Die Werkself: Bayer Leverkusen 2010-11 [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: Clubs' started by orng, Jun 30, 2010.

1. orng

orng Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You said this exact same thing before the start of last season. ;)

2. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Damn. I did? I'm not trying to jinx you guys. I really do like what you're doing! :D :cool:

3. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Boenisch pushed Kadlec out of the starting lineup last season because he was better so I wouldn't say the quality drop is too huge. He's solid as a temporary solution.

They signed this 19 year old lad Konstantinos Stafylidis from PAOK Thessaloniki for € 1.5m and they have huge expectations for him. He's apparently a major LB talent.

Let's see what he can do.

4. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've heard really good things about Stafylidis. Again, I really like what Bayer has done overall. I just have no confidence in Boesnich.

I've also heard from good sources that Kadlec wanted out. If that's the case, I don't blame Bayer one bit.

5. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Is Leverkusen still sniffing around folks, or are they content just patching the holes from last year and sitting on the team as is?

6. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    According to what I read on transfermarkt.de they are still eager to strengthen several positions. Notably a second striker behind Stefan Kießling and another versatile CB.

7. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Really? Not a creative midfielder to add to their physicality and guile?

footyfan1 repped this.
  8. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Who knows. Hyppiä said that he worries in case Kießling gets injured and their interest in Sokraits and Toby Alderweireld shows that they wish to strengthen their back-four.

Everything else is speculation.

9. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    I read that Leverkusen want to buy Jose Campana from Sevilla. He is one of the most promising central midfielders coming through from Spain. He is 20 years old and just played in the World Cup U20 for Spain.I think he was the captain in some games. The article said that they know they are going to lose Lars Bender sooner rather than later(probably next summer) so they are already looking for a replacement.

10. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The last interview I read from Lars Bender seems to indicate that he'll stay until 2015 because he said that he is no "club hopper" but he couldn't foresee what the situation will be like in two years...

11. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    Leverkusen are signing former Germany right back Roberto Hilbert from Besiktas. Free agent. 28 years old.

12. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BayArena tips from those that have been to a game there: (I will be going on Nov 30 weekend vs Nurnberg)
    1. How do you get the BayArena card? Are there kiosks outside the stadium that dispense this? I am aware you have to have this to buy concessions.
    2. Google translation is not great on the Bayer website, but is the team store open during matchdays? Are there other places, like in downtown Leverkusen that sell team jerseys or in Koln?

13. Lamprey

Lamprey Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Billy South Philly repped this.
  14. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't been for a good while, but I'll tell you what I did when I went.....

I actually don't remember if they did this when I went last in 2010. I've gone to other stadiums who use the cards those. In every other stadium, the kiosks for the cards are inside the stadium. At the other stadiums, you can get any unused money still on your card back after the match at certain kiosks or windows. Those are usually outside the stadium.

I'm sure there will be retail stores who sell jerseys in the "city." (Leverkusen is more of a "town" to me.) I don't know if there is a "Kaufhof" in Leverkusen, but even one in Koln would probably have Bayer jerseys. However, there will also be fan-shop kiosks at the stadium.

I read the Leverkusen fan shop page to say the fan shop at the stadium closes three and a half hours "before kickoff" to me. I find this unusual as fan shops at other stadiums usually close this amount of time after the match. But Leverkusen is an unusual place. It very well could be this. Meaning, if the match you're going to is a standard Saturday, 3:30 PM match, the fan shop closes at noon. Very unusual, but again, Leverkusen is an unusual place.......

I don't know if I've asked you this before, but are you actually in or from South Philly? I ask because I'm originally from Philly and graduated from Southern back in '84.

15. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It sounded really odd that they would close the fan shop 3.5 hours before kickoff. Every stadium fan shop I have been to closes at least an hour AFTER the game ends. Weird, just wasn't sure Google Translation acting up or what. I have heard Leverkusen is indeed a very traditional town. You mentioned fan kiosk inside the stadium. Really? Consider me surprised because I have never seen one in the European stadiums I have been to.

As for the card kiosks, many stadiums in Europe are converting to the no-cash model. Makes lines move quicker. Fortunately, the Bayer website indicates which kiosk company they use and will look for that logo.

As for the south Philly, I lived nearby the Italian market before moving to Coatesville for HS. That place is pure hell.

16. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it wasn't acting up. My German is pretty good and that's what their website says......

Fan shop kiosks? Dortmund has them inside the stadium as well as a big fan shop outside the stadium. I believe Frankfurt has them inside the stadium too. Don't really recall as I wasn't looking for them last time I was at the Commerzbank Arena. Friends have told me they have them at Mainz's Coface Arena. As I recall, they had fan shop trailers inside the gates at Frankenstadion (Nuernberg). But now, they just open the fan shop outside the stadium. I recall there being fan shop trailers at Kaiserslautern and Stuttgart. You won't find them at the Allianz Arena in Munich, but there's a Bayern fan shop on the premises I believe is open on Bundesliga and German Cup matchdays.

I will be really surprised if Leverkusen doesn't have someplace at the stadium you can buy shirts and other fan items on match day.

I know this. They were doing this before I left. I still have my Allianz Arena card. I didn't buy one in Dortmund the last time I was there as I don't usually do concessions at Westfalenstadion. Too much of a pain in the butt with the crowds. I used one in Ingolstadt last season. This is why I was saying in my original comments I know you can get any unused money on the card back by turning in the card. Different stadiums have different card service providers, but most of the programs work the same way.

Anyhow, you should have a great time at the BayArena. If you get there well before the game and go into the Lindner Hotel's bar for a drink or two, you might run into some club administrators and after the match, maybe some players.

I never lived in South Philly myself. I lived all the way up in West Oak Lane, but went to Southern for the foreign language program. Hung out in South Philly a lot though. Learned a lot about life I would have never known otherwise.......

17. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got some more information from other folks. Apparently, there is a store in the Rathaus-galerie in Wiesdorf Leverkusen that sells Bayer04 gear. Also, kiosks are plentiful inside the arena during match day. (which is smart because all pro sports in America have a team store inside the stadium/ arena. I think I will be golden. I want that black home kit.

18. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought they would have fan shop kiosks in the stadium. I believe most clubs have at least fan shop trailers around their stadium on match days.

I hope you have a great time when you're there. It is a very nice stadium to enjoy.

19. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I am looking forward to it. Bayer is very good team and I enjoy watching them play. I am also going to HSV vs 96 derby the prior weekend. I want a derby atmosphere. Looks like the stars aligned for me for this trip in November.

20. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Junior Fernandes scores first league goal with Dinamo Zagreb after 5 games total.

He has scored twice in 4 CL qualifications matches though.

21. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    What is the opinion of Leverkusen fans on this guy, btw?

22. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Not a Leverkusen fan, but unimpressed with his development so far. Has potential, but talent looks raw and unrefined. Really needs to work hard at Dinamo Zagreb and put up decent numbers or else don't see much future at Leverkusen. Sami Hyypia has expressed interest in acquiring another forward in case of injuries to core players so Fernandes' performance on loan will dictate whether he'll be part of the team's plans moving forward.

footyfan1 repped this.
  23. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Have you had the chance to see him play?

24. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Today's game against Schalke really made me wonder if that's already it for Leverkusen's transfer period.

Their tactical approach seems fine, Hyppiä is doing a good job but they lack individual quality. Aside from Lars Bender there is only Stefan Kießling who I'd say is international class. Hung-Min Son can develop into that category with time but I feel they need some more quality in CM/CAM.

Everything is on Lars Bender and he can't shoulder all that responsibility on his own. Still he was Leverkusen's best player against Schalke.

A little bit saddened by that. I wish they had more financial possibilities. Imagine what Bayer04 could do with Wolfsburg's funding.

Lahmfan repped this.
  25. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    #600 timh19, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
    Leverkusen is a counter attacking team. When they concede 1st, they struggle.

Their big problem just like last season is the lack of creativity. They need a playmaker like Goetze, Diego, Guendogan, Oezil,etc.
    They did try to buy Eriksen but he refused.
    I dont know if they will try to buy someone before the transfer window is over. Marko Marin on loan from Chelsea would have been a good option IMO. He moved to Sevilla and he's doing great as a number 10 so far.
    EDIT : Also, massive talents like Quintero and Lazar Markovic moved in the summer for 5M and 10M respectively. They would have been great coups for Leverkusen.