pay cut here, no?

24. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    He who? Oduro and Miller made about the same figure last year.

25. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012
    Thread is titled Dilly Duka.