Diego Forlan Coming to MLS?

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by Akhan786, May 17, 2013.

1. Akhan786

Akhan786 Member

Mar 1, 2013
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...referral&utm_content=News&utm_campaign=Unpaid

The Daily guys speculated his best fit would be either Chicago or Seattle.

2. koolvid

koolvid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get er done

3. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago is really tight up against the salary cap; rumors of a possible Soumare trade to the Fire are being dragged out because of his contract length and amount, even with the Union offering to eat half of his salary. Assuming Forlan is signed as a DP - no reason to believe he wouldn't be - Seattle already has the full compliment of designated players on their roster, so one of Rosales, Martins, or Joseph needs to be dealt with first.

4. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Jaguares of Mexico were the front runner as of a couple of days ago...but things do change.

I'd love to see him here at DCU...but we have our baby DP....

5. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    The possibility of a DP might be why they are tight up against the cap though. They have been talking about the possibility of adding a DP-level attacking player since the end of last year. If they are serious about that then they may have already budgeted that into their plans and adding Soumare would derail those plans.

6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forlan in Chicago? Uh, he's smart enough to know a single player can't turn around a soccer team or undo the incompetence in that organization. If he comes, it should be to a deep team with talented attacking options he can play off.

The idea of surrounding a great player with crap is a poorly thought out strategy and that's what it would be in Chicago and a number of other teams. A talented attacking player like himself needs a Sea, Por or SKC system with quality tactics and sound movement, as well as options to play off, or a NY or LA where even though the system isn't that good he'd have very good attacking talent to play off. Chicago's system and roster does not support getting a player like Forlan, nor does NE, DCU, Columbus, Hou, Chivas, Colo or SJ for that matter.

Most MLS teams' system don't lend themselves to fitting in a player like Forlan. There's only a few teams in MLS which play at a high tempo with good movement/tactics, and one of those teams is where hopefully he'll end up. I'd love him in Por and those fans deserve a big name DP on the Keane/Henry level, such as Forlan.

7. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Total base salary for the Fire based upon the latest MLSPU salary release - yes, I did the math - is just a shade over $3.7M, with six players at/above $225k a year. This includes Alvaro Fernandez and his base $300k/yr for some reason, who is currently on loan with Al Rayyan in the Qatar Stars League.

So even if Soumare is not in their future plans, they need to move some guys in order to fit a DP-level attacker within their budget.

I could see Forlan signing with Beckham's Miami expansion team, though. ;)

8. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salary cap numbers are bullshit, Fernandez is being loaned out so what we are getting form the loan makes up his salary. There's allotment that we have from other loans, so there's no telling how much we are below or above the salary cap. This is MLS after all.

By the time Miami gets a team he'll be 40...

9. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    “I like the MLS a lot,” Forlan said. “I would treat my time there as a holiday, I would love to go there and retire.”

Fixed for clarity.

10. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, ya got Baky back, so who the eff knows how tight the Fire is under the cap.

11. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Goff is reporting that TFC is currently in the running for Forlan if he comes to MLS.

12. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    If Diego Forlan comes to Chicago I will actually go to chicago fire games.
    Forlan=Legend

13. defendyourself

Jul 13, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TFC wins the sweepstakes according to Canadian media outlets. Big signing for them and the league

Unak78 repped this.
  14. marc2L

marc2L Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Welland
    Tim L gets his number 2 target for TFC

15. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    MLS defenders won't know how to stop this guy as long as he stays moderately healthy.

16. MrVancouver

MrVancouver Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Wow this would be insane for the MLS. This is second to beckham

17. marc2L

marc2L Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Welland
    Everybody is saying there's no deal, but it's the normal pre-transfer stuff.

18. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Yeah. The most useful way to spend a DP these days seems to be at the striker position. We've seen how guys like Henry, Di Vaio, Keane, Martins, and others have all taken to MLS. Forlan is probably behind only Henry in terms of ability.

Forlan's great, but Henry is still second to Beckham in terms of career accomplishments and name value. The only thing that would have trumped that was if we had gotten Ronaldinho. Perhaps getting Kaka would be close.

Forlan's throwing cold water on this one like if it was a hot mess.
    http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1...orlan-denies-toronto-fc-move-imminent?cc=5901

19. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So you live in Chicago?

20. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hoping you are right. The more ways I can prove to people I know that MLS is a real league the better. :D

21. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    yup.

22. revsfan603

revsfan603 Member

New England Revolution
    Jun 20, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    ADO Den Haag
    I disagree, I think any good player, playing at one of the top 5 european clubs would of been just as big, as friendlies have show there is a large number of epl fans in America.

23. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cool. I must ask though, why don't you attend the Fire games? I know you are not a Eurosnob who is anti-MLS because we have no pro/rel etc etc because you follow Afghan football with a passion (and the APL is also non-pro/rel as well :) ).

24. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    During fall, spring, and winter I watch it mostly on TV because of School, Studying and all of that awesome stuff...... :(
    But I go to some of their games during summer and since Diego Forlan is my favorite player OF ALL TIME it will make me try harder to make it to some of their games during all those other seasons.

25. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well that depends if he does go to Chi-town. I think it will be Toronto.

And that is my worry. Me, being a high-school student, I am able to watch MLS, I-League, Premier League and all the other leagues I like with ease with minimal difficulty. Once I get into college it will be hard to keep up with most of them.