Diamonds in the Rough... or Worms Under a Rock? The Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Val1, Oct 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    gervinho must be traded

i say athletico should offer 20 milly plus falcao

Grand_Rapids_Gunner and R9Kevinr9 repped this.
  2. Rojinegro1

Rojinegro1 Member+

Jun 26, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Damn I was hoping we would sign him on loan; I think what we really need is a creative presence in the midfield/wing and a DM, Henry would be sort of that extra that would thrive with Cazorla/Wilshire/Isco serving him.

3. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Adrian Lopez's wikipedia has been changed as an Arsenal player. Expect every dumb newspaper to take it as fact by tomorrow.

4. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wenger:
    Encouraging talk...also FWIW he was very frank in his entire post-match interview today

5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Its the impossible call. Is wenger arrogant and refuses to spend big or is the board tighter than a nuns arse? It seems like he wants to spend some money atm and our board is a bunch of basts so i expect 15 mill or so to be spent on a player to paper up the cracks but not fix our cm and lb issue

6. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Would love if Wenger got pissed and bought Baines and Fellaini.

7. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A whole lot of stuff on Theo re signing for 4 years and 90k p/w floating around today.

8. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Meh. If this is true, expect the Adebayor-like badge kissing to commence in 3....2.....1...

9. totalfootball9

Feb 27, 2007
    Central PA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wenger needs to sign Villa and Snjider now. We need the experience both of those players provide. I know most will say they are old or we dont need Snjider, if so I believe you have fallen ill to the ArseneWengerinitis.....

10. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope we get Theo locked up. I was thinking today that if AFC are ok with offering 80K a week to Wilshere, who has done far less than Theo in an AFC shirt then how much is Theo really worth? At least 90-100K? I think he can get more elsewhere in England but we can get the deal done around that number.

11. fari

fari Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Denver,CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

one maybe but not both...moratti has sneijder on silly money and i expect villa would command heft wages as well

12. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you can be against those signings without being accused of a "head in the sand" mentality. To have "Wengeritis", you would have to advocate for no "name" signings.

I think we need two (actually more) world-class players, I just don't want the two mentioned.

13. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Hopefully we buy 2 players this Jan. If we do I think we can get into the top 4. We desperately need someone to come into midfield and give Wilshere/Arteta a break. I think Rosicky will be able to give Cazorla breaks but hasn't happened yet. Also a LB would be great.

14. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Word is Manutd in for Sneijder with Nani going the other way.

Sneijder would be a great signing but won't happen.

As for Theo, meh, I'd rather they sell him and sign someone who actually is consistent. For me Theo is not worth the money, and I am including the inflated sense of worth attached to England internationals, English players, International Players and Inflation due to Chavs/Citeh/PSG etal

15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yeah let's sell theo and rely on superior foreign talent like gervinho/podolski/giroud

16. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being a little harsh or Giroud maybe? 11 goals and 9 assists in half a season.

17. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    hey, bigman just pulled "an antifan"!

18. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poor Kagawa...LOL

19. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Darren Fletcher crocked or what? Seems to me he would help Villa/QPR/Fulham/Wigan quite a bit.

20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    giroud has been ok but theo has been better this year imo

21. Rojinegro1

Rojinegro1 Member+

Jun 26, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No way we get Villa, Barcelona is not stupid enough to let a player like him go with the big matches coming up second half of the season.

22. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Yes but only 6 goals in 19 PL appearances. And 1 goal in 5 CL games...

23. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    he's been making his way back recently after being out for ages with that stomach problem.

24. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    I agree on those numbers. If Arsenal does sign Theo, something tells me he will be the "new signing". Wenger wonts pend more than another 5-6 million this window. If Theo leaves, at least that means Arsene will likely sign at least one other player in the 10-15 million range...hopefully in this window.

25. ZIAD

ZIAD Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Saddly in previous years we spoke about improving our depth as our main starters are/will challenge for trophies. Its very much opposite today. Its not only buying expensive players, we need to shift the mediocre and also try to find an identity to this team. I'm still not sure what we are atm, are we a counter attacking team? A possession technical team? We've got speed, but we don't know how to use it, and our passing is poor. I think we are more capable to passing better, but our front three need to improve for it work. Maybe playing with three strikers is not such a great strategy as it affects our passing ability. As much as we hated the ********er when he left but Nasri was a main reason the midfield was able to find a fluid connection with our attackers.

I rate Giroud, but I still question if he's starting material for a club like Arsenal. He definitely adds something to the team and will hopefully keep improving in the season but is he the distributor we are looking for? I also think we can utilize his physical presence more effectively if we can consistently cross the ball in the box. Still think though we can do better in this position.

I also think we definitely need a LB that will contribute more to the attacking play. Gibbs is good, but he's injury prone and needs some serious competition.

We also need a CDM. Arteta is a very intelligent player and has been immense this season, but this is not his natural position. He's much more effective while attacking. He packs a very strong and accurate long distance shot which we have missed this season and his experience in the final third is also much needed. We were stupid for letting Song go without a replacement in mind. Yes he made a lot of mistakes, but he was a physical beast in the middle, strong ability to tackle and lets not forget his long passing attribute. We must find a solution in this area.