Diamonds in the Rough... or Worms Under a Rock? The Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Val1, Oct 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Players only care about salaries not the team's bottom line. Does Dortmund pay their players as much as we do? I'm guessing not, as our wage bill in 140+ million, while theirs is around 80 mil.

DaPrince84 and Tonerl repped this.
  2. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    and yet in the last 5 years arsenal's growth in turnover has been circa 33% while dortmund's has been circa 99%. you did realise that arsenal had tied themselves into a dreadful shirt sales deal, right? the club gets a pittance of the profit from that. bvb probably earn more with a third of the sales arsenal have. in fact, bvb make almost exactly double what we do on the commercial side, and i think it's fair to say that arsenal have maxed themselves out on the matchday income, which bvb definitely haven't.
    there's no doubt arsenal are the richer club and pay bigger wages (in general), but don't delude yourself by thinking that fans in america (or anywhere else) make a big difference.
    when you think about it, as a player you're already earning a huge amount of money whichever club you're at. you walk out onto the dortmund pitch and the place is rocking with 80,000 LOUD fans. you walk out onto the arsenal pitch and for 60,000 fans it's remarkably subdued most of the time, and what exactly have arsenal won in, say, the last 20 years? a hell of a lot less than dortmund.

3. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not a delusion. Just a fact. Teams wouldn't flock to the USA and Asia every offseason if they didn't have something to gain from a branding/marketing standpoint. Expanding your brand into new markets has obvious benefits, and Dortmund simply doesn't have the same cachet around the globe as a team like Arsenal or Milan.

4. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    and yet if you were a player seriously looking to win things and had a choice, you probably wouldn't pick arsenal. the stats don't lie.
    also, take our commercial income (£46) and minus off everything that isn't a shirt sale income (ie. ground naming rights, shirt makers deal, shirt sponsorship deal, those citroen seats, all the adverts around the ground, etc etc etc) and see just how little arsenal shirt sales account for.

5. Emperor_Norton

Jun 14, 2007
    Well, if you only compare the number of Polish soccer fans to the number of US soccer fans, it is probably pretty even.

6. Emperor_Norton

Jun 14, 2007
    Arsenal is a great club. But I think you are a little bit exaggerating here. You won`t see Dortmund players leave for Arsenal, when they have the chance to play for Real,Barca,Bayern,Man Utd, City or Chelsea. Arsenal is not at the top of the food chain. And if Arsenal doesn`t change its recruitment policy, it will struggle to attract Dortmund players.

7. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Fair point, but Dortmund's bottom line growth has been staggering - they've gotten what we got from the Emirates, only without a new stadium and without the highest ticket prices in the world. While players don't really care about the bottom line, Dortmund has the room to add to their wage bill - to the tune of about 40 million in wages, and they don't have the dead wood on their payroll as we do on ours. Incidentally, because they play a lighter schedule than we do, they don't have to have as much depth, which means they actually have the ability to pay the likes of Lewandowski, Gotze, and Hummels more than we can.

8. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Giroud is a better player for Arsenal than Ba would be - Ba is, no doubt, a better player in space, but teams don't give us the kind of space that a player like Ba needs.

I am curious as to why you think Gotze wouldn't go for 40. He's 20 years old, is absolutely brilliant technically, can pass the ball well, has good vision, can finish, and has a motor which means he also tracks back and defends. And his movement is intelligent to boot.

9. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for them. Get back to me when they actually start paying those salaries. For example, Goetze is making around 70k a week, about the same as Walcott, Gervinho, and Arteta. His former teammate Kagawa is making 95k a week at ManU.

Tonerl repped this.
  10. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A fair amount actually, yes.

11. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    Lol

12. Munchlaxatives

Aug 13, 2008
    Houston
    It's hard to say Goetze wouldn't go for 40m when I saw reports that Dortmund wouldn't have accepted that offer from Arsenal.

13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's very injury prone though and I think that might affect the price

Ba does most things better than giroud too imo. Quicker and a good finisher but slightly worse aerially.

14. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sure, but why would Gotze come to Arsenal? He's been at Dortmund since he was something like 8 years old, and someone on here said he still lives at home. Especially when Dortmund can bump him up to something like 150k a week without breaking a sweat.

15. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ba is quicker to be sure, but I've complained about Giroud's lack of pace before. It's unclear how good a finisher Ba would be in really tight spaces against a packed defense. This is called the Jermaine Defoe Problem (TM).

16. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What are u on about tight spac es? Newcastle aren't offered loads of space and they are reasonably fluid in the final third. He is a quality player. Also Dortmund will never pay anyone 150k a week as the only time they would do that is if barca or real came offering that much and he will surely leave regardless

17. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I may have to take back what I said. A couple of his finishes from last season were in really tight spaces. Also, love the use of the opening theme from Assassin's Creed 2 in this video.

Still think Dortmund give enough money to Gotze when Madrid comes calling to make him think twice.

18. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Dortmund were bankrupt a few years ago, of course they would need to have growth to get to this point but its unfair to use their growth against Arsenal's. they had to buy their stadium back a few years ago after having to sell it to make ends meet.

19. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    dortmund were never bankrupt, and the growth comparison is for turnover only. their debt had little effect on turnover.

20. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    well apologies for using the wrong word, but that club was in dire straits financially.

Its why we stole Rosicky from them for so cheap.

21. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    to a degree, but the figures i used are from 2007-2012 and 2007 is the year they 1) bought back the stadium 2) the deferred rent and rates from previous years kicked in. their "bad" financial period was 2002ish-2006ish. by 2007 they had sorted their finances out.
    you are missing the point though. the growth is based on turnover and there is no reason it can't be comparable with arsenal. their debt doesn't really change any of the turnover figures. dortmund have increased their turnover by 89m in that timeframe. we increased ours by 58m. obviously we make more in the first place and our turnover will increase with new commercial deals, but we aren't the only ones getting new deals (i think dortmund's current shirt sponsorship ends this summer EDIT: just checked. it's now been renewed until 2016) and since none of us know where the ceiling is (if there is one) all we can say for sure is that dortmund are catching up on the financial front, and remarkably quickly too.

22. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    if Dortmund's shirt deal is up around 20 million a year, then I will be concerned in the short term. It wont come close to that.

What I will say, and have said for a while now, is that the Bundesliga is on the come up.

23. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    their old deal was £6m per year, plus performance bonuses. apparently the new deal is around £8m per year, plus performance bonuses.

24. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    this is what I figured.

Arsenal's issues are incompetency, but still have a better chance to earn more money commercially due to the league, city, and club's prestige.

25. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He won't, but if he did, it would be for the money. Understand?