Diego Fagundez

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by El Michael, Mar 30, 2011.

1. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Kid is absolutely electric, goal and assist today

2. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    He's running the Revs. Can't believe he's a 95.

And he's assisted both the goals if I'm not wrong!

3. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he's willing to wait for citizenship.

I'm afraid Uruguay won't, though.

4. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    He would look great in a US U20 YWC jersey in Turkey! The pain!!!!!!

5. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Blah :( Really wish he was close to citizenship.

Somebody get this kid a hooker he can fall in love with and play captain save-a-ho.

6. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonna be fun watching the next Rossi play for Uruguay at the 2018 World Cup...

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  7. Akhan786

Akhan786 Member

Mar 1, 2013
    What would be the earliest possible date for him to get citizenship?

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seven years probably.

9. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he got his green card in the next 12 months and got married, roughly 4 years. That's absolute best case scenario. So people probably need to accept that barring a major career downturn he will never play for the US.

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    My offer stands!

11. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I wish Robbie Rogers and Diego Fagundez exchanged jersey's instead of Landon and Diego.
    Could have helped us in the long run.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    And with his last name, you never know.

13. thewanderer9520

May 28, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I wouldn't compare him to Rossi. Rossi stiffed us. Fagundez is just a victim of poor immigration policy.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Unimpressive.

dougtee repped this.
  15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody needs to sign him up for the Green Card Lottery. Uruguay gets slots...

Of course, the reality is, even if he wins that lottery today, he's still 5 years away from citizenship minimum. Just have to hope Uruguay has no need for him at the U2os or other youth competition.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  16. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant Rossi in terms of ability, I think he can potentially be that good.

17. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    For me losing guys like Fagundez and Najar is almost worse than Rossi.

Unlike Rossi they come up through the US/MLS system exactly the way we dream a US player will, then they go play for another NT. I know neither were born here, but they were mainly raised here.

Rossi left at 13/14, right when US system (traditionally) starts to fail. And Rossi was pretty honest from Day One that it was Italia or Nada.

INKRO and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nah.

Fagundez, Najar, etc. are completely out of our control. The second the MLS clubs/USSF knew that these were talented players, they started working on citizenship. They're basically doing all they can. FCD was doing the same with Ruben Luna.

We need to help these players get citizenship of course. More importantly than Fagundez/Najar................we need to do our best to retain players that ARE actually eligible to play for us (say Richard Sanchez, John Anthony Brooks, etc.). Mexico's provisional Gold Cup roster includes two US-eligible players, and their Toulon roster features three. These are players we're actually losing. We're not losing Fagundez if Uruguay calls him up. He was never ours in the first place.

INKRO repped this.
  19. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

Yeah but dident Rossi finally move at 15 and still always came back to see family while all American stuff were his favorite things? except soccer?

20. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Here is not the right place to have the Rossi debate for the millionth time but I will just state my opinion.
    Subotic worse than Rossi because he flip flopped. Rossi to his credit always stated the same thing.
    Rossi's celebration after scoring against U.S.? Disgustingly classless.

21. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Anyway I think this thread should be closed until its clear Diego wants to play for US or he gets citizenship.

It's looking pretty clear that he's going to be another Najar at this point.

22. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Good News: The current senate immigration bill contains many of the DREAM acts provisions containing an expedited path to citizenship. Those provisions might apply to Fagundez (under 16 when he came, 5 consecutive years here, good kid? GED/diploma?). This bill has bipartisan support and is expected to pass the Senate within the next month. It is not clear to me how Fagundez's citizenship time period would be tolled (there is a 6 year period referenced and its not immediately clear to me when that period would have started per the Act...)

The Bad News: However, things are not looking good as certain House members have intimated that it doesn't have enough support. If there is a venn diagram somewhere showing "huge USMNT fans" and "congressional reps not otherwise inclined to support immigration reform" perhaps a Bigsoccer YNT forum drafted letter urging passage might be the tipping point?

:)

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  23. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

As of today, June 4th, the Senate bill doesn't have the 60 needed votes. Maybe in time it will.

24. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the word for "nothing" in Italian is "niente." :ROFLMAO:

25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Very good interview with Diego and he talks about his international future around the 8:50 mark.

Key word is "I would love to play for the US. If they could do anything to help me I would be (grateful)."

But it doesn't sound like it'll happen anytime soon.