Die Eisernen - 1. FC Union Berlin

Discussion in 'Germany: Clubs' started by Dage, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]
    Hi folks,​
    I was searching for one of the most interesting football projects in current German football culture - 1. FC Union Berlin, shortly called Union Berlin, Eisern Union or just Union located at the neighborhood of Köpenick.​
    The occassion was yesterday's pre season friendly against the Scottish champion Celtic Glasgow in celebration of the dedication of the new main stand of "Alte Försterei". It was mainly built and funded by the fans of the club itself during 140.000 hours of unpiad time. It's a special club and for close followers more a family than just a hobby. They e.g. meet every christmas to celebrate together in a packed stadium.​
    [​IMG]
    Coming back to yesterday's clash Union won 3:0 convincingly and the fans including the brilliant Celtic fans celebrated the whole event long time after the final whistle, including a grand display of fireworks, light and music.​
    Union Berlin has the team, the stadium and the fans to play for one of the first three places to maybe get promoted to Bundesliga after this season. Watch out ;)
    Torsten Mattuschka du bist der beste Mann,​
    Torsten Mattuschka, du kannst was keiner kann!​
    Torsten Mattuschka hau ihn rein für den Vereeeeein!​

Mailman44 and Ibid. Aja repped this.
  2. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not sure we're ready to push for the top 3, but accomplishing last seasons goal of top 5 should be doable. Especially if this Kreilach kid from Croatia can actually fill the hole create when we sold Markus Karl last winter as Ozbek wasn't quite what was need in the holding role.

Fortunately Union's youth teams have been doing very well lately and joining Jopek and Quiring, who are already in the first team, will be Forward Stefan Skrzybski and attacking mid Eroll Zejnullahu. So that this team can continue scoring goals at a great pace for the 2nd BuLi. Unfortunately the defense in front of Haas is still a big question mark, although Puncec growing and the signing of Eggiman will leave us less weak there.

3. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  4. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Eggimann had a pretty good match yesterday. It was noticeable that Union always wanted to build up out of the defense, there were extremely few long balls from the back line/goaly even under pressure. They get a lot out of that match because they just don't only tried to win but tried to shapen up their team play. It was impressive how they dominated midfield and center of the field and were quicker and more vigorous in tacklings. They work pretty nice as a team even so early in the season. The 2nd Bundesliga is pretty strong with around 10 teams who are able to push for the first 3 places so nothing is decided yet but Union will play a good season.

5. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The team does have great team spirit and fight, which is why we don't care if the team wins or losses, these guys give it their all. And we are strong in the midfield and upfront for this level, but I can't trust that D until they show they're not the same mess we had last year.

6. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Let's conserve this thread over the season, maybe we can attract somebody with it ;)

Was there yesterday with my little 12 years old stepbrother who is actually liking Hertha BSC and he was never been there before but it turned out after the match that he desperatly wanted to buy a Union scarf. Let's see how that will end up :D

7. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Die Alte Forsterei has that effect on people. The feeling you get when you're swaying and singing with 18 thousand standing fans who care the way union fans do is incredibly power. The olympiastadion is a great stadium and all, but that atmosphere there is such crap in comparison that I just can't understand Hertha fans.

8. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I am actually a lot more optimistic about our D than I sound, Karl played a big role as the holder and Ozbek was not right for the role, but a croat friend has said good things about Kreilach that make me optimistic he'll fill that role much better and maybe replace Karl. And defensively we can't be as bad as last year, Puncec is a year older and here for the long haul, Eggiman is a quality signing for this level to join him in the middle, and between Parensen, Kopplin, Pfertzel and Kohlmann we have fine, if unspectacular depth at FB.

I just never expect to see Union in the first BuLi which is why I'll never expect us to make the top 3, but the team will be good this year to go with the great spirit and attitude that they always bring, so we should be in for another wonderful season, although this year I won't be visiting Berlin to inspire the team to go on a serious streak the way they did when I visited last novemeber.

9. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sunday the first league match this season against Bochum at Alte Försterei. Still tickets avaiable (12,50€ for students)!

10. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My sister might be there, lucky little bitch.

11. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Rough but not completely unexpected opener. Hopefully this'll quiet the promotion talk so the team can just play. Still sucks to lose a game where we were clearly the better team through much of the match even if we failed to capitalize in the final third. After their fluke goal things got better for 10 minutes as the team crafted a number of good opportunities. Kreilach scored a beautiful goal off the FK to tie things up late and not a minute later Eggiman handed it all back with tough penalty.

Oh well, still a lot of season to go. I did like what I saw out of Dausch and I like seeing us using a Krielach-Ozbek-Mattuschka trio in midfield rather than the 4-1-3-2 we played for much of last season. Ozbek looked a lot better than he did at any point and the young Croat looks like he just might perfectly replace Karl. Did not like what I saw out of the new guy Brandy, but he played hard and has some skill to work with. Overall not the worst start to the season despite the loss. The midfield trio was great, we just need to get the wingers and strikers to start clicking. And the D did look better, they got opened on some counters and that penalty was terrible but the first goal was a complete fluke and they corralled most of Bochum's counters very well.

Lamprey repped this.
  12. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Woo we're through to the 2nd round after a fun game to watch. Regensburg came out and controlled position, Union couldn't put together much and had to sit deep until right around the 20 minute mark when JR took the lead and less than a minute later Soren Brandy stole it right back. Brandy certainly left a much better impression than he did in the BuLi opener, also getting the assist on what would turn out to be the game winner. But after that flurry of goals our eiserne got into the game and earned back their goal, which lead to clever patient buildup that saw Kohler head in the winner. I missed the first ten minutes of the second half but it was a reasonably open affair when I did get back until the Penalty and harsh red on Pferzel, who's failed clearance was also what lead to the 1-0. Luckily Regensburg missed their elf-er and the boys were able to run the game out.

13. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Couldn't see the match tonight .. Great result :)

14. herthabsc

herthabsc Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Es gibt nur eine Macht an der Spree...

Just kidding. I'm old enough that most of my memories are pre-rivalry. Pulling for you lot on all your matches (except against St Pauli).

15. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So, we did start with a win a tie and a lose into the season which is way better than last year's start :D I'm ok with that at this point.

16. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Die Eisernen are currently playing Düsseldorf, which could be seen as a "6 Punktespiel" in the end. Union leading 1:0 at half time and is the better team in every aspect. In the beginning of 2nd half Düsseldorf seem to show a reaction, could be a nail biter eventually.

EDIT: 55. minute 2:0 Nemec after a _great_ free kick by Tusche!!(both goals Nemec)

17. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It was the mentioned nail biter in the end. Düsseldorf had a nice finish pulling forward coming close to the tie. Great game to watch.

With these three points Union now is 5th with 7 points out of 4 matches which is a good start especially for Union who actually start bad into seasons..

Man of the match: Adam Nemec

[​IMG]

Rosebud repped this.
  18. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My Eiserne concede another second half goal but continue their roll, brandy continues to look like a nuasance and Nemec slotted home two nice headers. Haas continues to play hero behind our backline, keeping Dusseldorf from equalizing late from point blank range, I still laugh that Hoffenheim let him go in favor of Wiese.

Kreilach in midfield has been that Karl replacement I've wanted since the winter and actually brings more moving forward as we're a very fluid attacking side in possession. Kohler deserves some love to as he's often unheralded but has played a key role in the three wins in a row Union have slapped on the board. Gotta keep working on that backline and keep experimenting with the Kreilach, Ozbek, Mattuschka trio that we've seen from time to time in midfield, but this season looks like another in which we can improve on our finish last year. Promotion is still just a dream, but we'll be in the mix.

19. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #19 Rosebud, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
    Well you are a bigger man than me. While I don't hate Hertha, I don't think I could hate any club from Berlin that's not BFC just for not being BFC, I certainly do enjoying watching Hertha stumble and despite the big opener I see a lot stumbling in hertha's future this season.

I expect we will continue our Berliner-derbies next year, and one of these days we'll become Berlin's most successful club. Especially if we can continue beating Hertha to most of Berlin's most talented youth as our academies and junior sides have surpassed hertha's as the best way for a young footballer in Berlin to actually turn into a professional.

Sure they'll always be bigger and have that monster stadium that they don't know what they're doing with as it's far too big for the club that plays in it. But union have really been trending upwards for a very good long while now, and with the junioren success, the senior team establishing themselves in the top half of BuLi 2, and the newly renovated stadium, that next step into real promotion candidates may not be that far off.

20. Kampfschwein

Kampfschwein Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hopefully in BL1!

Union's on an upward trajectory.

21. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, n it is exciting, but I thi
    again I doubt it's in the first BuLi. our team certainly is on the rise, especially at the youth level, but I'm not going to get my hopes up, even with the youth team success and stadium expansion I can't see us ever financially being able to put together a 1st league team.

That said I do think we have some players who could help a first league team at some point, guys like Quiring, Jopek, now Kreilach and maybe brandy if he keeps this up, and we do play an attractive style, but I can't even let first league dreams enter my mind as an union fan. I'm just happy as long as they're playing hard and doing so with courage.

22. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I missed the first half, but a nice away point. We were the better side in the second half and really earned that point. The goal was a very crafty maneuver from brandy and then tusche to leave Kreilach with a nice and simple tap in. We actually could've won, had a few couple very dangerous breaks where we just couldn't turn them into goals, but all in all I'm pleased. I generally don't expect anything out of away matches against all but the bottom tier of BuLi 2. As it is our home form at the Alte Forsterei that has gotten us this far.

So far so good on the new year, sure we deserved more out of the opener, but since then the team's really started to settle, Kohler and Brandy have been dangerous off of the wings, Tusche's his awesome self, Kreilach's been great, and our goals have almost all come from smooth and crafty attacking moves as the team plays some very slick and attractive footbal.

23. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Mov-in on up, to the east side
    To a de-lux apartment, in the sky-hy

I didn't catch the game but did almost wake up the girl sleeping next to me when I checked the score when I woke up 5 minutes ago. Down 2-0 6 minutes and we turned it around? That game must have been amazing to be at.

24. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Union were much better except of these first 5 minutes. The team played patient and confident with a again great Tusche. That was fun.

2nd place in the table so far.. :)

25. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bummed I missed it. We got back at around 4 yesterday so I was thinking about staying up to watch it, ultimately ended up passing out but I'll take that result without getting to see it. What a fantastic start