Hector Herrera, Miguel Layun & Jesus Manuel Corona @ FC Porto

Discussion in 'Mexicans Abroad' started by Aguilas Del America, Dec 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicamex1935

nicamex1935 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Many here thought guys like Herrera and Aquino would flop a la Barrera or Juarez and no such thing happened. They're doing ok.

Give Hector more than one full season with the squad. Remember him and Reyes weren't even on the first team for a huge chunk of the season. They're being brought in slowly.

Organizationally, Porto was a disaster too this year. Don't see how that that benefited them either.

2. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    But the Porto's fans argument is that Herrera is 24 and should be a fully developed player which is true, and points to the poor development of players in mexico.

3. manuel84

manuel84 Member+

Oct 16, 2012
    Tatatatamaulipas
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    I clearly understand what you are trying to explain. Pulido and Jimenez could walk by the same way if they arrive to a big european club.

4. manuel84

manuel84 Member+

Oct 16, 2012
    Tatatatamaulipas
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Who thought that? El Zorrillo has a level to play for a big european club but need to develop his futbol a little more and that will happen getting more minutes. The success depends only by himself.

5. elvasco

Sep 10, 2006
    or even a medium size club, they will be 23ish and a lot will be expected of them and more than likely they will cromble under teh pressure.

6. MX92

MX92 Member+

Feb 27, 2013
    Is more true in Herrera's case, the dude was playing second division ball at 21. He is missing a lot of the bases because he didnt have a real formation, he has gotten this far on talent alone
    Aquino has not been a flop but he already hit his european ceiling. Herrera has the talent but his inconsistency and lack of bases were the things that had me worried about him, he has had an ok season. Needs another season to see what road he is headed for: success or flop

7. Saldgotti1991

Saldgotti1991 Member+

Jun 7, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Pampered fans say bullish things! Hector Herrera has done better than most of their "developed" players!

ipaman and siva66 repped this.
  8. Athazagoraphobia

Jul 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Didn't we say at the beginning of the season that him breaking into the first team squad would be seen as a success, especially taking into account the fact that he started off with Porto B? Now, he's even starting and people are unsure about whether he's been a bust or not. Dafuq is this shit.

9. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    Are you serious? The paradigm was so different 30 years ago that any kind of comparison to what is currently going on is completly ridiculous. While we are at it, why not include el Pirata Fuente who traveled to Spain on a boat to play for Racing in 1935. And even then, a lot of the situations you described above did not have to do with mexicans feeling ¨uncomfortable¨ in Europe. For example, Cuau was doing all right until he broke his leg and Borgetti and Fonseca did not come back because they were uncomfortable, they came back because they sucked and they only made the trip to Europe because Bolton´s and Benfica´s scouts were idiots.

Your comment reeks of an ignorant negative ¨periodista¨ that just feels superior because they go against what the idiotic masses believe.

10. elvasco

Sep 10, 2006
    ok then mexican players are great and they do great in europe that is why there are so many of them.

first of all cuauh was never doing "all right" in spain even before the injury.
    And really Bolton's scouts were idiots by signing the top scorer in the history of the NT?
    Benfica's scouts were idiots after signig arguably the best mexican player in the mexican league for the past 2-3 years at the time?
    ok and Im the ignorant.

Also I went back to the 80s when listing mexican players abroad cuz the 90s was a desert and was pretty much like that until the mid part of the last decade, right now we are probably at a high when it comes to mexican footballers in Europe. No Marquez or Hugo Sanchez' yet but we have them in high numbers and doing ok and that is new.

11. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    #2986 Pirru, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    You could also ask why don't they develop their own quality players?

supply and demand.

And i think most of their bitching comes from his price tag.

12. LGRod

LGRod Member+

Mexico
    Aug 14, 2010
    Listenin to Los Bookies
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    #2987 LGRod, Apr 22, 2014
    Ha, its been decades since Portugal produced a competent 9.

Otaku repped this.
  13. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Give HH some more time....And he will be running things in the mid.

icybauer, LGRod, JJV1994 and 1 other person repped this.
  14. and1football

and1football Member+

Nov 10, 2009
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I read some of those forums. These are the same guys que le maman la verga a Quaresma. The biggest flop in all of Europe. Looked super promising, pero nada mas vendio humo.

Also note that they have a different expectations that the ones in Mexico. Like they said, they're mad that he's 24 and struggling a bit, yet it's his first year in Porto and the Mexican league truly lacks player development.

So I say the best is yet to come. Mexican players tend to flourish when they're older, with the exception of Guardado, who flourished as a young player but is dropping off in quality.

Saul Acosta, Otaku, nicamex1935 and 2 others repped this.
  15. elvasco

Sep 10, 2006
    The portuguese have a hard on for Quaresma bigger than Portugal it self, they always thought he is more talented than Ronaldo but lacks his work rate and dedication.

Saul Acosta repped this.
  16. and1football

and1football Member+

Nov 10, 2009
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That's why I take those comments with a grain of salt. They're also trying to compare Herrera to Moutinho, because Moutinho went to Porto like at 23 or 24, and for 11 million.

The thing is Moutinho had played professional since 05 or when he was 17, and was even made vice-captain at 19 for Sporting. So you can also imagine cuanto le maman a este vato.

LGRod and GrandeSoccer repped this.
  17. elvasco

Sep 10, 2006
    Also Moutinho went to Porto at a better momment, right now they in between coaches and benfica seems to have their shit togather.

and1football and GrandeSoccer repped this.
  18. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Doesn't compute. Weren't many of these fans saying he was MOTM just a few games ago? (both of our guys)
    @FC PORTO BGC had much praise for both.

They may just be spazzing at the meltdown at the end of the season.

Saul Acosta, icybauer and GrandeSoccer repped this.
  19. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    Borgetti doesnt even crack the top 5 all time forwards in terms of talent. He was a one trick pony that benefitted from the beginning of the relationship with SUM and a ton of partidos moleros. He went to Bolton when he was 32, the guy was done. Chicharito should break his record in 2 years, and he is 25. Same thing with Fonseca, he was in a drastic decline when they bought him. He was averaging a goal every 10 games after coming back from Benfica, absolutely terrible scouting on their part.

The comparable players you should have mentioned are Barrera and Juarez, but for everyone of them, there are 3 mexicans that have managed to stay and contribute.

Going to the 80s is just laughable.

:thumbsup:

LGRod repped this.
  20. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    meh

Borgetti had a more than decent goal/game ratio at Bolton.

21. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    2 goals/19 games

Saul Acosta repped this.
  22. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    #2997 ...In my defense, Apr 22, 2014
    Those are his league stats.

Three in six in the FA Cup.

Two in Seven in Euro competition.

His minutes played/goal ratio was pretty good. Jared only played 112 minutes during the first half of the 05-06 EPL season which included over a month on the sidelines due to injury.

There's a reason most of his goals came in the FA Cup and European competition. Using his league stats when he played most of his minutes in the other tournaments is disingenuous.

23. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    #2998 DGreat, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    you forgot layun, edson rivera, Pablo Barrera, Efrain Juarez, Carlos Ochoa, Manuel Vidrio, Aaron Galindo

LGRod repped this.
  24. ar2ro

ar2ro Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Shanghai, China
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Thank you...finally someone with some sense! To hell with context!!!

25. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    Beat me to it. I saw all if his games with Bolton and he was well above average and was knocking in goals for them. Allardyce used him sparingly though even though he scored more often than not.

siva66 repped this.