Diamonds in the Rough... or Worms Under a Rock? The Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Val1, Oct 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Delicious if true.

2. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    i think it might be. it's been mentioned on twitter a few times earlier today.

3. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    If its true, you wont find me complaining. This will give us a lot of options. I cant see him making a big impact this season but it should give us decent rotation if Theo gets an extended run up front.

The big plus side is his future potential and the possibility of building a midfield with him, Ox, Jack, Ramsey and Walcott in the mix. #brightfuture

R9Kevinr9 repped this.
  4. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately i've gotten cynical to the point that any signing is evidence that another player is leaving.

VAComet85 and daedalus repped this.
  5. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's hope it's Gervinho and not Walcott.

Based on the highlights I've seen, Zaha would be an awesome get. And pairing him with guys like Wilshere and Ox would be consistent with Arsene's new "English core" obsession.

6. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    i'd be very very surprised if zaha is ready for, or even intended for, the first team this season. if it's true he has signed, he might still be at palace until next season.

Romfordray repped this.
  7. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Thinking of Zaha and Chambo on the flanks and potentially Theo up top would be fantastic.

8. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It would continue the English revolution at the club as well.

9. VAComet85

VAComet85 Member

Dec 23, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone is dumb enough to pay Gervais what we do at this point Ive got a bridge to sell them. I hope you're right though, the thought of Theo in a Liverpool shirt makes me nauseous...

10. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    He is very raw but dam, really talented. I hope he comes to Arsenal in Jan. Screw summer, the guy is class. He will have a lot of frustrating games for us but I'm thinking he will go on some serious runs.

11. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    When Arsene spoke about consolidating an English core at Arsenal, I realy began to think that Zaha may be signing with us.

I still remember watching him play at OT, when Palace beat Utd, and thought that he was a fantastic player. I distinctly remember waiting to see what his name was, since it was the first time I'd seen him.

12. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    From what I understand, IG is more like a recording secretary for Stan Kroenke. Which is okay I suppose, but I can't conceive why we have to pay him 2M GBP/year.

It's hard to really conceive Arsenal as a cheap club when we pay Wenger and IG almost 10M GBP combined. I'd be shocked if this hasn't come up in Walcott's contract negotiations.

13. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Maybe. I'd rather have someone we know is good, like Isco, instead of someone we hope will be good in the future.

Footy Magoo repped this.
  14. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Not for me. Giroud/Podolski on top, Theo/Isco/Cazorla on the wings.

15. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Zaha would be a great pickup. To be fair, that whole Palace side is pretty good, it would be fun to have them in the Prem next year.

Looking at how he played against Utd there's nothing to say he couldn't be a decent contributor right off the bat. If he comes he plays ahead of Ricky in my ideal world

gunner0007 repped this.
  16. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you suggesting that we make Walcott both manager and CEO? Or maybe you think that our next manager will be paid significantly less?

17. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    No. I'm suggesting that at various points during the contract negotiations between Team Walcott and Arsenal, where there are suggestions made about Walcott's worth or justified wage relative to this or that, Walcott's agent says, "Fcuk it, I don't care. These two idiots make 10M GBP and they don't do shit. If you think our offer overpays my client, that's just what you have to do then."

As far as the next manager goes I would hope and expect that he makes significantly less than 7M GBP, since that basically applies to every manager in the world except for maybe a half dozen guys.

18. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you don't want a top manager at Arsenal?

19. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    I do. I don't think the top managers are necessarily the best paid ones, Arsene Wenger is a perfect case in point. We could get an actual good manager instead, get the squad to play better on game day, then use the money we save by paying toward player wages and transfer fees.

20. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *strikes KozIsCul!

How dare you talk about Wenger that way!

But seriously, he earns his money in my eyes

21. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Thats not really Arsene's style. If you are an EU citizen and Arsenal buy you you're gonna come into the club straight away and start adapting to our style especially if we have paid double digits. Im pretty sure Walcott and Ox were wanted back by Southampton as was Ramsey at Cardiff.

22. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Goal.com, AFC had tabled a 10 M bid for Adrian Lopez. It seems that Arsene
    is showing some sense of urgency! We have the Zaha rumors, now this Lopez story. Is Santa finally coming to the Emirates this year? :)

23. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isco has become Koz's new Mata.

I can't wait until he's still railing about this one 4 freaking years from now.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  24. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    i'll still be doing it re:mata in 2 years time :mad:

25. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's starting to get sillier. Ba, Turan, Lopez... the list goes on. I'd be thrilled if we nabbed someone in the first couple days of the window, though.