Dilly Duka

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by ZipSix, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012
    You're mistaken, it's been at least a couple of years. Just look at which teams have dumped him. Two of the most dysfunctional teams in the league's trash is Robert Warzycha's treasure.

2. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the Duka thread. No more Tchani

3. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Just because the Chicago deal stalled doesn't mean there might not be fresh interest in him around the league with some of the moves abroad this week. Then there was that cryptic tweet from the KC guy. Dallas could use a direct replacement for Shea now. SJ need AM's in the wider areas. NY could use a left-footed AM. You never know, I wouldn't be surprised if we're weighing up several offers now, though I still think the Chicago one is off.

For the record, I'd welcome him back with open arms provided it spurs him to fight for his place and deliver on his promise.

4. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Dilly played more of an attacking midfield role pretty much everywhere he's been except with us. If we don't get a trade worked out I'd be happy to see what he could do there. The problem with that is some of us, me included, have wanted to see that given a chance for quite awhile and I don't expect it to happen. The other thing is he might not get to see the field at all which will be a waste of a roster spot, cap space, and talent; it would also be awful for team chemistry.

5. soccerscott27

soccerscott27 Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I have wanted to see this as well, as many of us could see his quality at that position before last season when he played over in Europe. I hope Dilly Duka is able to get out of here or Warzycha is canned quickly this season. Sadly, I also think that many of our rookies will get little to no time with the first team without injuries occurring as Warzycha rarely takes a chance with rookies. He will be really conservative this year, as it is the last year of his contract and he did not make the playoffs last year.

Dilly will likely get a few minutes at the end of some games as a vendictive coach will attempt to cause more pain to him as he would not agree to Chicago's contract. Duka will be treated just as he was at the end of last year. I found it funny that Bliss asked Dilly to be professional during an interview where Bliss himself was acting unprofessional.

Did Duka act unprofessional? Yes. But guess what many professional athletes act unprofessional. Montero (two years ago) and Martinez (last year) had similar outbursts in Seattle, but they had a coach with more confidence and an ability to communicate to help resolve those issues. While the Dallas coach did not appear to do as well with the Shea outburst. I once heard a good coach say the main job for a coach at the professional level (where players are already at a high level of play) is communications.

Sadly, many complain about Duka being whiner, etc. I hope and assume this is because we all love the Crew and don't want to believe that our beloved team is in the hands of a bad coach, that appears to be unable to improve his coahcing ability. Yes, Duka complained and showed it in public. But if we were in that situation and saw our chance at a successful career being flushed by a moron (playing mutliple players in positions that they are not physically or technically suited for or benching them without any explanation) we would likely do the same. Especially, when it appears that the coach doesn't explain anything to players beyond the words "responsibility" and "professional."

This coach has an inability to communicate and develop younger players. The only young potential starter this year that came here while Warzycha was head coach is Williams and he didn't look good at RB in the last preseason game (getting beaten 3 times in the first 30 minutes, while the left back was actually worse and showed no recovery speed (he reminds me of Vuko, so I say 10 games is the over/under or whenever we face a burner as a RS/RW). He will never settle with a spot for Williams because no other coach has showed him where Williams plays best. That is why all our starters will remain players brought in from other teams. LM will never be settled as this is a similar problem. I say we start with Meram, then try out Speas, maybe through in Finley for a game or two then Anor might be healthy, rinse and repeat. This is why Robbie "Pirate" Rogers was able to regain his spot after his tantrum. Another coach showed him he could play there and he was to fearful of his ability to analyze whether one of his rookies could actually fill that role long term.

This is why I was hoping we would trade Trapp to Portland, because I want him to have a chance at being successful and possibly be on the USMNT. He would have been able to start there as they need a CDM and their coach knew of his quality. Trapp will rot here while Warzycha brings in Sanchez, a veteran duplicate of Trapp. Some coaches are are more willing to take a little risk to better the younger players and the team in the long run. Ours is not one of these coaches.

The reason I diverged into other players is to show that this has been a pattern with Warzycha with younger players and will continue with future young players. Sadly, this will include our good homegrowns.

As long as he is coach we should trade all our draft picks and the rights to all our homegrowns for allocation money and veteran players on other teams, because the younger players will not recieve a decent shot on Warzycha's Crew. I think he may be able to manage a team with only veterans who don't need any communication, but so could anyone else.

If we retain this coach beyond this year, I hope he has the ability to change or Duka (Grossman, Balchan, Vuko, Dike, etc) will not be the last in the situation.

ZipSix repped this.
  6. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Still no KHT reward?

7. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    When you have to ask for it, bad things happen...
    [​IMG]

8. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    May your children adore Dema Kovalenko.

eboe repped this.
  9. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Ouch! I deserved that didn't I.

Ok, ok. Makeup boobies!!

[​IMG]

(And for the record, KHTs and other such glorious traditions of the Crew BS forums were over-moderated almost to extinction it seems because advertisers were complaining to BS about it, or so the explanation went when we were told to knock it off.)

chr1st repped this.
  10. atcdelay

atcdelay Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

It's a whale of a stretch to call Sanchez a veteran duplicate of Trapp. Sanchez, an accomplished midfielder with top league experience in one of the top soccer countries in the world, compared to Trapp, an unproven rookie professionally in a country where soccer is at best #5 in terms of popularity and whose national team, when measuring achievement by nation population, is middling at best.

11. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    So with Jardy's latest update at least we know Chicago is still interested and KC is also making inquiries. It's at least positive we aren't stuck dealing with one team.

12. soccerscott27

soccerscott27 Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    5' 8" 150lbs. Medium speed and acceleration. Both more passing than enforcer CDMs. Both played or are playing for their U20s NT. I guess Trapp is considered more of a potentially elite player in his respective country, which happens to be the country of the league in which he plays. Him playing and being a success would not only benefit the Crew with numbers at the gate, but also potential future players wanting to be like their local hero Trapp. I know that at games the people who sat around me would talk of two things this year, whether Trapp would sign with the Crew and why Speas wasn't even on the bench. After Higuain came he was also a consistent topic, as well. This is why I assumed they did not trade Trapp to a team (Timbers) that he would have started on and played in a system much more suited to him. Trapp was the 2010 NSCAA National High School Player of the Year (out of nearly 500,000 male soccer players) and a top 5 ranked high school senior in 2010. He then was rated the No. 1 freshman in the nation by Top Drawer Soccer and Freshman All-American by College Soccer News. After Sanchez's highlights and seeing Primera Division games (only a few each year), the defense is not what I have seen in many of the top leagues. Almost no pressure on defense and very similar to the Dutch league. I do not question that the playmakers from Argentina are some of the best in the world, but the defensive players are easy to question. If you give me a player who plays in that league at AM or forward half the time for his team I will not question him, but I will question a defensive mid or defender of that status. I have to assume the Crew will attempt to have Sanchez play CM and have a limited defensive role.

But the main concern for Crew fans should be that a player of Trapp's quality is probably also behind O'Rourke, Tchani, Viana, George, and Konrad, but hopefully the Crew front office stops this. We currently have two other top 5 nationally ranked players with homegrown status in their respective classes coming up and they may view what happens to Trapp and think maybe my other options would be better. This is the same for other young players after seeing the Duka situation and others who aren't deemed responsible/professional.

13. BrickStreetBoy

Oct 3, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    In a 4-2-3-1 like we played for most of last year, unless you want to call it a 4-4-1-1 can have two defensive midfielders. Sanchez could start with Trapp. Now I don't think Trapp will start every game because he's young and we don't want to burn him out but hes definitely going to get plenty of playing time

14. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Macgruber repped this.
  15. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    /closethread lol

16. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012
  17. NewEnglandClamChowder

Jul 28, 2012
    The Eyetalian Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    EFF. Gonna miss you dukes.

Am I underestimating Oduro by thinking he's just Renteria 2.0?

18. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A good idea, actually. That deserves its own thread.

StatesideSoccer repped this.