Die Eisernen - 1. FC Union Berlin

Discussion in 'Germany: Clubs' started by Dage, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I know I shouldn't but I'm starting to get some dreams of promotion. The field is just so wide open behind Furth and with our firepower, depth, home strength and team spirit I'm starting to think it may well be possible.

2. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So like go ********ing us! I may have missed the goal, as the first ten minutes of the second half where the part of the game I was still getting home from the store during, but the boys deserved it, we continue to just be so smooth in possession and created a few really good chances, including another long range blast from Kreilach that just drifted too high on him. My boy Quiring came on for Brandy early and was his feisty, fast and clever self. And we killed the game really well even if I would've have liked a second goal.

In the end a shutout win on the road to put Union atop the table...a perfectly normal English sentence...I won't let myself dream of the first league until we clinch it,so I'm just going to enjoy the piss out of this moment.

Dage repped this.
  3. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We have quality, depth and support worth 1. Bundesliga. Our possession game is something special in the 2nd Bundesliga. Great game.. I wonder how much the new stadium and the passion of the fans are somehow responsible not only for the good start but for the overall performance of the team. Oh boy, how would I appriciate a Berlin derby in the Bundesliga.. o_O

4. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah I might have to scrap my plans to cut my hair into a Mohawk that I would then paint in the German colors, just to make sure my shit talking in rio gets me stabbed, if a Berlin derby in the first league ever becomes a reality.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  5. Smoggyontour

Smoggyontour New Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Club:
    Middlesbrough FC
    Hey guys, I am coming over from England this Friday for the top of the table clash with Union and Furth... Will i be okay wearing my Boro/Middlesbrough shirt to the game?

6. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Shouldn't be a problem.. Enjoy the match and our beautiful stadion ;)

7. Smoggyontour

Smoggyontour New Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Club:
    Middlesbrough FC
    Thank you, i Will, I Need to get my self a Union shirt when i am there! Any info on where to drink with the fans Pre/Post kick off?

8. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #33 Dage, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
    The classic pub is the "Abseitsfalle" in the Hämmerlingstraße 80, right next to the stadium if you want to celebrate with Union fans. At station S-Bahnhof Köpenick is also a hot spot for fan groups. The beer in the stadion is relative cheap and good and it's packed way before kickoff so there you can meet people too.

Edit:

a somehow insider info: the stadion is payed and built by the fanbase itself so they're very sensible about how foreigners or visitors behave in it. There are quite a lot of green areas in the stadion area and some parts of it are a bit off. Don't go there to piss on the ground, I have heart and have seen by myself that Union ultras can be very "pissed" about that.

Or fanbase is very appealing and you will have a nice time there but the stadion is their holy ground.

You have to review your trip here dude!

9. Smoggyontour

Smoggyontour New Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Club:
    Middlesbrough FC
    Thanks, Ill take note of that, Really cant wait now, My first game in Germany and what a game to get too.

10. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's great! How you came to the idea watching a 2nd Bundesliga match? :)

11. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I like getting to the stadium early, partly because my grandparents love right down the street so I have to visit them before games and escaping that is always a plus, but also because it's a cool stadium that gets packed up early and you can find folks really easily, especially if you tell them that you've come to the Alte Forsterei for your first ever German match.

12. Smoggyontour

Smoggyontour New Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Club:
    Middlesbrough FC
    Every few months me and my friends will book a weekend away in Europe somewhere and take in a local game while we are at it (Love travelling and football so why not mix the Two) The last one we did was Barca and the atmosphere was terrible, it was way too touristy.

We Booked flights etc for Berlin before the Fixtures came out ... We had narrowed it down to Berlin, Amsterdam or Vienna. But deep down we all really fancied Berlin. It was a risk booking up before the fixtures came out because we really didnt want to go to a Hertha game as we understand the stadium is never full(And we get enough of that supporting mboro!!! haha) So thats why. WE are all turning into adopted Unioners. We have been doing a research on the clubs players, history and songs etc :)

Also maybe taking in an SV Babelsberg game on the Saturday.

Thats if i can manage to wake my self up after the friday night!

13. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #38 Dage, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
    1:0 so far, good first half. Both teams look passionate and determined but our fellow Unioners as winners of most od the critical battles in midfield, some very nice clean tacklings. The match is still wide open.

EDIT: damn **** First Tusche wasted a great chance and then Fürth scored a flipper goal! hum
    EDIT2: wtf .. 1-3 now.. Our defense fell apart after Brandy was subbed out because of a slight injury. Still half an hour to go, come on now!

14. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That was painful. We had the 2-0 on our most reliable scorers foot and not a minute later it was 1-1. Our d fell apart, but that's cause the team was forcing things as they tried to switch from bunkering and defending to getting back into the game.

*sigh* I wasn't expecting a win but this is still rough. We would've deserved the 2-0 had tusche done what he does 99 times out of a 100 in that situation and slotted it home.

15. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, let's call it destiny (when knowing about Union's record against Fürth) :D ... so take it easy. ;) After all, it was a really nice top game (with 6 goals) to watch.

16. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hard fought match so far with the lucky goal for our side. Let's see if Paderborn can raise up their game going forward. It's another nail baiter

17. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    FT: 3:0

Paderborn couldn' maintain their stability over 90 minutes and Union got the best of it scoring two more times. The last one was a nice ~30 meters free kick from Mattuschka!

Rosebud repped this.
  18. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I missed the match, but glad we were able to get a comfortable win, on the road none-the-less, to put us back on track. Plus we played the Kreilach, Ozbek, Tusche midfield trio that I think we need to use more against the top teams to solidify us in midfield.

19. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  20. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well the team's rollin :D

The bad part is that this season might be the last for this team as of now to play 1-2 seasons in the Bundesliga due to the average age of the team. It's the highest of all 1st and 2nd Bundesliga teams so I fear if we miss to go up this year it will hurt us to get promoted next year, cause then the core of the team will be 3 years older, when they play 1st league football
    If we rebuild after this season I think it could need another whole cycle to be a contender to get promoted again.

So this season could be deceisive for Union considering the direction the club as a whole is turning for the next 4-5 years.

21. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I have faith in the work the youth teams are doing. I think Quiring is first BuLi caliber and Jopek will get there soon once he's healthy again, and those are just the guys who've already put in work for the senior team. Bennie, Tusche, Pfertzel, Kohlmann, Stuff and Eggiman are getting old, but Tusche's the only one I don't think we've already got a younger replacement for already on the team.

I mean

Terodde/Nemec/Skrzybski
    Jopek/Quiring - Dausch/Zejnullahu - Brandy/Razeek
    Oezbek/Koch - Kreilach
    Parensen - Puncec - Schoenheim - Kopplin/Weibach

Is our 30 and under team with Nemec and Brandy being the two 28 year olds, Parensen, Dausch and Oezbek the 27 year olds, and after that the oldest players are Terodde at 25 and Schoenheim at 26. Everybody else is 23 or younger. If we miss and can buy craftily like we did this summer with Brandy, Kreilach, Koehler, Eggiman and Dausch, we'll be absolutely in the mix again next year, while the youth will be a year more developed.

22. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well.. it's true we have a nice amount of youngsters in the club but this was not my point. I totally trust our board to have a successful team transformation in the next couple of years. The point is, that we won't be strong enough to go up during the process and our most promising youngsters who already have first team expirences can easily go to other clubs, you can't rely on them. I don't complain about this possibility, it's just how football functions but this team as of now deserve! to play first league football and it may be their last chance to do so before the club is forced to rebuild.

My above post was a bit misleading my intention. Union as a whole has not a problem at all the next years.. who knows maybe it's better over all to not go up. But I want to see this team beeing recognized because it's special and a counterdraft to all these Hoppenheims, RB Leipzigs, Neverkusens and also to those overly marketed clubs like St. Pauli or other clubs with big history and poor selfish management like Dresden, HSV or 1860.

Clubs like FC Union are the real thing, at least for me and long story short I just wanna see Mattuschka kickin Hertha asses in 1st Bundesliga!!! ;)

23. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I just think that even if we fail to achieve promotion this season we can be in the race next season as the oldies won't all drop off at once as parts get older and less effective we can rely more and more on the youngsters that will remain. I just think with the way the team is assembled we have the opportunity to make a very smooth transition and maintaining our play as long as we can replace the defectors.

This all presupposes Tusche still has another year or two left in him, as he is irreplaceable, I don't even want to think about this team no longer having him play an instrumental role in everything.

24. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Derbytime! It's going against one of the best offensive teams of the league, Energie Cottbus! Although they scored 18 goals they also condeded almost as much and are currently on the 10th place 8 points behind us. Could be a great match with a lot of goals because our defense sometimes isn't that iron abroad as it should be.. 30 minutes to kickoff!

My prediction: 2-2

25. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    After the last somewhat subpar performances we need to build more confidence again due winning at home against Erzgebirge Aue. They are a good team here is hoping for a thrilling match.